dfosterf
14 years ago

It would be a strategy of limited effectiveness. People forget that not only is there a salary cap, there is also a salary floor. I think it's around 87% of the salary cap (I'm sure Sir Foster knows the exact figure). Plus I believe teams are limited to how much money they can actually stockpile, at least from this source. To some degree the salary cap is "use it or lose it."

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

lol

Edit---

And for 09--- there is no rollover with fake LTBE's, etc... because there is NO CAP for '10---

hence, use it or lose it in '09
Graffin
14 years ago
Wasn't aware of the article, but after reading it, and more importantly Nonstop's response, feel a bit more educated. thanks
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
I find it rather humorous that everyone assumes that the reason that the owners do not want to disclose financials is due to the negotiations between the owners and the players.

They have bigger fish to fry. The adversarial relationship between the owners and players is only two legs of the triad. The real fight is between large market and small market franchises.

The loss of automotive advertising revenue for the various networks, coupled with a significant drop in beer advertising revenue due to imbev purchasing budweiser has some of the NFL owners fearful about the future revenue stream that the TV coverage provides. They are crying wolf to any that will listen, and the large market teams would like nothing better than to eliminate and/or significantly reduce the shared revenue aspects of the business model. Their arguments are going to look far less persuasive to their fellow owners when those revenue disclosures are made.

They probably don't give a rat's ass if the NFLPA was made privy to the information, just as long as the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns etc. of the NFL world cannot see it...Of course, that is impossible.

I suspect the Green Bay Packers would like nothing better than to have that information public, a very under-appreciated aspect...especially to some former football player turned writer that can see no further than the perceived advantage to his former fellow players.
Gravedigga
14 years ago
I don't give a rats ass what their books say, not one of these owners are losing money consistently. Also, if the Cowboys are "reporting" a 10 million dollar revenues, you an bet it is much higher. That is what accountants are for. To manipulate the books to say what you want them to say. Don't be a sucker and buy into it. There is a reason it costs a billion dollars to buy one of these franchises.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
dfosterf
14 years ago
You might be interested to know that the Green Bay Packers have been "blamed" for more than making a profit.

One famous example is that Vince Lombardi cut a player for having the audacity to secure the services of an agent.

I have another one. The Green Bay Packers are cited by the NFLPA itself as being responsible, at least in part, for the creation of the union.

The issue?

Dirty jocks, socks and uniforms.

No bullshit.

NFLPA Website story 

The National Football League was organized in 1920, but the players had no representation until more than 35 years later. Free to do as they wished, the owners gave the players no benefits at all -- no health insurance, no life insurance, no pension, no minimum salary, no pay for pre-season games. Even worse--no protection for injured players.

The players started standing up for themselves in 1956. By one account, players for the Green Bay Packers asked the owners for clean jocks, socks and uniforms for two-a-day
workouts. The owners refused; the players organized

I think some of the players still have a grudge.

j/k
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Foster hit the nail on the head, though he may have actually understated the issue at hand. There are at least two other legs to the stool he failed to mention: the dispute between current players and former players, and the dispute between owners and former players. And all of this is tied into the forthcoming CBA.

Next time I'm on campus, I'll take more notes on the study conducted by my university and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

As to all the kudos from RaiderPride and others, I want to say that I am humbled and appreciative, but I must reiterate that I am but a lowly Padawan at the feet of the Master Foster. 😉
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

Foster hit the nail on the head, though he may have actually understated the issue at hand. There are at least two other legs to the stool he failed to mention: the dispute between current players and former players, and the dispute between owners and former players. And all of this is tied into the forthcoming CBA.

Next time I'm on campus, I'll take more notes on the study conducted by my university and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

As to all the kudos from RaiderPride and others, I want to say that I am humbled and appreciative, but I must reiterate that I am but a lowly Padawan at the feet of the Master Foster. ;)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Very kind words, Non...

I just rehash other folks stuff. You bring the great gift of insight and fresh perspective.

R.P. had it right the first time. He would...He's a very smart fella, also.
Gravedigga
14 years ago

You might be interested to know that the Green Bay Packers have been "blamed" for more than making a profit.

One famous example is that Vince Lombardi cut a player for having the audacity to secure the services of an agent.

I have another one. The Green Bay Packers are cited by the NFLPA itself as being responsible, at least in part, for the creation of the union.

The issue?

Dirty jocks, socks and uniforms.

No bullshit.

NFLPA Website story 

The National Football League was organized in 1920, but the players had no representation until more than 35 years later. Free to do as they wished, the owners gave the players no benefits at all -- no health insurance, no life insurance, no pension, no minimum salary, no pay for pre-season games. Even worse--no protection for injured players.

The players started standing up for themselves in 1956. By one account, players for the Green Bay Packers asked the owners for clean jocks, socks and uniforms for two-a-day
workouts. The owners refused; the players organized

"dfosterf" wrote:

I think some of the players still have a grudge.

j/k

wow, i didnt know Ted Thompson managed the packers back then
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
14 years ago
May I remind some of you that the Packers have been one of the better revenue teams since the remodel at Lambeau.

This SI guy calls the Packers small market but they have been in the upper half of teams in revenue.

As for Ted being a cheapskate
1) There were few quality free agents worth the money.
2) He has had to save money for the the 2006 draft class, Jennings, Spitz, Colledge, Hall, Jolly, etc.
3) Ted has always looked long term and has created a lot of competition for roster spots.

Another thing is return on investment. 20 million is not that much considering it is a billion dollar corporation. Investing 1 billion and making 20 million is only 2% on investment!!

If you invested a $1000 and only made $20 a year would you be happy?

The whole Packers organization's operating profit is only double Rodgers salary. After investment losses they only made 4 million or about what Brady Poppinga was paid last year.

Put it into perspective and it helps the owners points.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I made this exact point in another thread, CaliforniaCheez. Thanks for providing your insight on this issue. I wish people would get beyond the raw numbers ($4 million) and look at the meaning beyond those numbers (paltry profit). Your relating this profit figure to player salaries was awesomely illuminating. Keep it up!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.