PackerTraxx
14 years ago
If he gets a penalty, which he most likely will, hopefully it straightens him out. I believe he should get a second chance.

I'm glad I never did anything stupid when I was 20,24 years old. LOL
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Packers Jolly says hes a more disciplined player

By Bob McGinn | Milwaukee Journal Sentinel | Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 12:05 am

GREEN BAY, Wis. - At midday Friday, the words and body language of Green Bay Packers defensive end Johnny Jolly demonstrated complete confidence that he was clear of the felony drug possession charge dismissed by prosecutors in Houston two months ago.

"Oh yeah, I'm good," Jolly said, adding that his attorneys felt the same way.

About an hour later, a spokeswoman for the Harris County district attorney's office indicated that the charge against Jolly probably would be refiled.

"The codeine will be retested by the middle of October," the spokeswoman, Donna Hawkins, said in an e-mail. "We should be filing the charge sometime after that."

The dismissal, according to Hawkins, was due to a new piece of equipment acquired by the Houston Police Department measuring the amount of codeine in a liquid.

Police technicians will be able to testify about its use and results after sufficient training.

Jolly, off to the best start of his four-year career in Green Bay, probably wouldn't be affected by the charge or possible NFL suspension in 2009 given the backlog in the court system. He could run afoul of either in 2010, but with a contract expiring after the season the Packers' exposure is reduced.

Arrested in July 2008 in his hometown of Houston, Jolly was charged with possession of between 200 and 400 grams of codeine. The charge is punishable by two to 20 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine. Because it would be Jolly's first offense if convicted, he would be eligible for parole.

Jolly joined fellow end Cullen Jenkins as the defensive coaching staff's players of the game against Chicago. He played a career-high 60 snaps, registering seven tackles and an astonishingly athletic interception.

"If plays the way he did Sunday night, he's a legitimate NFL starter," coordinator Dom Capers said.

Jolly, a sixth-round draft choice from Texas A&M, couldn't say if it was the best game that he has played in Green Bay.

"I always hustle and play hard like that," he said. "I'm motivated every year."

The effect on Jolly of the dismissal a few weeks before the Packers opened training camp is impossible to tell. What became obvious early on was that Jolly fit the 3-4 defense and wouldn't be worried by competition.

Despite an ankle injury that sidelined him for two weeks of camp, Jolly kept in shape and maintained a positive approach.

A week into camp, Jolly was in a pitched battle for the job at left end with B.J. Raji, who had yet to sign, and Justin Harrell. But with Raji dogged by injury and Harrell ending up on injured reserve, Jolly's performance has earned him starting status as left end in base and left tackle in sub-packages.

"The thing that impressed me most about Johnny was he wasn't backing down or conceding anything to anybody," said Mike Trgovac, the first-year defensive line coach. "He was going to fight for what he thinks is his. That's the way he lives his life."

Despite the threat of incarceration and suspension, Jolly kept his mind right throughout a productive off-season.

"I couldn't let outside things bring me down," said Jolly. "When you've got coaches like we do, they never showed signs of getting down on me. They always kept me going, making me do this, do that. They made me feel at home.

"So I never really had a chance to get depressed about what was going on. It just made me work harder. They treated me good."

Jolly also credited Doug Collins and Jerry Parins, the team's top security officers, for "staying with me day by day. If I needed help, they treated me like the team."

In turn, Jolly did his part by becoming a more disciplined player. Whereas in the past he would compromise the defense at times by straying from his lane against the run or spinning out of his lane as a pass rusher, Jolly became more reliable.

"Those are things we talk about, that we're not going to accept from him, and he knows this," Trgovac said. "We're going to hold him accountable."

Jolly pursued far outside to make a pair of tackles on wide-receiver screens Sunday night. He was flapping his arms, inspiring the crowd and exhorting his teammates, leadership qualities that end Michael Montgomery saw Jolly exhibit at Texas A&M as his teammate in 2003-'04.

"Coach 'Trgo' wants us to be one of the most physical, violent D-lines in the league," said Jolly. "That's what we're priding ourselves on."

At 6-foot-3 and 324 pounds, Jolly can be as intimidating a presence as there is in the Green Bay locker room. Asked if he could be a jerk, Jolly replied, "Only on the field."

What intrigued the new staff about Jolly was his athleticism. He prides himself on his basketball ability, recalled averaging "20 and eight" as a senior at Forest Brook High in Houston when he played "everything, 1 to 5."

Huh? Johnny Jolly at point guard?

"Jolly, he's got some nice moves," said Montgomery, an even more accomplished prep basketball player in Texas. "Likes to dribble . . . got some good dribbling skills . . . he can pass the ball. He likes to stand out there by that three-point line. Nice little jumper."

For now, Jolly is all about football. One of 16 Packers with contracts due to expire, he also is playing for his financial future.

"I would be lying if I said I was not concerned about it," said Jolly. "But that will work itself out if I keep playing as well as I can on Sundays."

UserPostedImage
Patlee22
14 years ago
Well, seems like he just had a "screw up" that he had to pay for. He played great last game and hopefully he doesn't get in too much trouble for this from the league since this is his 1st offense to the policy(at least I think so). I think that shoulder injury in '07 really affected his play last season cause I have no clue why his play dropped last season. This season it appears it will be a totally different story. He's playing the way he did right before he got his injury.
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I wonder if, because of the fact that this legal matter has dragged out for so long, and because it was his first offense, and because he has kept his nose clean since the event, if the commish may be exceedingly lenient with him...

I think it definitely depends on what happens in court. From what I continue to hear, the evidence against him is pretty circumstantial. Yes the drugs were in his car, but there really hasn't been anything indicating that they were his. That being said, I don't know why the hell he'd let anyone carry drugs into his car in the first place, if he in fact wasn't using them himself.
UserPostedImage
Patlee22
14 years ago

I wonder if, because of the fact that this legal matter has dragged out for so long, and because it was his first offense, and because he has kept his nose clean since the event, if the commish may be exceedingly lenient with him...
I think it definitely depends on what happens in court. From what I continue to hear, the evidence against him is pretty circumstantial. Yes the drugs were in his car, but there really hasn't been anything indicating that they were his. That being said, I don't know why the hell he'd let anyone carry drugs into his car in the first place, if he in fact wasn't using them himself.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I hope they're lenient with him. Since Harrell is gone we need big bodys, especially ones that can play well, like Jolly.
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I don't want them to be lenient just for the sake of leniency. I hope Jolly has and does continue to show that he deserves leniency. No more bonehead crap like this, Jolly. Please. And this is only if the charges are dropped or he is found not guilty.

If he gets convicted, he deserves to get suspended.
UserPostedImage
Patlee22
14 years ago

I don't want them to be lenient just for the sake of leniency. I hope Jolly has and does continue to show that he deserves leniency. No more bonehead crap like this, Jolly. Please. And this is only if the charges are dropped or he is found not guilty.

If he gets convicted, he deserves to get suspended.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

True that and I would agree with it even though it would suck for us.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Are you saying there's no evidence Jolly in fact purchased the drugs? If that's true, it puts a rather interesting spin on the affair, since how could he have known what was in a bottle of cough syrup?
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Are you saying there's no evidence Jolly in fact purchased the drugs? If that's true, it puts a rather interesting spin on the affair, since how could he have known what was in a bottle of cough syrup?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Especially if the bottle did indeed belong to a friend. All of those possibilities do indeed make this a very hard case to get evidence for. I doubt that it has as much to do with leniency as just the inability to reach a verdict on this one.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
When I'm talking about leniency, I'm talking about Roger Goodel, not the courts.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (8h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (11h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (15h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.