Greg C.
14 years ago

It's not such a bad idea based solely on Vick's abilities. I've always liked the idea of having a running QB as a backup, because it is tough for the defense when that guy comes into a game. A running QB can play sandlot football and often gut out a win when things aren't going well.

But considering how much baggage Vick would have, it would just be too weird to have him playing in Green Bay. I don't think there will be many teams that will take an interest in Vick if the commissioner lets him play. Also, Thompson wants backups who have a chance to be a QB of the future if something happens to Rodgers, and Vick is getting older now and is not a great fit for the West Coast offense.

"dhazer" wrote:

whats is this crap talk of quarterbacks of the future hell when did Rodgers get old lol. He is what 3 yrs older than our 2 backups. Vick would never come to Green Bay because Ted Thompson would never take a chance.

"Greg C." wrote:

I said "if something happens to Rodgers." Sometimes players get injured badly and can no longer be effective. It's not likely for a QB, but it's possible. It looks to me like Thompson wants to have a couple of young QB's in place in case that happens. That's mostly how the backup QB position was handled during the Ron Wolf years as well, so I don't know why you think this idea is laughable.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Here is what humors me in the end... the nonstop complaining about Ted an company.

Yes, I hold some opinions that aren't in line with our GM.. but when one does a total account of the team.. we have depth and talent in most areas.. not perfect but in far better shape than a lot of clubs.

And the kicker is we have so much flexibility to add players such as this risk.. and not be concerned about cap issues or what not.

When camp gets rolling and the assessments with pads on can start being made we are sitting in a pretty damn good position to pick through the available to shore up the gaps regardless if they are short term or long term fixes...

Week one is still a long ways away.. I will bet that if need be we make a move along the risk line to help shore up a position of concern.. yes that means if Flynn or Brohm look to be still struggling.. then an option like this might be considered with less baggage perhaps.

Our GM isn't flawless, a couple of warts have appeared.. but we are far from those that have not.

This is a PR and media circus risk at the start.. and there will be some that can't or won't forgive Vick for his mistakes.. but at the end of the day this could become a huge success story as well.. that is all on mister Vick's shoulders..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dhazer
14 years ago
Your right Non you got me Ted Thompson does sign people with troubled pasts, Woodson noone wanted him and Robinson noone wanted. Then to top it off he drafted a guy that has failed drug tests, so you are right he does take those huge steps. oops Almost forgot him signing Smith away from the Steelers where he was benched because of his character.

But then again he will not sign the big name player with character issuses AKA Randy Moss.

I do not even see a hint of Vick in Green Bay, I bet you could bring it up to Ted Thompson and he would just laugh at you.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Your right Non you got me Ted Thompson does sign people with troubled pasts, Woodson noone wanted him and Robinson noone wanted.

"dhazer" wrote:

But isn't it about the eventual result? Apparently, he saw something in Woodson. He might not go out and break the bank and we have all put down our concerns about not signing anyone for the O-line for instance, but why do you have to second guess him even when he actually makes a signing?

Then to top it off he drafted a guy that has failed drug tests, so you are right he does take those huge steps.

"dhazer" wrote:

I hope that you're not refering to Raji, because that claim has been shot down harder than Dick Cheney shot Harry Whittington. Multiple times.

oops Almost forgot him signing Smith away from the Steelers where he was benched because of his character.

"dhazer" wrote:

I recall you wanting to have Haynesworth here. He got sent off of the field because he stomped an O-lineman on the face. Smith has a big ego, but isn't a drug user or anything. From what I've heared, his big mouth combined with getting burned got him off the field. There's worse things than that. Not saying that I want a safety who can't help in pass coverage, but there's room for progression and he's better than Peprah and most likely Rouse.

But then again he will not sign the big name player with character issuses AKA Randy Moss.

"dhazer" wrote:

Got offer in, got upped by the Patriots, got traded there. You're not going to pay $20.000,- for a car you can get for $15.000, right?

I do not even see a hint of Vick in Green Bay, I bet you could bring it up to Ted Thompson and he would just laugh at you.

"dhazer" wrote:

And I agree with you on that one. The Raiders would be a perfect destination if you ask me. I don't know how creative Tom Cable is, but he could be the perfect wildcat. Maybe even just have a rotation of QBs? I mean, if you can rotate at nearly every other potition, why not change the line-up for QBs as well from time to time. If Jamarcus could get a little more accurate, it'd just be scary. The defense would have to back up and move in constantly.
dhazer
14 years ago

Your right Non you got me Ted Thompson does sign people with troubled pasts, Woodson noone wanted him and Robinson noone wanted.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

But isn't it about the eventual result? Apparently, he saw something in Woodson. He might not go out and break the bank and we have all put down our concerns about not signing anyone for the O-line for instance, but why do you have to second guess him even when he actually makes a signing?

Then to top it off he drafted a guy that has failed drug tests, so you are right he does take those huge steps.

"dhazer" wrote:

I hope that you're not refering to Raji, because that claim has been shot down harder than Dick Cheney shot Harry Whittington. Multiple times.

How was it shot down Raji him self said he made a mistake and smoked pot in college and failed a drug test ?

oops Almost forgot him signing Smith away from the Steelers where he was benched because of his character.

"dhazer" wrote:

I recall you wanting to have Haynesworth here. He got sent off of the field because he stomped an O-lineman on the face. Smith has a big ego, but isn't a drug user or anything. From what I've heared, his big mouth combined with getting burned got him off the field. There's worse things than that. Not saying that I want a safety who can't help in pass coverage, but there's room for progression and he's better than Peprah and most likely Rouse.

I never once said i wanted haynesworth in fact i was against it bigtime. He got over paid for a player that is injury prone.

"dhazer" wrote:

Got offer in, got upped by the Patriots, got traded there. You're not going to pay $20.000,- for a car you can get for $15.000, right?

you folks to seem to forget that after the 2008 season Moss was a free agent and ended up resigning with the Pats and the very next day Favre retired.

"dhazer" wrote:

And I agree with you on that one. The Raiders would be a perfect destination if you ask me. I don't know how creative Tom Cable is, but he could be the perfect wildcat. Maybe even just have a rotation of QBs? I mean, if you can rotate at nearly every other potition, why not change the line-up for QBs as well from time to time. If Jamarcus could get a little more accurate, it'd just be scary. The defense would have to back up and move in constantly.

"dhazer" wrote:

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Ah, yes, sorry. He might've failed one test during his college career. Thought you meant the combine one, which aparently was a lot of bogus, just like the steroid use.
dhpackr
14 years ago
I do not think Vick will play QB in the NFL again. I think you will see him at rb or wr. I would love to see Vick compete against Brandon Jackson as the #2 RB on the Packers.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Greg C.
14 years ago

I do not think Vick will play QB in the NFL again. I think you will see him at rb or wr. I would love to see Vick compete against Brandon Jackson as the #2 RB on the Packers.

"dhpackr" wrote:

RB's careers don't begin at age 30. That's more often when they end, or at least go into steep decline. I think this would also be late for Vick to learn the WR position, which I don't believe he's played in a long time, if ever. Wildcat QB would be well-suited for his skills, though.
blank
digsthepack
14 years ago
Dude served his LEGAL sentence....and now the Commish will issue his NFL sentence...and deservedly so. 4 games minimum!

And no, don't want his sorry ass touching hallowed Lambeau field, unless he is being pummeled by Green and Gold jerseys.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
dhazer
14 years ago

Dude served his LEGAL sentence....and now the Commish will issue his NFL sentence...and deservedly so. 4 games minimum!

And no, don't want his sorry ass touching hallowed Lambeau field, unless he is being pummeled by Green and Gold jerseys.

"digsthepack" wrote:

I don't think he should even get 4 games hell he has been suspended for 2 years and basically lost 50 million dollars. He paid his debt and should have a fair chance to make a living.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (3h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (3h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (6h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (7h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (9h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (10h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (16h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Random Babble / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.