Greg C.
14 years ago

No matter which site I am posting on, we have this thread every year in the days leading up to training camp. Then the first round pick signs within a couple days of the beginning of camp and everyone forgets about it. I'm not going to waste any energy worrying about this unless we get into a genuine holdout situation, which from what I've heard, does not appear to be likely this year.

"pack93z" wrote:

Agreed, this is one the my hopes for the CBA negotiations.. that this whole process is organized and these aren't issues going forward.

"Greg C." wrote:

I do agree with you that the process is kind of stupid. I think that is really the entire issue here, rather than how the Packers or any other team handles the current system. It's set up in such a way that it almost always comes right down to the wire. It leads to a lot of unnecessary hand-wringing all-around, and a bumpy start for the NFL careers of some players. It would be good if they could fix this, maybe at the same time they fix these ridiculous rookie salaries.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I gave up on this thread about a quarter way through page 2. It seems to be nothing more than pointless carping stemming from offseason boredom. We go through the exact same shit every single year; the only way to worry about it is to force yourself to worry about it, simply because there's nothing else on the table at the moment. If we have nothing better to discuss, maybe we need to take a hiatus from talking football for a while.

And yes, this is easy for me to say since I am on a forced hiatus of my own lately. 😉
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
There are some small advantages to paying attention to the process this time of year.

You can learn some of the machinations that occur, as folks that actually know what happens in these proceedings take the time and trouble to write about it, as this is the only time of the year that folks--as I said-- will pay attention (well, some of us, anyway) to the subject.

Here is one we all probably suspected, but I don't recall ever reading about it in this much detail before...

NFP- The Head Coach as agent 

The head coach as agent

If they have the power, can get a deal done. Jack Bechta

In 2003, I was talking to another well-known agent when he suddenly took a call from a first-year head coach. The conversation went something like this:

Head coach: Where is my first-round pick?

Agent: Your owners are dragging their feet. I dont think youll have him signed in time for camp. You may want to let them know how badly you need him or he may not be signed until late August.

The agent went on to play victim to the coach, who was motivated to make sure he had all his weapons for his inaugural season.

When the agent hung up the phone, he looked at me with a smile and said, The owners are scared to death of this guy and will give him anything he wants.

Basically, what the agent was doing was recruiting the coach to apply pressure to ownership to get the deal done. Believe it or not, this happens more frequently than most people realize.

The agent and coaching communities are growing closer all the time. Many player agents, large and small, are also representing a lot of head coaches throughout the NFL. Can you say conflict?

Maybe, maybe not. Its not uncommon to see the icons of the NFL throwing em back with top agents at the Combine or the Senior Bowl. As head coaches become more involved with front office decision-making, they can play important roles in getting deals done on time.

If the head coach absolutely needs his draft pick to contribute right away, he will want to be kept in the loop regarding negotiations.

Sometimes, he works through the media by saying, Player X is missing valuable time. Hes falling behind and will have a tough time winning a job.

This usually prompts a panicked call from the player or his family to the agent to please get the deal done. The agent then calms the player and/or the family and explains that the head coach doesnt always care about the business side of things and just wants his players in camp.

Twenty years ago, it wasnt uncommon for head coaches to call rookies directly and tell them they better tell their agent to get the freaking deal done.

I once had the Patriots Bill Parcells call me and my player, Todd Rucci, a second-round pick, and try to intimidate us to get a deal done.

I stood up to him, telling him never to call my client until the contract was done, and asked him to hear me out on the issues. Ten minutes later, Bill opened up to me and actually told me he that he had inherited the teams negotiator, didnt like him and that he would probably be gone by the end of the year.

After I hung up with Bill, an angry Patrick Forte, the Pats negotiator, called me and reluctantly gave me what I needed to get my client into camp. Like Bill said, he was eventually let go.

An NFL head coach can sometimes be the best agent for a player. If he surreptitiously leans on the GM and owner to get his player into camp on time, the front office and ownership will do whatever it takes to get the player signed.

On the contrary, if the head coach doesnt need the player to contribute right away, the front office may take advantage of this and try to save ownership some money. The result: leverage for the team and an extended negotiation late into camp. A three-week impasse may save the owner $3 million.

With the competition among mega-agencies for first-round picks, different priorities and philosophies within a team, the amount of money at stake and the media attention in todays information society, the young, hungry rookie may be a victim of some invisible politics of window dressing, power and money none of which he knows or cares anything about.

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

There are some small advantages to paying attention to the process this time of year.

You can learn some of the machinations that occur,

"dfosterf" wrote:

I like this. You always have a great perspective on things, whether I agree with you or not.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago

Fresh from twitter by Mr. Bedard himself.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52082382.html 

"pack93z" wrote:

With one day to spare.. nothing like waiting til the last freaking minute.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Please stop, as I read your comments I hear my wife's whine voice. :icon_smile:

"pack93z" wrote:

LOL... my goal here is to speak of it until it is resolved.. no more comments such as that.. ;)

I wanted to play Hazer for a day.. :lol:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Your a Rodgers hater and a Favre fister and your not even a Packer fan :p

i liked some of these comments from the twitter page

Punko25
Report abuse
Thursday Jul 30, 2009 12:08 PM

"...on a new contract..."

Did he ever have a previous contract?!!!

duffer58
Report abuse
Thursday Jul 30, 2009 12:13 PM

Yes USC pays more then Packers.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

Fresh from twitter by Mr. Bedard himself.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52082382.html 

"dhazer" wrote:

With one day to spare.. nothing like waiting til the last freaking minute.

"pack93z" wrote:

Please stop, as I read your comments I hear my wife's whine voice. :icon_smile:

"DakotaT" wrote:

LOL... my goal here is to speak of it until it is resolved.. no more comments such as that.. ;)

I wanted to play Hazer for a day.. :lol:

"pack93z" wrote:

Your a Rodgers hater and a Favre fister and your not even a Packer fan :p

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I have to give you a +1 for your sense of humor. Well done young man.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Favre fister, indeed.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Just be sure to trot out the silicon-based lubricant before indulging your peculiar predilection, boys.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Is it in the agents best interest to wait?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4303428 

So why the sudden draft signing bounty?

A few possible reasons, gleaned from discussions with a veteran NFLPA official, several agents and team negotiators, and a few rookies:

It's the economy, stupid: It's usually a long stretch between the time that players are drafted and when they receive their first signing-bonus checks. Because they are financially squeezed more than ever by the recession, many players prefer to cash their signing bonus checks now rather than wait a month or two for them. Even "Mr. Irrelevant," the final choice in the draft, kicker Ryan Succop (Kansas City), received a signing bonus of $25,250.

Agents of change: Many agents arrange for their clients to receive a line of credit or a straight loan from a bank, to tide the player over until his first NFL contract is consummated. Taking the money early allows those agents to collect their commission fees and to repay the banks sooner. And the "recruiting" of prospective clients for the following year's draft seems to begin earlier every year, so agents already have expenses.

Slot machine: The value of a player's contract, particularly the signing bonus, is often determined by "slotting." That's a longtime system that pays a player depending on the round in which he is chosen and his relative position in that stanza. Of the 84 contracts examined so far by ESPN.com, there wasn't a single deal "out of slot." As rounds begin to fill in with signings, slotting definitely takes over. Why not take the money now, at present-day value, if you're going to be slotted anyway?

Cap-ital idea: Without an extension to the collective-bargaining agreement, there will be no salary cap in 2010, and many owners are already attempting to determine some of their expenses for that year. Signing a draft pick before July allows owners to quickly lock in the player's contract for the future. Only a few franchises, notably Pittsburgh and Arizona, have signed their middle- and late-round choices to three-year contracts. In a trend that started about three years ago, most of the clubs are signing even late-round picks to four-year deals.

Clearing the decks: Negotiations for first-round contracts are typically time-consuming and often acrimonious. Signing even late-round players early allows a team negotiator more time to devote to first-round deals.

Sooner rather than later:
Coaches increasingly want their draft choices in camp on time, and, if possible, prefer their participation in the team's offseason program. Team negotiators are trying harder than ever to fulfill their coach's desires because rookies often fit into a team's playing-time equation.

And to say that the teams have little control over the process, one of the better run teams in the league, the Steelers have had only one player late for camp in the last decade.. Big Ben in 04'... but yet the teams are at the mercy of the agents?

The Bears have a reputation for getting deals done..

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-12-39/No-rookie-holdouts-looming-in-Chicago.html 

After Len Pasquarelli's excellent column last week, there should be no surprise that Chicago became the first NFL team to sign its entire nine-man draft class Wednesday. The Bears' pair of third-round picks, defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert and receiver Juaquin Iglesias, both signed four-year contracts.

As Pasquarelli pointed out, Bears contract negotiator Cliff Stein typically makes quick work of signing rookie players. The Bears prefer not to have negotiations hanging over them as training camp approaches, and Stein is willing to make deals before the larger market materializes.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Is the sky falling yet?

Seriously, nobody will forget to play football if they're not there by Day one or two or three and so on. The best thing for both sides is to get a deal done that both sides like and not rush a deal. If you rush it, then you have to deal with an unhappy player three years from now.

Matthews signed today and Raji will likely sign within the next week if not sooner. I don't see a problem with Russ Ball's negotiation tactics nor do I see a problem with Raji's actions throughout this.

There is no problem. Not yet anyway and I personally don't see a problem occuring anytime soon.

"porky88" wrote:

While we are not probably going to push this window, to say that missing a week is no big deal, Gil disagrees.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-07-27/holdout-how-wreck-rookie-season 

"Any player who misses more than three days of camp is taking a serious risk," said Gil Brandt, long-time personnel director for the Cowboys who now is an analyst with NFL.com. "What rookies see at OTAs and minicamps doesn't compare to what they see at training camp. Everything is accelerated 100 percent.

"Historically, rookie holdouts have a hard time playing well and they often suffer injuries after they show up."

With camps opening around the league and dozens of top draft picks still unsigned, here is a look at the top seven unsigned rookies who least can afford a lengthy holdout:

B.J. Raji, NT, Packers. This is another team switching to a 3-4 scheme. They want to plug in Raji as a run stopper at nose tackle. Green Bay's offense looks potent on paper, but their run defense was shredded like paper last season, ranking 26th in the league.

Will Raji make a difference? It very well could depend on when he reports to training camp.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
beast (9h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (10h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (10h) : fuck
beast (11h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (11h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (11h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (11h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (12h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (13h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (13h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (13h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (13h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.