warhawk
14 years ago

I don't think it had as much to do with a 4-3 or a 3-4, but more with just picking the "Best Coach Available" type of signing. It was obvious (at least to me and our front office) that Sanders wasn't getting it done so he was fired along with the majority of our defensive staff. Next, we had to hire another coach. I don't think we were necessarily going out and looking for our next defensive coordinator to specifically run a 3-4, but just the best coach available. Obviously that consisted of Dom Capers, Mike Nolan (both 3-4 guys) and the fellow from Tennessee that went to the Saints (who runs a 4-3 I believe).

I kind of view it just like the Best Player Available strategy with the draft. Talent is talent and having an experienced, innovative, and talented coach such as Dom Capers is never a bad thing. A superb coach can overcome inexperience often with his players. It has been stated more then once in various articles that the significance of good coaching can NOT be overlooked.

But yeah, I think the whole 4-3 or 3-4 arguments are simply being thought about too much. Give me a talented coach that can get the most out of the players regardless of the scheme any day of the week. Let's not forget we have basically TWO experienced defensive coordinators on our staff, Dom and Trojak (sp?) from the Panther's.

I couldn't be more impressed with our re-alignment of our defensive coaching staff this off-season.

"Dulak" wrote:

Ya thats exactly what happened this off-season. We were going to get the best coach available for the job and it came out dom wasnt even our first choice (but I am glad now we got him). And he is the one that implemented the 3-4 - it wasnt Mike M that said we need a 3-4 D lets get a 3-4 DC

Makes perfect sense IMO to switch to the 3-4.

And ya soon after dom came in he said kampman would play with his hand down 50-60% of the time (ie 4-3).

dom also stated it will be a 3 year transition to a pure 3-4.

"doddpower" wrote:

I think the points here are what this guy is missing. Like Dom Capers is going to put Kampman in a position where he has to cover TE's more than he is going to be rushing the QB? Give me a break.

Like Porky and others here have said it would not surprise me at all to see more 4-3 than 3-4 this year and I expect that is what will happen. This is similar to what I think we will see with more of a power run game on offense being implemented when the situation calls for that too. We won't just shift over to power run offense but I have a feeling as the year goes along we will see more and more of that.

I think this guy thinks 3-4 and then evaluates personnel and starts sighting square pegs in a round hole scenario's and if that's what Capers would do or did in the past you wouldn't have seen him turn teams around like he has. I would be worried if you had to sell your soul on the 3-4 and it was an all or nothing proposition. But's it's not.

The other thing I agree with Dulak on is we have an all-star lineup of coaches on D now with Tgrovac, Perry, and, Capers. All veterans who know a little about defense. Big upgrade in coaching helps bring about big upgrades in performance I really don't care how the heck they line up.
"The train is leaving the station."
Tezzy
14 years ago

Once again I'll ask, what's so damn dominant about the Vikes D? Ten wins, our "shitty" team managed to beat them once and lose by a point the second time, what gives? I can think of a few D's I'd rather have than the vikes. I think you lose 1 of the Williams' and it's over.

And Capers has said the transition will be slow, They won't be running a full on 3-4 this season.

"dingus" wrote:

I'll give them domination points for being the first team to ever post the best rushing D three years in a row. Funny though that even with that the highest overall defense they have had in those 3 years is #6.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
dingus
14 years ago

Once again I'll ask, what's so damn dominant about the Vikes D? Ten wins, our "shitty" team managed to beat them once and lose by a point the second time, what gives? I can think of a few D's I'd rather have than the vikes. I think you lose 1 of the Williams' and it's over.

And Capers has said the transition will be slow, They won't be running a full on 3-4 this season.

"Tezzy" wrote:

I'll give them domination points for being the first team to ever post the best rushing D three years in a row. Funny though that even with that the highest overall defense they have had in those 3 years is #6.

"dingus" wrote:

Like I said, lose a Williams and its over! 1 Decent DB, One decent LB and the rest of the D is pedestrian.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago

Like I said, lose a Williams and its over! 1 Decent DB, One decent LB and the rest of the D is pedestrian.

"dingus" wrote:

And about 50% of me wants the Vikes to lose both Venus and Serena when we play in week 4.

I still wouldn't consider it all that fair if the NFL wins in court and they have to endure those suspensions...

But I'll take it!

I'll just have to keep going with my lame "Adrian Peterson should have been penalized at the end of that game" line.

You see, Mars,Formo and others have said that the league apology for not calling that penalty is a worthless piece of paper. (they are right, but don't tell 'em)

I plan to use the same logic when they (I am sure have already planned this) to whip out the, "We would have beat you if we had the Williams Wall" excuse.

My logic is no better than theirs, so we are even on that one. :icon_smile:
millertime
14 years ago
If Kampman can't adjust, we could always let him go in free agency and pick up someone who fits out scheme, someone named Shawne Merrimen that the financially-strapped Chargers will likely let go, seeing as they drafted his replacement (Larry English) this year.
mi_keys
14 years ago
I think another point to add to the one a lot of you have brought up and discussed is that Kampman played linebacker at Iowa and has the exact same build as a lot of the premier 3-4 pass rushing OLBs. He's also very athletic.

Indeed, the 6-feet-4, 288-pound Kampman turned in a solid audition in less than optimum conditions when scouts visited the Hawkeyes' campus last month. He was clocked between 4.66 and 4.70 seconds in the 40-yard dash, timed at about 4.04 seconds in the "short shuttle" drill, did a 35-inch vertical jump and a 9-feet, 9-inch long jump.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1361573 

Keep in mind he's also lighter now so he's probably even faster/quicker than those numbers suggest (provided those numbers were accurate to begin with).
Born and bred a cheesehead
porky88
14 years ago
Kampman's workout numbers > Terrell Suggs workout numbers.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Dulak
14 years ago

[quote="Tezzy"]

"dingus" wrote:

Jared Allen is a tough cookie <<< dont forget about him
DakotaT
14 years ago

"Tezzy" wrote:

"dingus" wrote:

Those run defense stats are distorted. Why run when you can pass all day on them. That being said, Jared Allen made a difference for them last year. I hope McCarthey learned a lesson last year on the fast track of the Metrodome. Keep a Tight End over there to chip and realease. I'm also hoping out new hammer for a fullback makes a difference in pass protection.

But Dingus is right, they are rather pedestrian in the secondary and at linebacker. I'll take our receiver matchups on them all day.
UserPostedImage
dingus
14 years ago
I Did forget about Jared Allen, I try not to think about that tool too much!
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (5h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (8h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (11h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (12h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (22h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.