dd80forever
14 years ago

Cassel was fighting for a job. Some other QB's don't have 3 years to learn the system. Others don't get to observe a first ballot hall-of-famer.

What's more pressure?

"mi_keys" wrote:

Cassel had 3 years
Cassel got to watch Brady

Every player getting their first chance at playing time is fighting for a job. If they don't perform they'll be dropped. The additional pressure on Rodgers did not come from some fans not liking him, it came from the fact that every single thing he did was compared to a former 3 time MVP, Super Bowl champion, and all time great. Cue Madden, "now here's a guy who when he ties his shoe lace he doesn't do it as fast as Brett Favre 'cause Brett Favre is great football and great football is about great football and BOOM tough actin' Tinactin." The conversations last year about injuries and needing a backup now that we don't have the ironman Brett Favre at the helm was evidence of this. The endless conversations about comebacks prove this. It is almost impossible to find a lengthy discussion of Favre or Rodgers without the other one being thrown in there and it ending up Favre's got a bigger dick, no Rodgers does. He is constantly compared to a level that at most 5 to 10 quarterbacks in the history of the NFL have met. That's pressure and just because he says he doesn't let any of this bother him doesn't mean it's not there.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Ummmm yes

Thats why it says "SOME OTHERS" and not Cassel's name.
blank
mi_keys
14 years ago

Cassel was fighting for a job. Some other QB's don't have 3 years to learn the system. Others don't get to observe a first ballot hall-of-famer.

What's more pressure?

"dd80forever" wrote:

Cassel had 3 years
Cassel got to watch Brady

Every player getting their first chance at playing time is fighting for a job. If they don't perform they'll be dropped. The additional pressure on Rodgers did not come from some fans not liking him, it came from the fact that every single thing he did was compared to a former 3 time MVP, Super Bowl champion, and all time great. Cue Madden, "now here's a guy who when he ties his shoe lace he doesn't do it as fast as Brett Favre 'cause Brett Favre is great football and great football is about great football and BOOM tough actin' Tinactin." The conversations last year about injuries and needing a backup now that we don't have the ironman Brett Favre at the helm was evidence of this. The endless conversations about comebacks prove this. It is almost impossible to find a lengthy discussion of Favre or Rodgers without the other one being thrown in there and it ending up Favre's got a bigger dick, no Rodgers does. He is constantly compared to a level that at most 5 to 10 quarterbacks in the history of the NFL have met. That's pressure and just because he says he doesn't let any of this bother him doesn't mean it's not there.

"mi_keys" wrote:

Ummmm yes

Thats why it says "SOME OTHERS" and not Cassel's name.

"dd80forever" wrote:

In the context of your posts I took it as some others as in not Rodgers. My bad.
Born and bred a cheesehead
mi_keys
14 years ago

Terry Bradshaw had it worse. For the love of god, his own COACH didn't like him.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

This is me acknowledging you Zero. It's okay, someone has heard you. By the way, I had heard some rumors of this I believe during one of those America's Game's series on the Steelers of the 70s. From my understanding Bradshaw is also reluctant to go back to Pittsburgh. What all happened and was he ever close to being run out of town?
Born and bred a cheesehead
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Terry Bradshaw had it worse. For the love of god, his own COACH didn't like him.

"mi_keys" wrote:

This is me acknowledging you Zero. It's okay, someone has heard you. By the way, I had heard some rumors of this I believe during one of those America's Game's series on the Steelers of the 70s. From my understanding Bradshaw is also reluctant to go back to Pittsburgh. What all happened and was he ever close to being run out of town?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Whew, finally! 🙂

From what I recall, Terry has NOT been back to Pittsburgh (unless he went back just recently) since his playing days. I don't remember the exact reasoning for his absence though.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"mi_keys" wrote:

Whew, finally! 🙂

From what I recall, Terry has NOT been back to Pittsburgh (unless he went back just recently) since his playing days. I don't remember the exact reasoning for his absence though.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

He did go back, it was recently, maybe few years ago however
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I thought so because that's how I first heard about his not going back there in a long long time. I thought it was mentioned because he was going back for something. I think his number retirement??
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago

I admire the wisdom here on Packers Discussion.

I would just like to see if the forum members can name JUST ONE.

Just one "Young First Year Starter" as an NFL QB, who has gone through more bull shit, fish bowl-looking glass, playing field, locker room scrutiny, hell hole opportunity, to make a first time, first year impression, that put up the numbers and stats that Aaron put up last year.

I just want to learn here... I need to know who has gone through more, and came out better than Rodgers did last year.

There is a great deal of NFL Historical Knowledge in this forum.

So... Go ahead and make the list.

Serious... Think about it... Think about what Aaron has gone through, and name ONE QB in NFL History who has handled it better, and put up better numbers.

There has to be one out there.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

1. Every time I look at your avatar of Kevin Greene, I get scared, like nervous, like you're going to kick my ass.

2. Your question of who had to go through what Aaron did and suceeded is pretty much ridiculous. Nobody has been in this situation before, ever. Even Montana/Young wasn't like this.

Rodgers had 3-4 years to prepare for this day, get in tune with his receivers and the playbook, etc. Not too much pressure there.

Who is under pressure? Jamarcus Russell, Matt Ryan, Cassell and most 1st overall pick quarterbacks who start in year one with no chance to sit for 3 years behind a hall of famer and learn how to play the game.

Wanna call Rodgers a "rookie" or "first year player", be my guest. But you know it's BS even if you dont say it.

Please dont kick my ass for disagreeing with you.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

The difference to me is with those guys they don't get criticized if they don't play as well as a hall of famer. Just imagine if Rodgers played as well as Jamarcus Russell, this place would be a friggen mad house (not that it isn't sometimes anyways).

Also for the most part 1st overall QBs get to step onto the field as a "hero" with people actually being happy about them being there. Rodgers got to step onto the field as the "enemy" to a ton of the fans.
blank
longtimefan
14 years ago

Bradshaw's anxieties about appearing in public, away from the controlled environment of a television studio, led to an unintentional estrangement from the Steelers.

When team founder and owner Art Rooney died in 1988, Bradshaw did not attend his funeral. A year later, during his Hall of Fame induction speech, Bradshaw made a point of saluting his late boss and friend, pointing to the sky and saying, "Art Rooney... boy, I tell you, I loved that man."

Still, Bradshaw never returned to Three Rivers Stadium for a Steelers game. When the last regular-season game was played there on December 16, 2000, Bradshaw was with the FOX NFL Sunday crew, doing their pregame show aboard the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman, while FOX covered the game live.

Bradshaw expressed regret that he couldn't be there, but would later say privately that he didn't feel he could face the crowds. It wouldn't be until September 2002 when fellow Hall of Fame teammate & longtime friend Mike Webster died that Bradshaw finally returned to Pittsburgh to attend his friend's funeral.

In November 2002, Bradshaw returned to the Steelers sideline for the first time in 20 years for a Monday night game between the Steelers and the Indianapolis Colts.

In 2003, when the Steelers played the 1,000th game in franchise history, FOX covered the game at Heinz Field, and Bradshaw returned to cover the game.

dhazer
14 years ago
Well i always believed having alot of pressure on you makes you a stronger person, in sports you see your great players thrive under pressure, it's a motivation tool for them.

I'm not saying Rodgers isn't going to be great and i'm not saying he is but being under pressure is a good thing in my mind. How many of these big name college players come in and get handed starting jobs just because of where they were drafted and then end up as flops, they really don't have the pressure. Other examples is look at players in contract years they have a tendency to play better and why is that? The pressure is there that they have to perform well to get the big payday.

So with saying that all pressure is tough and there is no real way to judge who has more pressure. The ones i would say that have the most pressure are the guys trying to make the team so they get a paycheck to take care of their families.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
musccy
14 years ago
agreed stevetarded, etc. Terrell Buckley and Tony Mandrich were once deemed starters by the organization, but that doesn't mean they get a free career pass, you still have to perform. Aaron Rodgers still had to step up to the plate last year, otherwise Flynn, Brohm, and some FA vetran would be competing for the starting job as we speak.

Since Rodgers had a pretty good year last year, so many people forget the circumstances surrounding him. I don't care if he had 60 years to prepare. Probably half the fan base, in some way, wanted to blame Rogers for the 'untimely' exit ofof their hero, so he had to perform favre-like every single game. That's a $hitty situation to walk into.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (13h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.