DanJustDan29
14 years ago
Donald Lee was only targeted 50 times last year and he caught 39 of them. That's 78% of targets that he caught. He was the 6th highest player in the NFL and the #1 TE. He isn't a flashy player but he has great hands and is very reliable and consistent. I would not be upset at all if he remained the starter for the entire season.
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
earthquake
14 years ago
Lee is a quality all around TE. Finley is more of a flashy, receiving TE. I think its great to have both and i imagine both will be used in a lot of different situations. I think finley is the eventual starter, but not until he proves that he is a complete TE(IE: blocking).
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
If Lee somehow loses the #1 spot, he's gone. Half the teams in the NFL would be more than happy to have Lee as their starting TE.

Dan - good stats. Didn't know that. I did know that he's got good hands and is tough as nails.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
From SI.com's Ross Tucker:

Self-fulfilling prophecies make NFL camp 'competitions' a total joke

The NFL is supposed to be among the most objective places of employment around. If you can play, you can stay, as the saying goes. Or in regard to coaches, win and you can stay in. The best players should start, make the team, etc. Likewise, the best coaches should get the head jobs, coordinator roles, etc. Yet in an ultra-competitive industry, that isn't always the case. There are still a number of personnel decisions that are pre-ordained. Call it the theory of the self-fulfilling prophecy.

The latest example comes out of Denver, where Kyle Orton "won" the battle for the starting quarterback position with Chris Simms. Now there's a shocker. After the whole drawn out Jay Cutler fiasco, was there ever any doubt who Josh McDaniels was going to tab as his starting quarterback? The only way Orton was going to lose the job to Simms was if Orton played horrendous and Simms played amazing, which was not the case.

That the Broncos announced their decision in June, without the players ever putting on shoulder pads, indicates this was more of a reaffirmation of what they already thought, not a genuine, no-holds barred competition. Making a decision about any position based upon OTAs, where there are no "live" bullets and no real threat of a pass rush, is questionable at best. So much for the pace of those practices being at a tempo conducive to learning and not evaluation, per the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I am not saying Simms deserved the job. Orton is a proven winner when given an opportunity as opposed to Simms, who hasn't played in forever. Unfortunately for Simms, he was behind the eight-ball as soon as McDaniels hand-picked Orton in the Cutler trade.

Not every self-fulfilling prophecy necessarily results from a coach picking one player to play over another. Another high-profile example comes from Packers GM Ted Thompson and his decision in early November to give Aaron Rodgers a contract extension that will keep him in Green Bay until 2014 and pay him $66 million in the process. In the case of the Rodgers deal, much like the Orton situation, the ultimate decision to sign him to a long-term deal was probably the right one. Rodgers had proven he was a competent starting quarterback over the first half of the season and eventually finished with 28 touchdowns and only 13 interceptions while throwing for over 4,000 yards.

But similarly to the predetermined Orton decision in Denver, you have to imagine Thompson was hoping he would be able to sign Rodgers to a deal that validates him as the franchise quarterback for the Packers. After the messy Brett Favre divorce, Thompson would have been toast in the minds of the Lambeau faithful if Rodgers had faltered. So Rodgers contract not only establishes him as the quarterback of the future in Green Bay, it also becomes the backbone for Thompson's reasoning for moving forward without Favre in the first place. In effect, the Rodgers deal validates him and the entire Packers front office.

Critics will point out the team was only 6-10 last season and Rodgers showed a chronic inability to find a way to lead his team to a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter. Lucky for him, it doesn't matter. Thompson was itching to place the stamp of approval on his Favre decision as soon as possible. So as soon as a new contract for Rodgers was reasonable, he pulled the trigger.

Self-fulfilling prophecies like these happen all the time and it is no secret why. Owners, GMs and coaches have a vested interest in having their decisions pay off -- or at least appear to pay off. It makes them look good. It is one of the reasons I think more and more teams are drafting offensive linemen high in the draft over the last couple of seasons.

Teams and prognosticators will use the term "safe," but I prefer the word "hide." That's because one of the reasons an offensive lineman is a safe pick is because teams can scheme block to protect him, and can give him help from backs, tight ends and other linemen. Then, at the end of the year, teams can point out the fact their high pick started all 16 games and only gave up a couple of sacks, even though the truth may be that he was given so much assistance that he was rarely placed in a position to fail.

The next example of a pre-ordained competition is taking place in New York right now with the "battle" between Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez. Please. As if the $28 million guaranteed Sanchez is getting in his rookie contract wasn't enough of a reason to assume Sanchez would ultimately "win" the job, the recent comments from owner Woody Johnson comparing Sanchez's similarities to the great generals of all time pretty much cemented it. Sorry Kellen, but you have no shot.

That is a real shame in my mind because Clemens was once a hot prospect out of the Pac-10 and never really has had an opportunity to show what he can do outside of starting some games for a horrible Jets team in 2007. It is hard for me to imagine that a young quarterback with only 16 college starts can beat out a guy going into his fourth season working with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Alas, it doesn't really matter. As soon as their production appears to be even close to comparable in the eyes of the Jets front office, Sanchez will be taking the snaps. It has already been predetermined.

UserPostedImage
CaliforniaCheez
14 years ago
The situation between Flynn and Brohm. Competence is the choice over draft position.

Rodgers put up good numbers in a good offense when Grant got himself hurt after his hold out. Rodgers deserved a bump in pay and the Packers wanted to secure a good QB for years into the future. He is an improving QB who did not make that many mistakes last season.

He is not a good example for the author's point.

Sticking for years with an unproductive Jamal Reynolds just because he was a high draft pick is a much better example.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Rodgers didn't make many mistakes because his HC didn't give him the chance to and he didn't take the chance to make mistakes. I'm not saying that's bad, just saying.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
14 years ago

Rodgers didn't make many mistakes because his HC didn't give him the chance to and he didn't take the chance to make mistakes. I'm not saying that's bad, just saying.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I dont really agree with this. Sure one could make an argument that Rodgers wasn't given as much control as say Favre was for instance, but the fact that he had so many passes over 20 yards, and that he threw for over 4,000 yards... You can't get those sorts of numbers in a situation where he is simple set up not to make mistakes. He was given PLENTY of oppurtunties to make mistakes, and made some pretty costly ones a few times with late game INTS.

I think at a certain point you need to recognize that Rodgers simply makes some pretty good choices with how he plays the game, when to throw the ball away, etc. I think he is a very cerebral QB in that sense.

I do however agree that far too often Mike McCarthy chose to take "safe" plays like running it in 3 times in a row on the goal line, that infuriated me to no end. But i dont think that is in itself proof that Rodgers wasn't given any opportunity to fail.

I think if you take a look at his highlights from 08, you'll see many amazingly well thrown balls lasered into double covered, and equally as many amazingly good adjustments on pretty poorly throw balls, courtesy of his WR's. With such a slim margain of error, many of those plays could have resulted in INTs instead of TDs. But he was either lucky, or good, or both in a lot of those cases. I dont think he makes or even attempts a lot of those plays in a system where he is simply set up not to fail.
blank
dhazer
14 years ago
Packers | Wells' roster spot could be in jeopardy
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:30:57 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers C Scott Wells' roster spot could be in jeopardy. Wells will need to compete for the starting center job, but he will have a difficult time after missing all offseason recovering from major shoulder surgery. OL Duke Preston and OL Tony Moll are both capable of backing up multiple positions along the offensive line, which could leave Wells out of a spot on the team.

Packers | R. Martin remains front-runner for No. 5 WR job
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:50:19 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers WR Ruvell Martin remains the front-runner for the No. 5 wide receiver job.

Packers | Kapinos appears to have edge for starting job
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:51:13 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers P Jeremy Kapinos appears to have the edge for the starting punting job over P Durant Brooks.

Packers | Three competing for No. 3 tight end position
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:50:59 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers TE Tory Humphrey, TE Evan Moore and TE Carson Butler could compete for the No. 3 tight end position. The team could also decide to pick up a player at the end of training camp.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Whoa, we're keeping 3 TEs? Does that mean we're going more shallow on the offensive line this year? And how many FBs are we keeping?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Whoa, we're keeping 3 TEs? Does that mean we're going more shallow on the offensive line this year? And how many FBs are we keeping?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Yes.
No.

Next?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (13h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (17h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.