Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson is going to need more than a simple calculator and a depth chart to make some extremely important determinations over the next year.

For the Packers, decision time is looming.

According to Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com, seven Green Bay starters contracts are up after this season.

That includes Pro Bowl safety Nick Collins, who has been lobbying for a contract extension, as well as safety Atari Bigby, nose guard Ryan Pickett, linebacker Aaron Kampman, defensive lineman Johnny Jolly and offensive linemen Darryl Colledge, Chad Clifton and Jason Spitz. Plus, eight more players deals are expiring.

There is always an evolution of a team, Thompson told ESPN.com. At different points in peoples careers, certain things happen. And were trying to take care of our business the best we can.

Each year your team matures, and we have a larger number of young guys that are getting ready for the next phase of their careers, and thats something thats our job to deal with.

Thompson has already launched the process of retaining key young players for the future by recently extending wide receiver Greg Jennings for three more years with a $27 million package in addition to securing quarterback Aaron Rodgers and running back Ryan Grants services last year.

Collins situation is potentially the most combustible as he hasnt guaranteed that he will report to training camp if he doesnt get what he wants.

Of course, one player getting a fancy new deal is never ignored in the locker room.

Its never a case of really putting priority on one player or another, Thompson said. We dont want players thinking that theyre competing against [each other] or anything like that. The organization does have to make decisions as we move along.

Indeed, there will be some very tough decisions for Thompson and the rest of the Packers front office to ponder.

At least the Packers recently reported a profit of $20.1 million last year to go toward some of these future deals.

I think that's kind of a crock of crap. You're telling me that Jennings contract wasn't a higher priority than most of the others that are needing a contract yet.
UserPostedImage
millertime
14 years ago
Darryl Colledge, lol
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I can't see us keeping Jolly if his legal situation deteriorates further.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
translation:

"We're going to sign and keep Aaron Kampman and whoever else makes a difference on the team and stays healthy this season."

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

14 years ago
Some people don't like low key. But Ted doesn't make any empty promises and he doesn't brag or have excessive bravado.

Is it really that big of a problem when you hit real well on a draft class like 2006?

With the old saying better to let them go a year early than a year too late, I would not be suprised if Clifton is cut this year. Even if he isn't you know he will not be back in 2010. There is plenty of competition on the O-line.

Younger players are cheaper. They tend to get injured less. They play hard to get the big contract even if they don't get the contract.

51 draft picks in 5 years means the mistake don't hurt so much.

Mr. Thompson is a fine GM.
blank
RainX
14 years ago
We probably aren't going to be able to keep everyone assuming a new CBA is negotiated before the start of the 2010 offseason. If push comes to shove, we can always franchise someone like Kampman if he proves to be effective in his new position.

Part of me doesn't want a new CBA to be reached before the end of this upcoming season, because it will allow us to retain the rights to a lot of our expiring rookie contract players since you'll need six years instead of four to become an UFA.
blank
thetombradyhater
14 years ago

Darryl Colledge, lol

"millertime" wrote:

Lol what? We need him re-signed he's one of our best linemen
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Darryl Colledge, lol

"thetombradyhater" wrote:

"millertime" wrote:

We need to resign Daryn Colledge, not Darryl. I think that he was referring to that.
warhawk
14 years ago
I think we can extend Collins and Kampman and a couple others this year and hold onto the other top priority players next season but this is why I was saying during the FA period that we needed to be careful with the money here.
I read an article that talked about Poppinga and at $1.9mil he may become a casualty because he probably won't crack the starting lineup.

If Meredith uses this year to get ready and can take over for Clifton that would make some room and with Preston being capable at G or C I think Wells' days are numbered. No way we will end up holding onto three RT's either.

Ted will get it done but there will definately be some shuffling around. I don't see Spitz, Colledge, or, Jolly going anywhere.
"The train is leaving the station."
thetombradyhater
14 years ago

Darryl Colledge, lol

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"thetombradyhater" wrote:

We need to resign Daryn Colledge, not Darryl. I think that he was referring to that.

"millertime" wrote:

My bad I read it too quickly
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.