bozz_2006
14 years ago
because he's our best pass rusher...
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago

ok, i do not want to be labeled a troll, because i love the packers, but here is my thoughts.

i think it would be easier to ask kampman to add 10lbs and keep him at de. i really wonder why some posters feel the packers can have a lber cover a te or rb over kampman.

can i ask who?? to me, this was a glaring weakness last year (rb & te running free over the middle of the field), so how can this be a solution to kampman being in coverage.

i really feel opposing offensive coordinators will try and expose #74 in coverage, and asking a lb or saftey to fill that void is a little scary right now. the packers do not have that lb or saftey on the team. maybe collins, but bigby better show some improvement because he was beaten deep many times last year. the guy can hit, but he looks so stiff when he runs.

"dhpackr" wrote:

DE in 3-4 is not a primary pass rusher but rather a player who eats up blockers and plugs holes. That would be somewhat analogous to putting Kampman at DT in a 4-3. OLB's in a 3-4 can be almost entirely pass rushers like DeMarcus Ware for example. Also, as some people have already said he could very well be used for zone coverages in which he will never have to man up against a RB or TE. He already has been used this way a couple times from a DE spot. That said, Kampman has the athleticism and speed to cover some backs and tight ends so he may well learn to do it for select cases or matchups. Mainly though, the point is to keep him in the best pass rushing spot on the defense which is the OLB in a 3-4.
Born and bred a cheesehead
dhazer
14 years ago
OK i see posters say if we plan on having AK cover just sub him out for another db or safety, I have to ask you this, wouldn't that give away what our defense was going to do?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

OK i see posters say if we plan on having AK cover just sub him out for another db or safety, I have to ask you this, wouldn't that give away what our defense was going to do?

"dhazer" wrote:

I'm with dhazer on this. He's right. Just like the issue we have with Brandon Jackson. When he's in, its obvious he's getting the ball on a pass most likely lol
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

Yes that would give it away.

I agree with having sub coverage packages and have Kampman at the line or bench him in those package but you have to use Kampman in coverage some or it's pointless to have him line him up at LB.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

You don't sub him out. You mess with the coverage schemes. The whole idea behind this D is to increase variability so that offenses (and especially QBs) don't know what they're going to see play to play.

Even if Kampman swings out into coverage on some plays, you still have the opportunity for a pass rush countless other ways.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
14 years ago
Really, Barnett, hawk or Matthews/Thompson and bigby/collins are going to see these coverage responsibilites about 90% of the time, kampman will drop into zone occasionally and man very rarely, and spend most of the time pass russing.

I think people are acting as if Kampman is going to be the only LB in the game, when in fact there will be 4 guys who will share coverage responsibilites, kampman of course seeing the least amount, even in that case i dont see it as being too predictable, you can still mix up which of the other 3 LBs is going to blitz, all or none, any combination, drop kampman into zone, etc. Also kampman has done pretty well even when the other team knew exactly what he was doing(IE: 2008 with every offensive line focusing exlusively on him).

Rushing 3 + Kamp isnt even considered a blitz, so its not like there is some glaring coverage weakness when Kamp is rushing the passer.

I can virtually garuntee it will be enough of a surprise when Kampman DOES drop into coverage, that it will be hard to focus on taking advantage, its not like he's going to be playing nickleback where they can just take shot after shot on him.
blank
dhpackr
14 years ago
I'd still like to know what lber, inside, outside, whatever is going to cover te and rb. it aint kampman, fine, he is out there to solely pressure the qb, but that kind of seems one dimensional to me, and will be easy for offenses to attack.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I'd still like to know what lber, inside, outside, whatever is going to cover te and rb. it aint kampman, fine, he is out there to solely pressure the qb, but that kind of seems one dimensional to me, and will be easy for offenses to attack.

"dhpackr" wrote:

But that means that you think we'll play man coverage most of the time. I think our inside guys will play a lot of zone in this scheme as well. It won't be totally one dimentional, since Kampman can just drop back in a shallow zone.

If we do go man, I think that we can get Hawk, Barnett and Chillar on a TE or RB. I don't know how good Thompson will be at covering, but I think that he'll make a good shallow zone coverer as well.
dhpackr
14 years ago
zone scares me
i kind of like a 4-3 line up featuring kampman and cullen jenkins at de. harrell and raji at dt. the linebackers would be barnett, hawk, and hopefully matthews. with clay playing the sam lber position.

i feel that way we are able to pressure the qb from de without a blitz, with bigby at ss and barnett at mlb and raji/harrell at dt we would be strong in the middle.

our corners are decent at man coverage, but i feel al harris will be tested for his starting spot by tramon because of tramon's speed factor over harris.

i'm hoping i will see harell make a impact on this defense this year.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste