dfosterf
14 years ago
Link 

Perhaps this article should go in the NFL section, but it is so intertwined with the Pack I decided to put it here.

Spending & winning are not the same
Heres proof that you cant always buy a title. Andrew Brandt
July 03, 2009

In the vast majority of cases, the answer to the question anyone is asking is, Follow the money. The bottom line is almost always the bottom line. My favorite line from press conferences where athletes sign big contracts is, It isnt about the money. Translation: Its all about the money.

However, there appears to be one metric in sports, especially in the NFL, where the answer may not be to follow the money. That statistic and its the most important one in sports is winning. Money can buy a lot of things, but it will not necessarily buy a championship or even a winning record in professional sports.

My colleague Michael Lombardi aptly described the importance of prudent and targeted spending Thursday in his column about the Buccaneers.

According to a report from Jason La Canfora of NFL Network showing all the cash commitments in the NFL from 2004-2008, the range of spending goes from the Cowboys at $567 million to the Bucs at $449 million, a range of $118M, or approximately $30M per season in disparity between the highest- and lowest-spending clubs.

Although I have numbers that are slightly different, the point is the same: Spending big and winning big do not correlate. Indeed, having managed player costs at the Packers during that time frame, we were third lowest in the league at $457M about $114M average per season -- and were an overtime away from the Super Bowl in a year (2007) in which we were the second lowest-spending team in the league.

Cash not cap -- numbers are the key numbers to focus on with teams and spending. Cap spending is something that teams manage in different ways; it does not reflect how much money teams are actually paying players. One of the biggest misperceptions that fans have about teams willingness to spend is that if they have a lot of cap room, they are not spending. That can be very far from the truth. A well-managed cap with plenty of room can coincide with having spent liberally to improve. I know that firsthand.

The lack of correlation between winning and spending is not a novel concept and one that has been proven for years. The proper way to build success in the NFL is to assemble and develop young talent that proves worthy of core contract extensions, ensuring continuity of key players at key positions on the roster. Selective and targeted acquisition of free agents is necessary to complement the existing talent base. However, continued spending on free agents, driving up player costs and pushing out players who have been coached and developed, is not a sound way to put together a team.

A large amount of spending league-wide is done in early March during the opening days of free agency. Thats when teams make a splash, when owners acquiesce or even encourage finding that missing link that will put the team over the top. Its a time when contract research is thrown away, as bidding by multiple suitors creates unprecedented levels of pay for top-echelon position players. This year alone, Albert Haynesworth, Bart Scott and Jason Brown set new benchmarks for their respective positions at defensive tackle, linebacker and center.

Free agency can work if theres a plan and a clear vision for the player.

The problem with free agency in football compared to baseball (where players hit, pitch and catch) and basketball (where players athleticism creates competitive advantages) is that football requires schemes and interdependency among 11 players on every play. Its not that easy to put a new piece into the mix as it is with other sports. Thats one reason why results from free agency are sketchy. Usually, teams that make noise in March do not make noise in January.

Free agency is also the price paid for not drafting well. In Green Bay, I remember having to chase and sign Hardy Nickerson because our draft choice slated for middle linebacker, Torrance Marshall, was not working out. I chased and signed Charles Woodson because our two high picks from two previous years, Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas, did not pan out.

Look at any big free-agent signing and chances are hes replacing someone the team had high hopes for at some point in the recent past.

As mentioned above, the four-year spread between the highest-spending team, the Cowboys, and the lowest-spending team, the Bucs, is less than $30M a year. In contrast, the New York Yankees are spending more than $200M on their 25 players this season, while the Florida Marlins playing in the same professional sports league are spending $36M. Thats a spread of $164M between the highest- and lowest-spending teams in baseball! And, as we all know, money hasnt bought much for the free-spending Yankees in recent years (although that fact doesnt seem to stop them).

The baseball situation above is what can happen without a salary cap. While there are year-to-year differences in spending between NFL teams, there is a self-regulating effect of the NFL salary cap that will not allow teams to have top-of-league spending every year (the Redskins have been big spenders in 2005, 2007 and 2009 but have had normal spending in the other years).

Bud Selig a member of the board of directors of the Packers -- would shake his head when he listened to my cap and cash presentations, knowing that there was no regulatory mechanism like a cap in baseball. Baseball teams have their own caps budgets but the inequality in spending was and is a problem in baseball. Selig loved the fact that the Tampa Bay Rays were in the World Series last year with a $44M payroll, proving the theme again that sound management rather than money buys championships.

The disparity in spending in baseball can be a cautionary tale for owners and players in football. Without a cap, there is neither a ceiling nor a floor on spending. There could be teams playing the role of the Yankees and Red Sox and teams playing the role of the Marlins and Rays. Time will tell, and that time may be coming.

Cash is king, and the cash numbers are out. What they show are two things: One, for the overriding goal of winning, sometimes you cant just follow the money. And two, the disparity in spending is a fraction of that of baseball, a potentially ominous statistic as we stare down the barrel of a year without a salary cap in 2010.

Enjoy the holiday. Happy birthday, America!

blueleopard
14 years ago
I remember all the flack we got when signing Woodson. I knew he would pan out. At that point in time, any veteran was better than keeping Ahmad Carroll around.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I was mad that we signed Woodson instead of Lavar Arrington. :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
14 years ago

I was mad that we signed Woodson instead of Lavar Arrington. :thumbleft:

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Ouch 😉
blank
dhazer
14 years ago

Although I have numbers that are slightly different, the point is the same: Spending big and winning big do not correlate. Indeed, having managed player costs at the Packers during that time frame, we were third lowest in the league at $457M about $114M average per season -- and were an overtime away from the Super Bowl in a year (2007) in which we were the second lowest-spending team in the league.

That part bothers me he is bragging about being an ot away from the Super Bowl but yet doesn't bother to mention we ended up with 2 top 10 draft picks and made the playoff one year. I think your good teams are usually right in the middle, but then again i saw the other day that the cowboys had the longest streak of being in the playoffs. Also to talk about the draft we are coming up to what i predicted and that was we would be losing players because we have so many players contracts expiring at the same time.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I do not blame Tampa Bay this off season as there was not much on the free agent market. The only thing the Bucaneers should have done was bring back Garcia.
blank
beast
14 years ago

i saw the other day that the cowboys had the longest streak of being in the playoffs.

"dhazer" wrote:

I'm not sure it's true but the other day I saw something about the Playoffs too. It said,

There are two teams that haven't won a playoff game since 2000.

The Lions and..... the Cowboys.

Not sure if true but anyways it's not about being in the playoffs... but winning in them.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
The Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 12 years.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
Dhazer gets his streaks confused.

I suggest bleach and use the hot water setting.
IronMan
14 years ago

but then again i saw the other day that the cowboys had the longest streak of being in the playoffs.

"dhazer" wrote:

The Cowboys have made the playoffs 3 times in the last 9 years.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (18m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.