Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Kicker Mason Crosby has seen a little bit of everything in his first two seasons in the NFL. Reflecting on the body of work thus far in his young career reveals plenty to take pride in, a couple of disappointments, and some oh-so-close calls, with a lot to look forward to in 2009.

The achievements
[ul]Coming off a rookie season in which he led the NFL in scoring with 141 points in 2007, Crosby added 127 points in his second year, and his two-year total of 268 points is more than any player in NFL history has scored in his first two seasons.

"I did not know that, but hearing it now, that's pretty sweet," said Crosby following a recent offseason workout. "It's really a credit to the team and the offense. These first two years have been unbelievable with how many points we're scoring, how many opportunities I'm getting to kick field goals. I'm just blessed and happy I get out on the field as much as I do.

"I think it's just going to continue on. We're a powerful offense and we're going to find ways to put points on the board."

Crosby also boosted his touchback total from 14 his rookie season to 17 last year, the most in a single season by a Packers kicker since 1972 when Chester Marcol had 28, and the most for this team since kickoffs were moved from the 35-yard line back to the 30 in 1994.

To improve on that in 2009, Crosby has his work cut out for him. He likely needs to be at or very near last year's total through the Thanksgiving game in Week 12, because the Packers play four potential cold-weather games in a row in December (two at home vs. Baltimore and Seattle, plus road contests at Chicago and Pittsburgh) when touchbacks could be harder to come by.

Still, it's a challenge he looks forward to.

"I want to always be going up, so next year I'm shooting for 20-plus," he said. "Touchbacks are important. It gets them started on the 20, and we don't have to bang around as much, so it keeps guys healthy.

"But at the same time I'm working on different things, focusing on hang time, distance and placing the ball, so if the conditions aren't perfect to crank one and go for that touchback we can still pin them deep. Ultimately, we have to do the best thing we can for our defense to keep them backed up."[/ul]

The disappointments
[ul]Without prompting, Crosby is the first to mention the two failed game-winning attempts that played a big part in Green Bay's 6-10 record in 2008.

After hitting a last-second game-winner in his first game as a pro to beat Philadelphia in the 2007 season opener, Crosby didn't get another such chance until Week 10 last year in the Metrodome, and his 52-yard attempt sailed just wide right with 26 seconds left in a 28-27 defeat to Minnesota.

Crosby recovered from the miss well, making nine straight field goals over the next five games, and was poised for redemption when lining up a 38-yarder in the final half-minute at Chicago in Week 16. But that try was blocked, and the Packers lost 20-17 in overtime.

"Those hurt," Crosby said. "But I try not to dwell on them, try not to think how could I have done it different. Last year I felt great with how I was contacting the ball, and it's one of those disappointing things where they didn't go the way I wanted them to."

Crosby knows he can't control when the game-on-the-line opportunities arise, but he can control his mental focus and preparation, and he has no doubts his confidence won't waver the next time that situation is upon him.

"Year to year it's going to be different, and I know I'm going to have more chances," he said. "Ultimately you want to win by 20 points but it doesn't always happen that way. I'm going to have a chance to kick those again this year, and I'm going to be ready just because my preparation and everything I'm going through is heightened even more."[/ul]

The close calls
[ul]That late-season heartbreak in Chicago contributed to Crosby narrowly missing his efficiency goal last season. He made 79.5 percent of his field goals as a rookie (31-of-39) and was aiming to improve that to 85 percent.

With two games remaining last year, Crosby was at 86.2 percent (25-of-29). But a miss in the third quarter at Chicago, followed by the block, plus a valiant effort at a 69-yard free kick in the season finale vs. Detroit left him with a 2-for-5 finish and 79.4 percent (27-of-34) for the year.

Had he made the long free kick - set up by a fair catch of a punt with no time remaining in the first half - he would have not only reached 82 percent but also shattered the NFL record for longest field goal. New Orleans' Tom Dempsey (1970) and Denver's Jason Elam (1998) share the mark at 63 yards.

Crosby struck it about as solidly as he could, and at first he felt it had a good chance, but the 10-degree wind-chill factor probably played a part in it falling just a couple of yards short.

"I think earlier in the year we might have gotten a little more carry," he said. "I thought I hit it well. When it came off my foot I kind of started going down the field after it, and I thought it was in. But that (north) end zone can be a little tricky, that wind starts swirling. Literally it looked like it was going and then was knocked down right in front of the uprights."

That said, Crosby proved he's got the leg to break the league record should he get another try. He had a 58-yarder in college, kicked at Miami, the third-longest field goal in the college or pro ranks kicked at sea level without a tee, behind Dempsey and New Orleans' Morten Andersen (60 yards vs. Chicago, 1990).

"Ultimately in the back of my mind that's always been a goal," Crosby said of the record. "In college I liked kicking the long ball, and I'm always confident outside of 55 and stuff like that. During pre-game I'll always try a couple long ones and see how I'm feeling. If we get the right circumstance and the right time ..."[/ul]

The future
[ul]Crosby, like many of his teammates, is genuinely fired up about the coming season, but he's pacing himself. He concentrated his work in the offseason strength and conditioning program on core exercises that help with stability, balance and flexibility, all valuable physical attributes for a kicker.

Now he's participating in organized team activities (OTAs), and the progression continues through training camp and the start of the regular season.

Crosby is keeping the intensity of his training and focus in step with that progression. It requires patience and diligence at the same time.

"In the offseason you try to take a break and you don't want to be gung-ho, because once you get in OTAs, training camp and the season, it's always 'on'," he said. "But at the same time I'm trying to stay sharp."

Sharp enough, hopefully, to add to the accomplishments, limit the disappointments, and get the close calls to go his way.

"It needs to be a good gradual climb so you go into that season feeling confident, feeling good," Crosby said. "I feel confident in my physical tools, feel good about how I'm approaching the game, and I just need to keep building that up until the season comes."[/ul]

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I think that we have a very good kicker in Crosby. He has tons of leg strength and he hasn't really dissapointed me.

Ofcourse he missed a few crucial kicks, but what kicker doesn't. He's been kicking at a very respectable 80%. He just needs to work on his accuracy a bit.

I like the way he kicks in these conditions aswell btw.
Stevetarded
14 years ago
yes, he seems to be just as accurate in bad weather as in good which I think is pretty special. Especially on this team.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Coming off a rookie season in which he led the NFL in scoring with 141 points in 2007, Crosby added 127 points in his second year, and his two-year total of 268 points is more than any player in NFL history has scored in his first two seasons.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Tsk-tsk. Ted Thompson is clearly no judge of talent. :pottytrain2:
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

Coming off a rookie season in which he led the NFL in scoring with 141 points in 2007, Crosby added 127 points in his second year, and his two-year total of 268 points is more than any player in NFL history has scored in his first two seasons.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Tsk-tsk. Ted Thompson is clearly no judge of talent. :pottytrain2:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Its funny we bark about all sorts of problems on our team but when it comes to great players sometimes we dont give them enough credit.

Glad we have this guy on our team

same like our FB core; I have no issues with our fullbacks ... awesome guys; make great plays; block well and great on short-yardage plays.
To be honest I wouldnt mind it if we included all 3 in the roster. (well assuming quinn does well enough in practice).
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I didn't like losing Longwell until he really started being a prick. I mean, I was sick of his every miss kick excuse, but he was usually spot on.

I'm glad Crosby won over Rayner. Rayner worried me.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago
Not a very good year for Crosby last season. The Packers were 27th in FG percentage.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
His percentage wasn't so great, but he actually improved the number of points he scored.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago

Not a very good year for Crosby last season. The Packers were 27th in FG percentage.

"IronMan" wrote:

Tsk, Tsk.....nevermiind, I won't take it off-topic
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
He nailed 46 of 46 extra points. Which is tied for first in the league last year.

1st - 20-29 range - 8 tries
30th - 30-39 range - 13 tries
9th - 40-49 range - 6 tries
17th - 50 + yards - 6 tries
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (19h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (19h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (20h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (20h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.