dfosterf
14 years ago

I kind of figured this. The Packers are not going to set the market. They're a conservative team when it comes to paying their players and rarely do you see them to go out of their way to set standards. Maybe the Aaron Rodgers deal could be used as an exception.

"pack93z" wrote:

Exactly the reason that we are always pushing the deadline to get deals done.. going first isn't always a bad thing, especially if you can work a fair deal in the process.

I fail to see why all teams and agents wait until crunch time to get this deals done.. puts artificial pressure on the negotiations and will probably lead to some provisions that is unfair to one side or the other..

"porky88" wrote:

It's also incredibly risky to workout a bad deal for your side just for the sake of seven days of camp. The reason why the Packers are where they are with their salary cap is because they know how to get value for their dollar. Yes their are some exceptions, but for the most part this regime has put a huge emphasis on value and it's helped the salary cap in a big way. There is no reason to set a poor precedent just for the sake of seven days of camp for a player who'll make his biggest impact in the future.

"pack93z" wrote:

Let's be honest here, most of the time I would be willing to bet there isn't a huge gap between where we start with the process and where the overall numbers end.. the provisions in the contract probably get adjusted greatly.. most notably the guaranteed money.. but unless the guy completely bombs out or suffers a drastic injury, 1st rounders are going to play out that guaranteed money to try to recapture that investment.

In other words, lots of hand wringing for not a ton of concessions, yes there are exceptions, but most of the time the gap doesn't seem huge.

I suppose this all is high drama for some, normal business negotiations for others. Just depends on what flavor you like your spin.

"porky88" wrote:

What high drama.. more just discussing an issue that is affecting the ball club. Part of this delay very well might be by design... what better way to drum up a focus on fixing this issue in the next CBA than to have the numbers support that it is an issue.. the number of rookies sitting out in camp going into negotiations at the league level.

There is a reason that there is not a lot of press statements with the amount of rookies sitting in wait.

Drama.. No.. Discussing a broken process.. yes. IMO, the process shouldn't have to include rookies missing camp. There is months between the draft and the start of camp, some of the deadest months of the year. The process doesn't seem to capitalize on that time to ensure employees aren't missing time.

vegOmatic wrote:

Excellent points regarding the CBA and the press, Z. This process is fatally flawed, and the fact that these deals are not done (feels like they haven't really started, actually) is good news for the NFL as regards public perception when it comes time to sit down and fix what is wrong with the CBA and rookie compensation. Of course the impetus for the corrective action is on "our nickel", in the sense that we are presently stuck in the middle of this logjam. I personally find the whole thing quite disgusting, and am getting ready to start making predictions on just how soon our number one draft pick will get injured when he finally does arrive in camp, playing the proverbial "catch up" game. Before everyone or anyone starts calling that aspect of my worrying alarmism or it's equivalent, we have a history as a team in that arena.

Not to mention that him not being there is definitely taking away from the joy that I personally usually feel this time of year. This should be a time for optimism, but instead I find myself sadly deflated by this whole big pile of bullshit...Perhaps if someone remembers how to punt a friggin' football I will move away from this aspect of the training camp story (which I am trying to do, really). So far, in part thanks to this crap, all I have to work with is James Jones in the I told you so department, coupled with Justin not bustin' so far, which is becoming increasingly important as this crap drags on. Hell of a note... as of this writing our 3-4 is hinging at least in part on a half an hour acupuncture session on a back that has been deemed career threatening.

This is the stuff that failed seasons by rookies are made of...imo

+1 for the cartoon and the participation in the teeth of apparent apathy. No offense intended for any other poster, just frustrated, is all.

And the latest...

Link 

Crabtree contract continues to paralyze multiple picks
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 8:24 AM ET
As the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree, the tenth overall pick in the 2009 draft, continue to basically stare at each other and say nothing, other teams and players are suffering the consequences.

Picks eight, nine, eleven, and twelve continue to be unsigned, due in large part to the absence of a deal between Crabtree and the 49ers.

And some big-name agents are among the waiting: Tom Condon and Ben Dogra at CAA, Dave Dunn and friends and Athletes First, and Joe Segal.

Condon and Dogra have Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno (No. 12). Dunn has Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji (No. 9). And Segal has Bills defensive end Aaron Maybin (No. 11).

Given the possibility that Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, eventually will get the Niners to cave, it arguably makes sense to hold out the players drafted in the vicinity of Crabtree. As we've recently mentioned in connection with Jaguars tackle Eugene Monroe, the big-money windfall deals currently stretch to the seventh pick. If Crabtree and Parker can drag the large dollars all the way to No. 10, the guys picked just in front of him will benefit -- and the guys taken just after him might, too.

Meanwhile, there's no indication that Crabtree and the 49ers are any closer to a deal. There's a theory making the rounds that Parker might have promised Crabtree that he'd be a top-five pick, and that Parker's last-ditch effort to make good on that guarantee might be to get Crabtree paid as if he had been picked in that range.

Regardless of what happens next (and, frankly, given Crabtree's boast that he can run a 4.4 on crutches, we're not ruling out a decision to re-enter the draft in 2010), it's a huge mess. And while it could all end at any moment, there's no reason to think that that moment is coming any time soon.

IronMan
14 years ago
Im not worried. If Raji doesnt sign, Jennings can play NT/DE.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
All this is silly waiting for this crap to play out.. piss on him.. make your deals around this clown and Crabtree...

Source: Parker tells Niners that Crabtree will re-enter draft
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 11:52 AM ET
The situation in San Francisco between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree is quickly going from bad to worse.

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

Of course, what Crabtree specifically wants isn't known, since Parker (as multiple sources tell us) still hasn't made a proposal.

There's also a growing chorus of league insiders who are speaking out against the widely-believed effort by Parker to blow up the slotting process with Crabtree. Teams obviously would contend that the unwritten rules of draft-pick negotiation ritual should be honored; however, some of the agents who arguably would benefit from the introduction of chaos privately have described efforts to blow the curve as "inappropriate" and "unacceptable" and "wrong."

And if Crabtree opts to re-enter the draft next year, the current thinking is that he wouldn't be the first receiver drafted. For now, the guy who is regarded as likely to be the first wideout (and possibly the first overall pick) is Illinois junior Arrelious Benn.

Then again, if Crabtree is picked any higher than No. 10 after having a chance to engage in pre-draft workouts, he'd likely end up with more money than the slotting process currently would pay.

After, of course, waiting a year to get it.

"PFTalk" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago

All this is silly waiting for this crap to play out.. piss on him.. make your deals around this clown and Crabtree...

Source: Parker tells Niners that Crabtree will re-enter draft
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 11:52 AM ET
The situation in San Francisco between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree is quickly going from bad to worse.

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.

Of course, what Crabtree specifically wants isn't known, since Parker (as multiple sources tell us) still hasn't made a proposal.

There's also a growing chorus of league insiders who are speaking out against the widely-believed effort by Parker to blow up the slotting process with Crabtree. Teams obviously would contend that the unwritten rules of draft-pick negotiation ritual should be honored; however, some of the agents who arguably would benefit from the introduction of chaos privately have described efforts to blow the curve as "inappropriate" and "unacceptable" and "wrong."

And if Crabtree opts to re-enter the draft next year, the current thinking is that he wouldn't be the first receiver drafted. For now, the guy who is regarded as likely to be the first wideout (and possibly the first overall pick) is Illinois junior Arrelious Benn.

Then again, if Crabtree is picked any higher than No. 10 after having a chance to engage in pre-draft workouts, he'd likely end up with more money than the slotting process currently would pay.

After, of course, waiting a year to get it.

"pack93z" wrote:

"PFTalk" wrote:

If this is true it is the first good news we have got.

Why?

NO WAY the rest of them will follow his lead to sit out. (Not that I believe for a second that he would)

This would be safe terrain for Raji's agent to allow him to be signed per the slot, ignoring the Crabtree slot. Call it the "Crabtree and agent are incredibly stupid" window of opportunity.

I hope this is true. It is one thing to sit quietly "pat" while a fellow draft pick takes the heat for his and his agent's stubborn position...It is quite another to commit to crossing the rubicon  of a year-long sit-out.

We have zero evidence that Raji and his agent would even consider it.

Does ANYONE think that if Crabtree actually sat for a year that ANY NFL team would draft him higher than 10? He would be lucky to make the first 3 rounds after confirming what I already knew.

DIVA

I think it no accident that the day after the moron from the SF chronicle writes a story pressuring the 9ers to sign Crabtree at his number we get this crap.

I think that the GB media, coupled with TT...should play the game also.

The best story to hit right about now would be something along the lines of diminshed value comparative to where Raji was taken.

The title of the story?

"Is Raji still worth a 9th pick contract?"

Yes. I like it.
Tezzy
14 years ago
I will laugh hard if Crabtree decides to sit it out and reenter the draft next year. All these teams and players/agents waiting on someone that ends up not setting the price. Kinda funny, but extremely inferiorating if that occurs.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Crabtree is a tool. if he does sit out, this little "I'm taking my toys and going home" routine will be enough to knock him out of the first round next year. however, he'll never do it. hopefully this just gets things moving, let's get Raji into camp.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

I kind of figured this. The Packers are not going to set the market. They're a conservative team when it comes to paying their players and rarely do you see them to go out of their way to set standards. Maybe the Aaron Rodgers deal could be used as an exception.

"pack93z" wrote:

Exactly the reason that we are always pushing the deadline to get deals done.. going first isn't always a bad thing, especially if you can work a fair deal in the process.

I fail to see why all teams and agents wait until crunch time to get this deals done.. puts artificial pressure on the negotiations and will probably lead to some provisions that is unfair to one side or the other..

"porky88" wrote:

It's also incredibly risky to workout a bad deal for your side just for the sake of seven days of camp. The reason why the Packers are where they are with their salary cap is because they know how to get value for their dollar. Yes their are some exceptions, but for the most part this regime has put a huge emphasis on value and it's helped the salary cap in a big way. There is no reason to set a poor precedent just for the sake of seven days of camp for a player who'll make his biggest impact in the future.

"pack93z" wrote:

Let's be honest here, most of the time I would be willing to bet there isn't a huge gap between where we start with the process and where the overall numbers end.. the provisions in the contract probably get adjusted greatly.. most notably the guaranteed money.. but unless the guy completely bombs out or suffers a drastic injury, 1st rounders are going to play out that guaranteed money to try to recapture that investment.

In other words, lots of hand wringing for not a ton of concessions, yes there are exceptions, but most of the time the gap doesn't seem huge.

"porky88" wrote:

Most of the time what you say is correct, but this situation is different.

The deal that is holding up the contract is Darius Heyward-Bey getting overpaid with the No. 7 pick. That's the same reason why Crabtree wants more money as well. He's better than Heyward-Bey and most scouts agree and the market for a receiver in the top ten went up.

That deal is holding up that of Andre Smith at No. 6 who wants to be paid like a top five pick and Eugene Monroe at No. 8 who's value just went up because of the price the No. 7 pick just got

The Packers can give in and follow the precedent set by the Oakland Raiders or they can wait this out and get fair value for their draft pick.

When has following the Raiders this decade been a good thing? There is a reason why they pick this high every year.

The Packers just can't give Raji a ridiculous contract. Yes, he'll get big time money know matter what, but the Packers must not set knew standards when it comes to signing draft picks.

Personally, I don't care what happens because I think Raji will be a good player, but you can't look at this through one side at all. Both sides have arguments to be made. Raji has a right to get paid what the market is and the Packers have a right not to follow the same path of bad teams.
warhawk
14 years ago
The latest on Crabtree is he is demanding more money than the Heyward-Bay because all the mock drafts had him as the best receiver. This is not a joke. This is what is being reported.

Essentially, the Crabtree camp is saying Davis made a mistake, took the wrong guy, and he want's the money they paid out. All the mock drafts proves that. I believe I have now heard everything.

That deal was $23mil+ so at least there is some information now on what kind of money he is holding out for.

Kill Mel Kiper. It's all his fault.
"The train is leaving the station."
dhazer
14 years ago

49ers | Crabtree's agent has not threatened sitting out season
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:45:13 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports Eugene Parker, agent for San Francisco 49ers first-round draft choice WR Michael Crabtree, has not verbally threatened the 49ers with a holdout for the entire season by Crabtree, according to a source.

so many reports come out haven't we learned not everything is real
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
RainX
14 years ago
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/06/knowshon-deal-close/ 

No. 12 pick Knowshon Moreno is close to inking a deal with Denver. HOPEFULLY this will get the ball rolling on No.11 Maybin or the other Top 15 picks who remained unsigned including Raji.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (36m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.