dfosterf
14 years ago

5.0 mil base
2,812,500 PRSB
400k (25k per game PLAYED min 12 Pack makes playoffs)
310k PRSB from rookie contract already paid

8, 522, 500

1.85 mil base
2,812,500 PRSB
400k (25k per game PLAYED min 12 Pack makes playoffs)
400k (25k per game ON 45 man roster no min)
300k workout bonus
700k undisclosed escalators including team performance

2.7 mil base
2,812,500 PRSB
1.0 mil undisclosed escalators, yada yada yada

3.885 base
2,812,500 PRSB
1.25 yada, yada yada

/ 4

=

7,911,250.00 per year

Hey British...you saved us a million bucks a year... I'm taking you grocery shopping with me in order to catch 'em with a bad scan, lol

Seriously, though-- It is probably close to the 9 mil. Why do I say this? Because every one of these contracts get published a few days after being signed, details are released, and then come next Feb whatever a story gets out that so and so is getting a bonus that you never heard about initially. I have seen this over and over. Remember, the same NFL source that gave him the breakdown also threw out the 9 mil figure. Just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet that it pans out that way.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'd love to know how attainable these escalators are, or they're something like linemen sometimes get: "run 6 punts back for TDs in the season."
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago
dsosterf, thanks for the number crunch, that's exactly what I've been after.

Stuff like that is why I love this message board.

Nonstopdrivel, I might be wrong but I think the escalators are pretty easy in Jennings contract.
Roster bonuses, work out bonuses and games played. The only tricky one is the Packers to make the playoffs.
(So basically if he turns up and is a starter then he'll get most of them).
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago

Silverstein gets this stuff right, 99 44/100% of the time.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I'm glad to see the local reporters getting some praise (as a journo myself I try and defend them when I can).

But it does seem that Silverstein is not being very clear when he talks about the deal being a three year deal averaging $9m a year. As we've established, the extension works out like that but over the four years the annual average is much less.

Rob Demovsky of the Press Gazette seems to sum it up more usefully when he says:

"Though some reports are calling it a deal that averages nearly $9 million per season, the $26.35 million in new money divided over the entire four years of the contract is actually an average of $6.6 million per year. That doesnt factor in the incentives that Jennings could earn, some of which are tied to him being on the game-day active roster. There are also workout bonuses of $300,000 in each of the next three offseasons."
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090626/PKR01/90626147/1058 

As you've explained dfosterf, once the incentives are included the average is $7.9m.

The fact there may, or may not, be an unknown extra bonus we dont know about which may bump it up to closer to $9m shouldnt mean we let Silverstein off the hook.

Simply saying the deal is three years at $9m a year is not good journalism because its ultimately misguiding.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago

Nonstopdrivel, I might be wrong but I think the escalators are pretty easy in Jennings contract.
Roster bonuses, work out bonuses and games played. The only tricky one is the Packers to make the playoffs.
(So basically if he turns up and is a starter then he'll get most of them).

"British" wrote:

I can't imagine that to be true. Why would the Packers even put that in the contract, it would make them look silly in my eyes. Players have to earn it, even lord Gregarius. I would love to see the escalator specifics unless I missed them somewhere in the post. I think an escalator that would be nice is percentage of recs that result in a 1st down. I have seen it done for running back stats, but not wideouts.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Tezzy
14 years ago

A loophole around the NFL's 30 Percent Rule
I originally intended this blog to be only for the discussion of compensatory picks, but I'm making an exception for this post.

The 30 Percent Rule explained

30 Percent Rule article 

Now in no way am i able to verify that what this guy is blogging is indeed correct or not. But curious then why Ted hasn't used this approach with GJ and NC and still be able to work the market more.

*EDIT: And if you don't enjoy reading long articles, the last two paragraphs explain the story. Completion bonuses apparently slip outside the 30 percent rule of how fast a contract payout can grow year to year. So instead you can add completion bonuses to contracts, and allow a smaller cap hit the year of the signing while still giving out large enough bonus money to make a deal.

These completion bonus can be of skill or injury. So just playing 1 game could be used to give a large second year bonus. So if Ted did that then I would agree with British about super easy escalators.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
dfosterf
14 years ago

Silverstein gets this stuff right, 99 44/100% of the time.

"British" wrote:

I'm glad to see the local reporters getting some praise (as a journo myself I try and defend them when I can).

But it does seem that Silverstein is not being very clear when he talks about the deal being a three year deal averaging $9m a year. As we've established, the extension works out like that but over the four years the annual average is much less.

Rob Demovsky of the Press Gazette seems to sum it up more usefully when he says:

"Though some reports are calling it a deal that averages nearly $9 million per season, the $26.35 million in new money divided over the entire four years of the contract is actually an average of $6.6 million per year. That doesnt factor in the incentives that Jennings could earn, some of which are tied to him being on the game-day active roster. There are also workout bonuses of $300,000 in each of the next three offseasons."
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090626/PKR01/90626147/1058 

As you've explained dfosterf, once the incentives are included the average is $7.9m.

The fact there may, or may not, be an unknown extra bonus we dont know about which may bump it up to closer to $9m shouldnt mean we let Silverstein off the hook.

Simply saying the deal is three years at $9m a year is not good journalism because its ultimately misguiding.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I take all of it with a huge grain of salt. (An "americanism"...call me skeptical, lol) There are some items that I am extrapolating and/or assuming to be true, even in this "number crunch", due to ambiguities created by some poor (imo) writing by Silverstein.

His sins are minor. The national media had the Pack at 22 million in cap room for this season most of this off-season. I knew that to be false, said so, and I'm pretty confident in repeating that asseertion. (Remember guys/gals?) The guy I have been following seems "retired" from the amateur "cap game", but I aspire to his accuracy.

As I reported at the end of last year, the guy got within a few hundred dollars of the Packer's actual cap expenditures for 2008. NO ONE else did, and the most incredible part of that is that he published his cap analysis in August, made some extremely prophetic assumptions about Driver, made one adjustment with KGB and NAILED IT ALL...Awesome display of research skills, especially in light of the 50 some guys he had tracked all the way through the "dead money pool".

My point being that this is a constantly moving target. Other reporters are going to hear things and publish them. Sometimes the SAME reporter will hear different information, change his (her?) information and/or assumptions, and in most cases, doesn't even realize that they have changed the information...Sounds bizarre, but if you actually try to track this, you would fully appreciate that statement.

I will be watching all of the various writers and their "version" of this contract. My "job" is one hell of a lot easier these days, btw, thanks to "Tightwad Ted" unf$cking our complete clusterf#ck of a dead money situation...not an excuse (as some have repeatedly characterized it) but a CLOSE observation of what was occurring with the GBP from the business side of things.

The short version of what I am saying here in this post...Those numbers look decent, but IT IS EARLY.

:thumbleft:

Edit---

To Tezzy-

I think the 30 percent rule is going to make things most complicated for GMs when they go to sign those 1st round draft picks. Because the 3 "s's are signed, they will be the model for other teams to look at. I don't know if you follow National Football Post, but Brandt has a (seemingly) unrelated article up (yesterday) about rookie contracts, stating they typically run about 60 pages in esoteric bullshit in order to at once comply with the rookie cap pool and get the rook paid. It seems to me that the 30 percent rule (barring loopholes) would make that difficult.

Andrew Brandt; The difference in rookie contracts 

Yes, that's me in the comments section, I'm a bigmouth there also :thumbleft:

Shut up Nick.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

There is much debate about the players at the top, but the vast majority of rookies represent fixed and reasonable costs for their teams.

"Andrew Brandt" wrote:

This is absolutely true, and a fact frequently overlooked by fans and the media. The problem is the dichotomy this creates: Most rookies are slotted for reasonable salaries and thus are signed with little or no fanfare. But the few at the top -- particularly the top five, but to a lesser extent the entire top ten -- are paid such inordinately disproportionate salaries that they represent a burden to the team rather than a boon. That's the reason for the collective groan fans let out when their team land a top pick, as opposed to the buzz of excitement surrounding the lottery in the NBA.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Wow, great news! I just got back from the beach and this is what I see. WOW! I couldn't be more happy.
UserPostedImage