Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
According to WikiAnswers :

15 minutes before a regulation NFL game, both teams must present an "Inactive" list of 8 players to the officials. That means of a team's 53 man roster, only 45 may participate in the game itself. The lone exception is if the team has a 3rd string quarterback on the inactive list. There are separate rules for the 3rd string QB and how he may participate in a game, if at all.

The question then is, why have an inactive list? It's an attempt by the NFL to create a competitive balance on game day. Due to the brutal nature of the sport, a team can carry players on its 53 man roster that may be too injured to play in that game, but not so injured that they need to be put on Injured Reserve and miss the rest of the season.

Having an inactive list that removes 8 players on game day, basically guarantees that both teams will have the same number of healthy players available on game day, whether or not the 8 inactive players are truly injured. I do not know why 8 was chosen.

Quite naturally, the reasoning for an inactive list is controversial. Teams still must pay the inactive player their entire game day salary, and must pay to transport, feed, and lodge their inactive players on road trips. Also, limiting the amount of active players puts more players at risk of injury as it is more difficult to rest starters in blowouts, and regular players must also contribute more on special teams.

According to NFL News :

NFL'S "third-quarterback" rule -- sometimes misunderstood:

Seventeen years ago (1991) the third-quarterback rule was instituted to enable teams to have an emergency quarterback available who was not on the 45-man game-day active roster, since many teams, for strategic purposes, only carried two quarterbacks on their game-day roster.

Everybody thinks they understand the NFL's "third-quarterback" rule. But do they?

The rule states that if a third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used in the game at any position.

Another aspect of the rule is sometimes misunderstood. It is a coach's decision as to whether a third quarterback will be used.

The active quarterbacks do not have to be injured for a team to use its third quarterback.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Nick Barnett seems pretty stoked about the idea - check out his twitter page :ramboface:

http://twitter.com/NickBarnett 

"joym13" wrote:

I categorically refuse to demean myself in such a manner, thank you very much. :pottytrain2:
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

The problem i see with getting Vick is that he wouldn't want to remain a back up for long. Do we really want him competing for a starting job? I don't want him as a starter. I don't care if he is good. I don't want him even getting close to being a starter.

"DGB454" wrote:

Not a chance. Ricky Williams hasn't been a featured back since returning to the NFL and it's unlikely that Vick ever gets a chance to be a starter again. Plus if Green Bay signs him it'd be a one or two year deal tops. Probably a one year deal just for him to get back in the game and then maybe a team like San Francisco goes after him in the off-season.
4PackGirl
14 years ago
jeff george has a higher qb rating than vick. wow.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

jeff george has a higher qb rating than vick. wow.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

And about the same as Randall Cunningham, but I'm sure I would've picked him over Jeff George. Point is, they add something to the game. Jeff George would just be a steep decline from Aaron Rodgers. Mike Vick is something completely different.

I would sign him, put him on the team as the 4th RB (Cutting Lumpkin, most likely. Sorry!) and use him mainly in special packages. Maybe he can actually even function as a RB from time to time with his speed and elusiveness. We don't have a real scat back on the roster. There's so much possibilities with him on our roster and so much more that the opposing defense has to watch out for. And all of that for a pretty decent contract, most likely.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I LIKE this:

Probably a one year deal just for him to get back in the game and then maybe a team like San Francisco goes after him in the off-season.

"porky88" wrote:

and this:

I would sign him, put him on the team as the 4th RB (Cutting Lumpkin, most likely. Sorry!) and use him mainly in special packages.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Glad to see there's some sanity remaining in Packer Nation. 😉
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Vick to the Packers? Not so fast 
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- If you had to pick an NFL general manager least inclined to create controversy and invite public scrutiny, Packers GM Ted Thompson might be No. 1 on that list.

Nevertheless, Thompson did that Tuesday during a mini-news conference when he seemingly left the door open for Michael Vick to join the Packers by saying he would "not rule anything out."

Well, rule it out. As several team officials later clarified, Thompson was merely staying consistent with his own personal policy -- never show your hand on personnel moves. To absolutely rule out Vick publicly would be setting a precedent for the "reclusive" general manager.

To be honest, Vick and the Packers made a little sense. For one, an injury to Aaron Rodgers could make the Packers vulnerable. The Packers also have a tremendously loyal fan base that remembers Vick was the first opposing quarterback to win a playoff game at Lambeau Field, in 2002.

Then you have the Dom Capers factor. Capers is the new Packers defensive coordinator who was serving on the Patriots staff that had fits with the Dolphins' Wildcat formations last season in the AFC East. Maybe he whispered something in Thompson's ear?

The whispers were loud and clear behind closed doors. Vick and the Packers aren't happening.

Here's what I saw and learned on the fourth stop of my training camp bus tour:

# Packers coach Mike McCarthy is very content with the progress of both second-year reserve quarterbacks, Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm. Even though Brohm, a second-round pick in 2008, has made noticeable progress, it seems apparent that Flynn, a seventh-rounder last year, is making just as much progress, if not more.

UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I don't understand what the reporter means when he uses the fact that Capers had problems scheming against Miami's Wildcat as a reason for him to tell Ted not to sign Vick.

the article is fine otherwise, but i don't get that statement at all.
UserPostedImage
NormaL
14 years ago

he's an incredible QB

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

LOL, You called Vick a QB.....and an incredible one at that. Good stuff :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?
Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I think Mortensen was trying to say that one of the reasons why Thompson may have considered Vick is that Capers may have told him that scheming against a Wildcat offense is a nightmare, and therefore that would be a good development for the Packers. Obviously, he's speculating here.
UserPostedImage