14 years ago

Don't forget people were bashing Ted Thompson also

"dd80forever" wrote:

Some still are.......and still think they are right for doing so.

"Cheesey" wrote:

That usually what happens when you go 6-10

Fire Ted Thompson Now!

"jdog2" wrote:

7th post on a completely different topic. That must be some kind of broken record record.

Collins is a dynamic player. I hope he can stick around because he is capable of making impact plays in games, and if we end up having to let him go somewhere else due to contract issues, even if we put a solid starter in his place, we will still miss those plays when we see him doing it on another team.
My only small concern with him is being able to pick up the scheme quickly, as "QB" of the defense. I would have that concern with most people though, short of Leroy Butler. Hopefully he can spend some time with Anthony Smith.

I disagree with the people who say he jumped on some easy picks and that's all he did last year. His speed coverage back there was high quality. If you watch the Colts game again, he was one of the main people who made that a laugher, not just with the pick 6, but with plays like that high flying deflection of a sure TD pass. That is a throw that Manning is almost always capable of making.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago

That usually what happens when you go 6-10

Fire Ted Thompson Now!

"dd80forever" wrote:

I would bet a grand that if you ever ran into him in a bar you would be sucking up to him like a 12 year old girl at a Britney Spears concert, and asking for an autograph and a picture.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Pack93z
14 years ago
Per usual, the media runs with an angle, the fans buy into said angle and start to judge. I mark myself guilty a ton of the time..

But it is getting hammered home daily that journalists are using less and less integrity in writing articles, checking sources creditability and picking up the phone and asking the player in question directly before running to the release.. apparently timing is more important than being fair and through in any reports these days.

Unless it is an official release from the league or directly quoted from the player themselves, I think we all need to show restrain before passing judgment.

Was some of it contract related.. only Collins knows for sure, but until he proves otherwise, I will take is word as truth and move forward.

Yes.. like the government, I am becoming less and less trustful of reporters in general.. at least the "look at me I am first" type outfits. Yes, the paints ESPN, CNNSI, PFTALK, Yahoo Sports, Fox Sports, etc.. broadly. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago

And here everyone was trashing Collins ;)

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

I know you're saying that in jest, but all along, I was thinking something was really bad with the 3rd child (i.e. health), and Nick and his wife are worried. I hope not. I'd actually rather something bad was happening with the contract. The health of one's child is probably the scariest thing out there.

"The contract was never an issue," he said. "Y'all are the ones writing all that stuff about a contract. I haven't said a word about a contract so my thing is I have family issues that I'm taking care of and that's what I'm dealing with."

He's probably telling the truth and maybe Mike McCarthy is saying contract issues to take some heat off of Nick. Some matters are private. What if the child was born deformed or with a bad heart or something else? Do you think Nick and his wife want all that media attention? I wouldn't.

Well, I'm hoping the best for Nick and his family. In '09, Nick Collins will be a Green Bay Packer, and a damn good one.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Per usual, the media runs with an angle, the fans buy into said angle and start to judge.

"pack93z" wrote:

It's not just sports. I won't mention anything political, so I'll use the swine flu as an example.

Millions of people will die! Ah! We're all doomed!

People here were panicking. I've seen people walking down the streets with those stupid Michael Jackson masks. I wanted to stop and laugh in their faces.

The media blows EVERYTHING out of proportion for a story.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
The problem is reporters actually feel some weird compulsion to beat out the Twitterers, the bloggers, and the rumor mongers in a desperate quest to be first, to have the scoop, so our sports pages have degenerated into little more than gossip rags. It's quite disgusting to me. I'd far rather wait a couple of days for the truth than be jerked back and forth every few hours with anonymous sources who have no accountability.
UserPostedImage
wils0646
14 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44794397.html 

Collins does have "family issues"
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
May. 12, 2009 2:30 p.m.

Green Bay - Packers safety Nick Collins does have a serious family issue he is dealing with, two sources confirmed.

Collins told the Journal Sentinel on Monday he has been absent from voluntary off-season workouts because of "family issues" and not because of his desire for a contract extension.

"The contract was never an issue," Collins said. "Y'all are the ones writing all that stuff about a contract. I haven't said a word about a contract so my thing is, I have family issues that I'm taking care of and that's what I'm dealing with."

Because Collins has stated his desire to keep his situation private, the Journal Sentinel will respect his wishes and not report further on the subject.

Collins does want a contract extension, a source said, and the team knows that. What came first, the family issue or contract demands, is not known. It is also unclear how both will affect his attendance at off-season practices, which are also voluntary, or the mandatory mini-camp (June 22-24).

Off-season practices commence May 26.

The Pack Will Be Back.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Because Collins has stated his desire to keep his situation private, the Journal Sentinel will respect his wishes and not report further on the subject.

I greatly appreciate that!
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
14 years ago
That's what happens when you make it to the Pro Bowl. No matter how much of a good guy you are, the great players around you will say your play is worth much more than your contract, and you have to take advantage of the situation.

Andrew Brandt wrote a piece about how much he hates it when his players go to the Pro Bowl. But it's a double-edged sword. The Pro Bowl finally gives players the chance of recognition, but it's also something that affects contracts as well.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
dd80forever
14 years ago
Notebook: S Nick Collins won't commit to attending OTAs

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090511/PKR01/90511165/1057/PKR&located=RSS 

MARSHFIELD Green Bay Packers safety Nick Collins wouldnt say Monday whether he plans to attend any of the teams upcoming organized team activities after skipping some voluntary workouts last month because of what sources said was unhappiness with his contract.
Advertisement
Quantcast

Collins, who took part in the Packers Tailgate Tour along with linebacker Brady Poppinga, wide receiver Jordy Nelson and Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy, said he believes he deserves a new contract.

Yeah, I feel like I deserve it, Collins said. Its been. this year, I just go out there and played my guts out. I think Im deserving of whatever the Green Bay offer is.

You know, Im not pushing them to do anything. Im just going out there to help this team win the best I can.

Collins didnt want to discuss the details of contract negotiations with the Packers.

Right now, Im here enjoying the tailgate, Collins said. Im not really worried about my contract. If you have questions, just talk to my agent. I leave that up to him and the organization.

Collins agent, David Butz, could not be reached for comment on Monday.

Collins belief that he has earned a new contract stems from his breakout 2008 season, one in which he made his first Pro Bowl and returned three of his seven interceptions for touchdowns.

Collins is entering the last season of a five-year contract he signed in 2005 after the Packers selected him in the second round of the NFL draft. He is due $3.045 million in 2009 up from $545,000 after an escalator clause kicked in.

Collins said he understands the NFL is a business, and he knows the life of a football player can be short. If there were ever a chance to cash in, now would seem to be the time.

Thats the game plan, Collins said. But sometimes the game plan doesnt always work. So you just have to deal with the situation and go from there. But, hopefully, if you play good, you see a lot of guys being signed (after) having a great year.

Hopefully, that will be me one day.

After skipping some of the early voluntary offseason workouts, Collins attended more recent sessions, Packers coach Mike McCarthy confirmed last week. Collins attendance on the Tailgate Tour also could be an indication he and the Packers have discussed a new deal.

Money issues aside, Collins said hes excited about the Packers 3-4 defense, although it could take a while to get adjusted to the new scheme for some players.

Both Collins and Poppinga believe the defense should be much improved from last season under defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

It depends on the person, and how determined he is to learn the defense, Collins said. I think everybody in the Packers organization is dedicated to learning the defense so we can just go out there and be a dominating defense this year.

Its a defense that a safety would love to be in. Everybody is on the same page. Just go out and have fun.

The Packers' tour bus is scheduled to make stops in Hudson, Platteville and Beaver Dam in the next three days.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.