all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
Something doesn't quite add up....
Mike McCarthy has said on numerous occasions that the 3-4 install is largely geared towards their base D. Heck Mike McCarthy just last week said the 3-4 switch was aimed at maximizing Kamp's talents in the base D, where he has had only 3 total sacks the past 3 years.

Theoretically, from those statements Kampy still should be seeing a lot of time at DE in sub packages.

Either Mike McCarthy was lying, or Kampy's so drawn into learning the new techniques and plays that it hasn't hit home he'll still see more than enough time at DE.

Plus, like Kevin Greene said in one of his first interviews posted on Packers.com, being a 3-4 rusher added years to his career. Say what you will, Kampman is no fool. If he can add a couple of more years from this move, he won't mind in the long run.

Then there is the whole contract issue. Money has it's place, but Kamp has always seemed like a competitor to me. I'm sure if this D helps the team win, all dislikes will take a back seat. Winning is first and foremost to a lot of these players.

For what it's worth, I personally think Kamp is trying to defer judgment until he's more famililar and had more time in the system. I wouldn't say it's a matter of not being happy as much as it is a matter of being a uneasy about being taken out of your comfort zone.

Put simply, if this D helps the Packers win, Kampman will be more than fine with the switch. The move to the 3-4 was done with the intention of getting greater results (against the run, being more attacking, becoming a better D overall)... if the wins pile up, all the hard work will seem a lot less difficult than it does now.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Judging by his comments I'll also agree with the "he's not happy" side of the argument. HOWEVER, he's a professional and he understands that he has a job to do. This is why I'm not worried - Kampman is a consummate professional who will do his utmost in whatever capacity the Packers place him in. He may not have the success he originally had, but I have no doubts that he'll try just as hard.
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago
Who knows for certain what's going through the guy's head.
If he makes the change and does well with it, you will see his face light up, i'm sure. But there are very few that like to have their job changed, when they are doing well at it.
I have had that happen, and didn't like it at first. But after awhile, i saw that i could do that too, so it was no longer an issue.
If Kamp ends up getting sacks and INT's, he will be all smiles i believe.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

Thompson has every right to be happy.
Kampman has several valid reasons to be apprehensive.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

True but either guy can decide to be happy or apprehensive as much as they want.

I just hope he gets his head in the game
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Good post AADP.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I can't believe we have countless blog entries/articles/3 pages here about Kampman talking to the press and giving what amount to a "my answer is pending" response.

In more positive news, I feel slightly better about our RT position after hearing Barbre performed very well against Kampman in practice.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

In more positive news, I feel slightly better about our RT position after hearing Barbre performed very well against Kampman in practice.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

haha ya - I was thinking the same thing ... I was like errr kampman sounds like hes not doing that great but our RT hmmm looking good
Trippster
14 years ago
There is nothing in the laws of football that say a player has to like the system when it is changed. maybe Aaron is just the type of person that is reluctant to change, especially when he was successful the old way.

He needs to experience success that is all. It takes time to get the players to buy into the system. What you are seeing as Aaron not buying into it yet, but then he is the first to admit that he still needs to learn it. Once he learns it and realizes he will do will in it then he will buy into it.

Take the whole body of work people. Remember who he is as a person and how he has acted in the past when you think he is all of a sudden something he has not been in the past. (eg. Driver)
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Yerko
14 years ago
I got sick to my stomach watching all 6 minutes of that. Everyone knows Kampman is unhappy and who gives a damn. He is still practicing and still learning. At least he isn't laying face down on the ground kicking his feet and pounding his fists crying for a trade.
The guy talked to the media and they were ignorant. They were all reaching for Kampman to say something bad about the switch and he wasn't giving it to them because he is professional. Guess what, there are 10 other starters and some more back-ups learning this new defense as well. Kampman says one bad thing about the switch and that can have a negative affect on the entire team.
What was the point of asking him about his weight twice? Last time I checked, he was an okay size to play OLB and he has the speed at his weight. I wouldn't want to talk to the media either.

Look at the way those assholes handled the interview....not Kampman. They are the bad guys in this situation.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
14 years ago
I said this when the announcement was made to switch to the 3-4: It is not fair to Kampmann or Harris. He should be traded to Carolina for Peppers, and not because I want to see a one legged man in a skirt and pom poms either. Kampmann is a 4-3 DE and very good at it.

A lot of you guys get hung up on the personal side of the players on our team, whereas some of us look at these players more as assets. I think very highly of Aaron Kampmann, but I would understand a trade.

The way I see this shaking out is that Kampmann plays out his last year and then goes to free agency. We have two young fire pissers in Thompson and Matthews waiting in the weeds as well as Poppinga. It won't be popular and our usual suspects will rip the GM a new ass over and over and over again. But at the end of the day, this is a business and that's all it is.
UserPostedImage