dd80forever
14 years ago

Thanks Dingus.
Thats what i thought. Ali was "the greatest", but didn't know when it was time to quit. He's paying for it DEARLY now.
I do NOT want that to happen to Favre. If thats considered "selfish" by some, for me to think that way, so be it.

If he does play, and does get hurt, i'll say "i told you so" to those that blasted me, or labeled me a "Favre hater" for saying i want him to walk away while he can still walk.
He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.....not even to himself. He IS one of the all time best. There is NO need to prove anything to anyone.
JMO of course, for what it's worth.

"longtimefan" wrote:

That's not up to you decide though, that's up to Brett. Brett may get banged up but he's not going to be like Ali.

It's a risk all players take. Football is a violent game. If you live in fear of injuries you might as well try golfing

"dd80forever" wrote:

I'm sorry, but at this point I think you're simply being obtuse so you can prolong an argument that's long since run out of steam.

If you can't distinguish genuine concern for a guy we cheered for 17 years from some ridiculous notion that anyone but Brett can make this decision, then, IMO, you're being willfully ignorant.

Put simply (and yes, I've read enough of Cheesey's posts on this matter than I do feel I can speak for him), we're concerned simply because we're so damn fond of the guy. Just like I'd be concerned if my friend were going to do something risky for a reason I didn't agree with. Are we saying he can't? No. We're saying, that as fans*, we very much want him to be able to play around with his future grandchildren in some semblance of comfort.

I KNOW Brett Favre is tough. One of the toughest to play the game and for my money THE toughest QB, ever. I also know that somehow he's managed to go 17 years without getting his head taken off on the field and I know that sort of luck is NOT common.

I don't want his luck to run out. I don't want to see my favorite QB of all time laid out on a football field because one of the Joey Porters of the world lucked into a clean shot and let him have it w/ both barrels. I absolutely understand and respect that it's his decision and I wouldn't presume that he gives a rat's ass about my opinion. But it is my opinion that unless he is suffused with a desire to play football (not just to get back at his former employer), if he gets hurt in this attempt it will not have been worth it.

If you want to call me a hater or - once again - point out that it's his decision to make (even though I have stated as clearly as I'm able that I KNOW this), that's your call. I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone.

*and before I get dragged around, please be sure to have proof that I ever said I was not or stopped being a fan of Favre. You won't find it.

"Cheesey" wrote:

THANK YOU!!!!!
I thought maybe i wasn't getting my point accross clear enough.
I think you PROVED i have. (But some are just willingly ignorant)

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Cheesey, I'd appreciate if you didn't call me ignorant..

Secondly 39, you can choose to think I'm being obtuse and discard anything I say but you are 100% dead wrong.

In fact, since I was just called ignorant I'm going to be honest about what I think. This is not meant at a insult but I guess how I feel.

I think Cheesey's "love" for Brett's health is some of the phoniest BS I've ever heard. I mean where was he in 2005, 2006, and 2007 saying "please Brett don't play because you might get hurt"?

Hell should Woodson hang it up? He might get hurt too. Did he suggest William Henderson retire as he was getting long in the tooth?

Of course not. Noone cares, if they did, they wouldn't be a fan of a violent game. I don't cheer for players to get hurt but if my motivating factor is a players health, I'd watch golf.

Better yet will you cheer for Brett to "not get hit" by any Packer player if he signs with the Vikings? Of course you will. So you deeply care about Brett's health but if it involves your football team winning "to hell with him"?

I know you desire Brett to not play and not 1 ounce of it is about injuries. Should A-Rod not play because he might get injured as well?

Sorry, I'm not buying into this at all.

"dd80forever" wrote:

I dont think the health issue is even in the top 5 reasons why Alan doesnt want him to play..But it is something Alan can be worried about..Or isn't he allowed to be worried?

Just because he doesnt support him going to the Viks does not mean he wishes to see Brett injured enough to where he is missing time

Wait , I know!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like you, Heather, Tripp and others CANT root for him to do good vs the Packers, because that would mean your not a Pack fan..

I hope that came across as being sarcastic...

Because isnt it possible that Alan does worry about his health just like people can root for him AND the Packers?

"Cheesey" wrote:

Not sure I follow, sorry.

I do believe he wants Brett to remain healthy, who doesn't. I want all players to remain healthy. However, To say he should just hang it up because he might get injured doesn't make sense when the game you enjoy is based on inflicting physical punishment.

If you want to say all NFL players should hang it up, that would make sense but saying Brett should retire and C-Wood should still play doesn't add up.

Hell, if Brett did get hurt at 40 he'd probably still have suffered less severe injuries than 75% of the league.

It makes sense that he wants Brett to stay healthy by not playing. It doesn't make sense he wants Brett to not accept the risk yet the risk is OK for every other player. Does this mean Cheesey actually wants A-Rod to get hurt?
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

Thanks Dingus.
Thats what i thought. Ali was "the greatest", but didn't know when it was time to quit. He's paying for it DEARLY now.
I do NOT want that to happen to Favre. If thats considered "selfish" by some, for me to think that way, so be it.

If he does play, and does get hurt, i'll say "i told you so" to those that blasted me, or labeled me a "Favre hater" for saying i want him to walk away while he can still walk.
He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.....not even to himself. He IS one of the all time best. There is NO need to prove anything to anyone.
JMO of course, for what it's worth.

"dd80forever" wrote:

That's not up to you decide though, that's up to Brett. Brett may get banged up but he's not going to be like Ali.

It's a risk all players take. Football is a violent game. If you live in fear of injuries you might as well try golfing

"Cheesey" wrote:

I'm sorry, but at this point I think you're simply being obtuse so you can prolong an argument that's long since run out of steam.

If you can't distinguish genuine concern for a guy we cheered for 17 years from some ridiculous notion that anyone but Brett can make this decision, then, IMO, you're being willfully ignorant.

Put simply (and yes, I've read enough of Cheesey's posts on this matter than I do feel I can speak for him), we're concerned simply because we're so damn fond of the guy. Just like I'd be concerned if my friend were going to do something risky for a reason I didn't agree with. Are we saying he can't? No. We're saying, that as fans*, we very much want him to be able to play around with his future grandchildren in some semblance of comfort.

I KNOW Brett Favre is tough. One of the toughest to play the game and for my money THE toughest QB, ever. I also know that somehow he's managed to go 17 years without getting his head taken off on the field and I know that sort of luck is NOT common.

I don't want his luck to run out. I don't want to see my favorite QB of all time laid out on a football field because one of the Joey Porters of the world lucked into a clean shot and let him have it w/ both barrels. I absolutely understand and respect that it's his decision and I wouldn't presume that he gives a rat's ass about my opinion. But it is my opinion that unless he is suffused with a desire to play football (not just to get back at his former employer), if he gets hurt in this attempt it will not have been worth it.

If you want to call me a hater or - once again - point out that it's his decision to make (even though I have stated as clearly as I'm able that I KNOW this), that's your call. I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone.

*and before I get dragged around, please be sure to have proof that I ever said I was not or stopped being a fan of Favre. You won't find it.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

THANK YOU!!!!!
I thought maybe i wasn't getting my point accross clear enough.
I think you PROVED i have. (But some are just willingly ignorant)

"dd80forever" wrote:

Cheesey, I'd appreciate if you didn't call me ignorant..

Secondly 39, you can choose to think I'm being obtuse and discard anything I say but you are 100% dead wrong.

In fact, since I was just called ignorant I'm going to be honest about what I think. This is not meant at a insult but I guess how I feel.

I think Cheesey's "love" for Brett's health is some of the phoniest BS I've ever heard. I mean where was he in 2005, 2006, and 2007 saying "please Brett don't play because you might get hurt"?

Hell should Woodson hang it up? He might get hurt too. Did he suggest William Henderson retire as he was getting long in the tooth?

Of course not. Noone cares, if they did, they wouldn't be a fan of a violent game. I don't cheer for players to get hurt but if my motivating factor is a players health, I'd watch golf.

Better yet will you cheer for Brett to "not get hit" by any Packer player if he signs with the Vikings? Of course you will. So you deeply care about Brett's health but if it involves your football team winning "to hell with him"?

I know you desire Brett to not play and not 1 ounce of it is about injuries. Should A-Rod not play because he might get injured as well?

Sorry, I'm not buying into this at all.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I do love it when people respond as if I'm picking a fight when I'm not. The internet is a fun place.

I said that if you were going to insist that I'm not aware that it is Brett's decision to make whether he risks injury or not, then you would be being willfully ignorant. I did not call you or Heather ignorant. To choose to ignore something is to be willfully ignorant - there's a difference.

As for whether Woodson or Rodgers should play, I don't see how it's related, other than to bolster an argument (football is a violent sport and all the players take a risk, and it's their choice to do so) that I have never to this point disputed. I don't know how to say "I know it's Brett's choice" any more clearly than I have.

But I've long since past the point where I have any desire to continue this constant and pointless argument. He'll do what he wants to do, and I'll do what I did last year; I'll hope to hell he makes it to the end of the season in one piece.

Oh - and for the record, if he plays the Packers or any team, I can guarantee you that I will cheer for him not to get hit. Yep. Sure will.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
that's a lot of shit to read.... this is still directly talking about brett favre right?
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

I do believe he wants Brett to remain healthy, who doesn't. I want all players to remain healthy. However, To say he should just hang it up because he might get injured doesn't make sense when the game you enjoy is based on inflicting physical punishment.

"dd80forever" wrote:

I dont think Alan is using the injury risk for a reason for him to stay away....Come to think of it either am I...thats a chance all players take...

It is more of something like after the fact type of thing..
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
When my Lamborghini Diablo arrives I'm going to sit it in the garage and never drive it. I don't want to risk the tire wear or an accident. Instead, I'll just takes bunches of pictures of it and have my buddies over to check it out. Of course I'll have a barbed wire fence four feet away to prevent anyone touching it.

PFFFT PLAY THE MOTHER TRUCKING GAME!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
DD80.
Well.........you are wrong again.
I DO care if Favre gets hurt. And i might want him sacked if he plays us, but NOT hurt.
I'm 51 years old. I KNOW the difference between being in your 20's and early 30's, versus 40.
You are NOT physically the same as you get older. MUCH more prone to injury. Thats just the way it is.
Plus him dodging it all these years, to me, it puts the odds against him.

Sorry that you don't see that.
Oh.........and willingly ignorant does not mean you are ignorant. It's means you are dodging things on purpose. There's a big difference.
I'm sorry if you misunderstood what i meant. I wasn't calling you ignorant.
UserPostedImage