Pack93z
14 years ago

There is a simple reason why a lot of people, including me, think the injuries affected him last year: because he didn't play as well as he had in his first two years. I'm going to wait a little longer before I jump on the "A.J. Sucks" bandwagon.

"Greg C." wrote:

If any of this is in reference to my criticism, I don't think he sucks, or is giving anything less than his full effort.

However, I will disagree that he played well in 2007 for the entire season.. 2006 I will agree he looked good for a rookie backer adjusting to the game. But go back and watch Hawk of 06, verses Hawk of 07 & 08.. IMO, Hawk became a reactionary linebacker and did not attack plays.

In 07, it was the scheme that was holding him back, the read and react coverage that Sanders was utilizing and that Hawk was a beat or two slow. In 08, it was an injury, scheme and moving that caused him to play that same reactionary stance and didn't attack plays. Fine, I can buy part of that explanation, even though IMO, as time wears on he is becoming slower and slower to react, like he is over thinking the game.

So, my expectations for Hawk in camp this year is that he would be hungry and playing at a different level. Reading those that are covering camp, from JSonline, the State Journal and the Press Gazette is that Hawk hasn't been sharp and in an aggressive camp has been one of the quieter players. That is disappointing.

Is that a true measure of the season to come for Hawk.. nope. But in the first week of camp and expectations of an attacking group of linebackers, this news is disappointing after watching his play, IMO, decline after a solid rookie season.

Personally, the "sucks" label never was applied once.. but in the same accord is he playing up to the expectations of such a attacking backer in college and a solid rookie season to build off.

Why is it when some are critical of a players play that it is automatically believed that the player "sucks"? It is an honest question...
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
Simply put, I think Hawk will be an impact LB healthy, under Capers. JMHO
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
14 years ago
For as much grief that I have given Moss over the last two season.. here is my thoughts summarized in his words.

BTW.. this sounds like he is thinking too much which was speculated at great length..

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52727432.html 

"We're going to get him to pull the trigger and fire and take shots. Hawk wants to be right (in his assignment) all the time. We're going to get him focused on being a little bit more reckless like he did that rookie year when he was extremely productive. We're going to go back to him just going in there and making some things happen."

"Winston Moss" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago

Simply put, I think Hawk will be an impact LB healthy, under Capers. JMHO

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

I truly hope so as well.. over the winter I was as excited for this group and Hawk as a focal point for them to turn it loose in this defense... again.. a week of camp doesn't write the whole season off. It just sounds disappointing after two years of declining play, albeit it maybe last season was injury riddled.
Greg C.
14 years ago

Personally, the "sucks" label never was applied once.. but in the same accord is he playing up to the expectations of such a attacking backer in college and a solid rookie season to build off.

Why is it when some are critical of a players play that it is automatically believed that the player "sucks"? It is an honest question...

"pack93z" wrote:

That's a good question. Looking back at this thread, I think my comment was excessive, especially considering that you specifically said that you don't think he sucks. My apologies for being so sloppy. No offense was intended.

My bottom line is that this is the first negative report I've heard of Hawk in training camp, after having heard a very positive report on him in the first day or two, so I'd like to wait till I hear more before I start getting concerned about him.

Of course I agree that he's been nowhere near the player he was in college, and at this point I would be happy with him being an important cog in a great defense, even if he isn't All Pro material.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Most of these football beat writers are dorky masscom majors who probably never played a down of football in their life, so I don't put much stock in their assessments. This offseason has been remarkably drama-free, so in their desperate quest to meet deadlines, they seize on whatever ragged thread they can possibly grasp, and in this case it's Hawk's perceived lack of aggression. I'll wait to see Hawk in real-game situations before I start to panic.

As for Humphrey, I think it's obvious that he is not long for the NFL. Unfortunate for us, but I'd rather have us clear a roster spot in preseason than get sideswiped during the regular season.

And what is it with Packers and hamstring injuries? Jesus, people, warm up before you hit the practice field. Though I have to admit I tweaked a hamstring a couple of days ago while doing bench press. How the FRIG that is possible, I haven't the faintest clue.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
There was a lot of talk at the end of last year about Rock's program with all of the squats/etc leading to hamstring problems because it builds the quads up huge. I'm a little surprised to see it carry over into this year, but I don't see it as a "rash of hamstring injuries" yet, fingers crossed/knock on wood/etc..
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
The only way a program of squats builds up quads to the detriment of hamstrings is if there is an excessive emphasis on front squats over back squats. I squat three times a week, and while my quads certainly have become larger, my gluteus and hamstrings have become HUGE relative to my frame. It is very hard for me to find jeans that fit me properly now. Deep back squats improve not only the strength but also the flexibility of the hip flexors and hamstrings, as well as improve the integrity of all knee ligaments (including the PCL, which is very hard to develop).

No, if anything, squatting regularly should improve overall hamstring health.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

My bottom line is that this is the first negative report I've heard of Hawk in training camp, after having heard a very positive report on him in the first day or two, so I'd like to wait till I hear more before I start getting concerned about him.

Of course I agree that he's been nowhere near the player he was in college, and at this point I would be happy with him being an important cog in a great defense, even if he isn't All Pro material.

"Greg C." wrote:

There is no doubt that I bang on Hawk heavily.. I think it is because I watch his play from OSU and then look at 07 and 08 play and think to myself that it is a different player.

Out of all the players on this squad past their second year.. I think he has the highest ceiling of untapped potential.. either that or he played well above his ability in college.

Also, I think I have such high hopes for this unit after they played below par last season.. Greene, Moss and a scheme that highlights backers.... hope that Hawk plays lights out this season and earns his next big contract off his play.
Dulak
14 years ago
If anyone is going to make our D great this year (besides our secondary) it will be Capers ... he's the man that will make our D work well.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (11h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.