MassPackersFan
14 years ago
Link 

UserPostedImage

Draft puts Packers ahead of the 3-4 curve

By Steve Wyche | NFL.com
Senior Writer

Editor's note: This is the second in a series of occasional offseason stories following the progress of the Green Bay Packers' installation of a 3-4 defense and the challenges facing teams that switch base formations.

Stage II of the transition is under way in Green Bay. The draft supplied the Packers with the nose tackle (B.J. Raji) and the outside linebacker (Clay Matthews) they need to expedite their switch to the 3-4 defense (three linemen, four linebackers). Proper personnel is required to make the trendy, successful defense work and the Packers may have put themselves ahead of the curve by selecting two talented young players who fit the blueprint.

"In any defense you try to project how a guy is going to fit in to the things you're trying to do, no matter what defense you're playing," Green Bay's new defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. "Good football players will normally end up playing, but there are certain areas you might emphasize a little more depending on the scheme qualities you need to have."

That's why Kansas City bypassed a standout player like Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry for LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson and San Diego replenished its outside linebacker stock with Northern Illinois' Larry English instead of taking an inside linebacker like USC's Rey Maualuga. Jackson and English fit the 3-4 scheme those teams play.

Jackson, at 6-foot-4 and 295 pounds, is a prototypical 3-4 end, like Pittsburgh's Brett Keisel, who stifles tackles and sometimes tight ends, so linebackers can clean up the ball carrier or get to the quarterback. English (6-2, 274) is put together like Baltimore outside linebacker Terrell Suggs and possesses the versatility to play on the line against the run or in coverage. He can capitalize on the freedoms the three brutes on the defensive line provide him.

They are scheme-specific players, much the way Mississippi's 6-2, 298-pound defensive tackle Peria Jerry is an ideal fit for Atlanta's 4-3 front. In that scheme, the emphasis is less on massive lineman holding up blockers so linebackers can make plays and more on the quick, agile linemen making plays themselves.

Raji (6-2, 337) is the mold for a 3-4 nose tackle. Matthews (6-3, 240) has the size and ability to play outside linebacker in any scheme. They were chosen in the draft at No. 9 and No. 26 overall, respectively. Five of Green Bay's eight draft picks came on defense.

"There's been a lot mentioned about the guys we took in the first round being prototype 3-4 players," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "I believe that they could play in any defense or scheme. They are that talented and versatile. The fact that they look a little more prototypical for a 3-4 is fine with us, but you have to be more well-rounded than that."

"We like the guys," Thompson added. "We think they are good players and they'll play well in our system."

The Packers, like Denver and Kansas City, are switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. The moves are being made, in part, because coaches or management have used the schemes before. They're also being implemented because of the success of 3-4 teams like Super Bowl-champion Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Dallas, Miami, New England and the New York Jets.

For Green Bay, the change also was made because what it was doing didn't work. The Packers allowed 23.8 points per game, 334 total yards and 131.6 rushing yards in 2008.

The 3-4 is alluring, because of it allows defensive coordinators to mask coverages and blitzes - in a 4-3, the safety or a linebacker tends to tip those before the snap - and because it gives athletic linebackers more freedom to make plays. Three of the top four sack leaders from 2008 were 3-4 outside linebackers. Harrison, one of two Steelers outside linebackers to finish among the top 10 in sacks (LaMarr Woodley was the other), was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, followed by Dallas' DeMarcus Ware, who like Harrison, is a 3-4 linebacker.

"There is a transition but our guys are pretty excited about it," Thompson said. "We have, for a number of years, tried to add and keep as many versatile players as we could. Guys like Cullen Jenkins, who is an untypical body type but has tremendous ability to play defensive end, he moves down inside in (substitution) packages."

It's hard to make a blunt transition from one scheme to the other because it takes time to get the proper personnel in place. The Packers are making quick headway.

They plan to move former 4-3 defensive end Aaron Kampman to a 3-4 outside linebacker on the left side, Capers said. Matthews is projected to work his way into the rotation or into a starting spot at right outside linebacker.

"He's got a little height to him, some suddenness," Capers said of Matthews after the Packers' non-contact, rookie minicamp. "He has the build of a pass rusher but he's physically tough enough to play the run. He is going to do nothing but continue to get better. He made a lot of strides during his time at USC. He is a motivated young man. He'll leave no stone unturned in terms of trying to get better."

Raji, meanwhile, could be the key to the defensive front. The cog in a 3-4 is a massive, space-eating, tough guy (Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton or Baltimore's Haloti Ngata, for example) who can hold up a center and a guard without giving up ground. If there is too much give at that spot, then the defense is vulnerable. Guards and lead blockers (fullbacks or H-backs) can blow through a hole, swallow linebackers and force safeties to make tackles.

Raji, who played in a four-man front at Boston College, boasts the skill set to play the unglamorous position. He will initially rotate with Ryan Pickett (6-2, 330), with the starter being determined during training camp. Capers said both are athletic enough for the non-starter to be moved to defensive end.

That is a whole lot of beef up front.

Raji "gives us really good flexibility," Capers said. "We're going to have to see how fast he picks things up and comes along. I sure like what he brings in terms of size and ability."

While many rookies will struggle with learning a new scheme or adjusting to the NFL lifestyle, Raji and Matthews are pretty much on equal footing with their veteran teammates in terms of learning the new defense.

Capers said their development will become evident during OTAs, which leads to Thompson's point of the best football player emerging, regardless of the scheme.

"The defense offers a few more things in the packages to get your blood flowing," Thompson said. "Dom and his staff have been very good about showing what we can do if we do this thing right."
UserPostedImage
Mckennj3
14 years ago
I love throwing two impact players from the draft into this scheme, it only speeds up the tansition and i can see either being key players.
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
Blank402
14 years ago
I think some have been making too big a deal out of the switch to the 3-4. Some have been going so far as to say it'll be 2-3 years before we make a full adjustment. In my opinion the hardest part of the transition for the players will be learning the new playbook with all of its terminology, and it's not like they haven't had to do things like that before. I'm not saying we'll automatically have a top ten D next year, but I don't think the struggles are going to be as hard as some are making them out to be.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
:lol:

good article. The reason I got a chuckle out of that is you keep hearing people saying over and over that we draft BPA and not need. This clearly shows that the '09 was a needs draft and not BPA. Or it was one hell of a coincidence the BPAs were exactly our needs.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
I believe it is argueable he took the best player available, especially with Matthews. At least I hope they turn out to be the best players. It was a real bonus that they were also positions of need.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (19h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (19h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (20h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (20h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.