Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

The pecking order will be established in the coming months, but in looking at the Packers' backup running backs at present, there's something a little different to like about each one. [img_r]http://i.packers.com/pg/wynn_deshawn_2007/photo11.jpg[/img_r]

At least that's the way running backs coach Edgar Bennett sees it, though Bennett wasn't about to predict at this early stage the role each player might fill.

"All these guys bring something unique to the table," Bennett said about Brandon Jackson, DeShawn Wynn and Kregg Lumpkin. "They're all pretty good football players, they're good runners with good instincts, good vision, and they try to make the most of every opportunity.

"I think we have an extremely competitive group, and I think they'll get better because of that competition."

Here's a quick look at each of the three, including their strengths and what they've been focusing on to improve their games:

Brandon Jackson: Now in his third year out of Nebraska, Jackson may be the most adept in the group at catching passes out of the backfield. The Packers have used him extensively in that role, and he has amassed 46 catches in his two seasons, just two shy of starter Ryan Grant over that same period.

Jackson, a second-round pick as an early entry in the 2007 NFL Draft, has felt comfortable as a receiver in the flat and on screens almost since the day he arrived.

"It was something we did a lot in college," he said. "We ran a West Coast system with coach (Bill) Callahan. I knew a lot when I got here and it was just getting the schemes down and some different wording."

The biggest hole in Jackson's resume is the explosive run. While he has improved at making tacklers miss over the past two years, only two of his 166 career touches (120 carries, 46 receptions) have gone for 20 yards or longer. [img_r]http://i.packers.com/pg/jackson_brandon_2008/photo1.jpg[/img_r]

But the breakaway runs could be just a matter of time. Despite a long run of just 32 yards last season, he did average 5.5 yards per carry, a nearly 2-yard improvement over his rookie season (3.6).

"More than anything else it's confidence," Bennett said. "He certainly has a good feel for our scheme and his preparation, and I think that helps his confidence level. Obviously as the game slows down for him, he'll be able to take advantage of it."

DeShawn Wynn: Perhaps the best of the bunch at blitz pickup and pass protection, Wynn showed just how valuable he can be in that department last season. Activated from the practice squad just the day before the game in Seattle, Wynn picked up Seahawks safety Brian Russell on a third-down blitz that allowed Aaron Rodgers to connect with Greg Jennings on a 45-yard touchdown pass.

"It's a big part of our offense, and that's one thing the coaches are looking for is who can protect No. 12," Wynn said. "It's all about looking at the defenses and anticipating for the most part what's coming. I was exposed to that in college. When I came here, it wasn't much of a transition as far as reading defenses, but being able to make the block is important too, as well as anticipating."

Wynn has definitely taken advantage of the relatively few opportunities that have come his way in games. In the season finale last year vs. Detroit, he got more than one carry in a game for the first time since Week 6 of his rookie season, and he responded by breaking off a 73-yard TD run and eclipsing 100 yards for the first time in his career.

The week before he also showed he could get the tough yard, getting the call on fourth-and-1 in Chicago and picking up 4.

But the knock on Wynn has been his health. During his rookie training camp, the seventh-round draft pick out of Florida battled all sorts of ailments and didn't practice full-go until the final week. Then he injured his shoulder in Week 7 that season at Denver and was done for the year.

Questions about his durability contributed to his early release in training camp last year, but then he was brought back to the practice squad after the final roster cut and found a way to contribute as the season went on.

"I think the past season and a half, he's done a good job as far as taking care of his body," Bennett said. "That was one of the big issues in the past as far as staying healthy, staying on the field and being available as well as accountable. So I certainly think he has improved in that area and he needs to continue to do that."

Kregg Lumpkin: An intriguing talent with largely unknown potential, Lumpkin actually beat out Wynn for a roster spot in training camp last season as a non-drafted rookie out of Georgia. He got his first opportunity to play in Week 2 at Detroit, and produced, totaling 41 yards from scrimmage on four touches (19 yards on one rush, 22 yards on three receptions). [img_r]http://www.kregglumpkin28.com/_img/extra_add.jpg[/img_r]

But less than two weeks later, Lumpkin suffered a serious hamstring injury that ultimately ended his season just as he was finding a role within the offense. Healthy now, Lumpkin will be fighting for a roster spot once again but may not yet have shown everything he can do.

"It was very hard, but things happen," Lumpkin said of the unfortunate injury. "You learn from each thing that comes to you. It builds character. Every time I look back on it, I just think about where I came from and what I have to do to get better and stay healthy."

Bennett has been most impressed with Lumpkin's instincts and his physical play. But he needs more time to see how those tools can benefit him on the field.

"I'm excited to see him get back out there," Bennett said. "I thought last year he was making good strides, and I'm kind of anxious to see if he will pick up where he left off last year and continue to grow and improve."

The other back in the mix to back up Grant is non-drafted rookie Tyrell Sutton from Northwestern, but because he's finishing school, he hasn't been able to take part yet in the current series of organized team activities (OTAs).

Custom would dictate that all four players are fighting for two backup spots behind Grant, but that's not necessarily set in stone. The fullback competition involving Korey Hall, John Kuhn and rookie Quinn Johnson could play a factor in available roster spots as well.

But no matter how many jobs are available, this close-knit group plans to push one another all the way through training camp. Each has his strengths that will allow him to shine at times, and that makes it all the more fun to compete.

"Oh yeah, it's very competitive -- in the classroom, in the weight room and on the field," Jackson said. "That's how we like to keep it. We're all tight, so if we have something to say, we'll say it to each other, not behind each other's back. That's what a group is. That's what it's all about."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Should be a pretty good battle for a spot on the roster at 3 and 4...
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I saw a little piece of footage from the Carolina @ Green Bay game. One of the Panthers' players talked about that they knew exactly what to do when Jackson came on to the field. Watch for the screen. He did that way too often last year. It just became obvious.

I'd like to see Jackson on the field in more situations than 3rd and long. I want to see him running the ball. Don't get Grant in there because he has the big contract, get him in there because he's the best runner. If not, let Jackson try a few caries. Go back to that Panthers game and you see how he tore them a new one in the second half. Same goes for the Chicago game where we used a two back system. He went 80 yards on 11 runs and 1 rec. for 6 yards in the Carolina game and 50 yards on 10 runs and 1 rec. for 5 yards in the Bears blow-out.

As for the other two. I like them. The problem I have is this one. We have arguably 4 average backs on the roster right now. Guys that are too good to release but too bad to get good trade value for. I would just try to get rid of Lumpkin and/or Wynn for the next draft (Asuming they won't have a break-out season) and try to get a guy in the 2nd round. There are a lot of hidden gems in the running back group, usually.

That said, I hope that at least one of these guys breaks through. It would be great that if Grant went down, we'd see Wynn pounding the ball in there and Jackson getting those big gains.
Dulak
14 years ago

I saw a little piece of footage from the Carolina @ Green Bay game. One of the Panthers' players talked about that they knew exactly what to do when Jackson came on to the field. Watch for the screen. He did that way too often last year. It just became obvious.

I'd like to see Jackson on the field in more situations than 3rd and long. I want to see him running the ball. Don't get Grant in there because he has the big contract, get him in there because he's the best runner. If not, let Jackson try a few caries. Go back to that Panthers game and you see how he tore them a new one in the second half. Same goes for the Chicago game where we used a two back system. He went 80 yards on 11 runs and 1 rec. for 6 yards in the Carolina game and 50 yards on 10 runs and 1 rec. for 5 yards in the Bears blow-out.

As for the other two. I like them. The problem I have is this one. We have arguably 4 average backs on the roster right now. Guys that are too good to release but too bad to get good trade value for. I would just try to get rid of Lumpkin and/or Wynn for the next draft (Asuming they won't have a break-out season) and try to get a guy in the 2nd round. There are a lot of hidden gems in the running back group, usually.

That said, I hope that at least one of these guys breaks through. It would be great that if Grant went down, we'd see Wynn pounding the ball in there and Jackson getting those big gains.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I agree Rock we need to mix it up when it comes to what plays we run with what people.

I really like this article - thanks for sharing. Why?
Cuz I like all our other backs better then grant :)

ya thats right ... I'd rather jackson, and a healthy wynn and lumpkin get the ball more then grant.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (26m) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.