yooperfan
14 years ago

I'm shocked at the Raji Hate. Glorified DE? Twinky? I hope he eats lots of twinkies so he's huge and plugs that NT spot up. I want RBs to run seven feet to the left and still be in front of Raji's fat ass.

But he'll show up. This is just (unfortunate) business.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

C'mon - you're not really shocked. I mean, it's a pro athlete and things aren't working out perfectly - of course there's going to be hate, that's how it works. Fans hate athletes, except for during those fleeting moments they do something impressive on the field - the rest of the time it's all hate and envy.

"tromadz" wrote:

I certainly have no hate for Raji, he is just a young kid being led around by the nose by a greedy agent.
I do envy anyone that can command that kind of money for playing a game that in the whole scope of things means no more than a Little League game.
The slotting thing is nothing more than an egotistical bunch of bullshit played by greedy agents.

Oh Vince Lombardi, where art thou now!!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

Raji if you are reading this - Hi!

"bozz_2006" wrote:

+1

Oh and Raji, what the heck are you doing wasting your time like that?
Don't you have better places to lerk? :magnifyglass:
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

I'm shocked at the Raji Hate. Glorified DE? Twinky? I hope he eats lots of twinkies so he's huge and plugs that NT spot up. I want RBs to run seven feet to the left and still be in front of Raji's fat ass.

"tromadz" wrote:

+1
The Trom speaks. As it is written, so shall it be done.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

Short point (an aphorism from my law school days, used to explain why even someone trained as a lawyer should hire a(nother) lawyer to represent him/her in adversary proceedings): Represent yourself, and be assured that you will have a fool for a client.

Longer point: If I had a son with the skill sets of a NFL first round draft choice, I'd tell him to get a pit bull of an agent. Someone not afraid to be obnoxiously aggressive on his behalf and take all sorts of crap from fans like me for it. Someone who could care less about the "team" who drafted him.

As a fan I hate holdouts. And I'm happy to call agents "scum" when the holdout might affect "my" team. But if I were in Raji's shoes, I'd be looking to hire the biggest prick possible as my agent if I were convinced that that prick was going to be the most zealous on my behalf.

And if the market for someone drafted in my position starts at twelve gazillion dollars, a zealous agent is not doing his job unless his negotiating starts somewhere well above 12 gazillion dollars; and unless he gets his client *at least* 12 gazillion dollars.

And let us not forget, the NFL is *not* a free market. Raji has exactly three options. He plays for the Packers. He goes back into next years draft. Or he does something other than play NFL football. He doesn't get to play for another football team this year. Period. That single fact gives the Packers huge bargaining power.

Enough all by itself to justify hiring a pit bull of an agent.

Add in the fact that Raji even if he majored in "sports agent management" or some such, has nowhere near his agent's skill set.

I majored in econ and management in college. I have advanced degrees in both law and econ. I've *taught* business majors for close to 20 years. I've practiced law. And I wouldn't dream of representing myself had I skills that could draw a multi-million dollar employment contract.

I might have a bit more skill at choosing a representative than Raji. I hope I would, anyway. But I'd use that skill to figure out who was the most zealous of representatives. Not to figure out who was best at making nicey-nicey.

The time to become a "team player" is *after* you sign your first NFL contract. Not before.

The job of an agent is not to get what his client "should be willing to take." The job of an agent is to get as much on his client's behalf as his client's employer is willing to give. Nothing else.

"Wade" wrote:

I agree with ALMOST everything you say Wade. I would want my son to have the same nasty SOB you want.
The place, as a fan, I draw the line is over the question of, "How close are they?" I don't want them haggling over the last dollar, or even the last million in a $30+ million dollar deal.
If GB is offering $30 million with $16 guaranteed and they want $32 with $17 guaranteed, and they hold out 4 months over it, it is not worth it. It is not worth it to hold out 3 weeks. Training camp goes by fast and missing out can mean the difference between starting or filling in situationally. If he sits out too long he may not get into the flow of the defense.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

I agree with ALMOST everything you say Wade. I would want my son to have the same nasty SOB you want.
The place, as a fan, I draw the line is over the question of, "How close are they?" I don't want them haggling over the last dollar, or even the last million in a $30+ million dollar deal.
If GB is offering $30 million with $16 guaranteed and they want $32 with $17 guaranteed, and they hold out 4 months over it, it is not worth it. It is not worth it to hold out 3 weeks. Training camp goes by fast and missing out can mean the difference between starting or filling in situationally. If he sits out too long he may not get into the flow of the defense.

"wpr" wrote:

Agreed, wpr.
Though I would add that, in such a situation, I'd be equally teed off at the Packers. At some point "split the difference" just makes sense from both sides. Anything else is just trying to see who gets to say "Nanner nanner nanner. I got the last word!"

Sure would be nice to get in the position where you could say "2 million apart" is close, wouldn't it? I hate rich people sometimes. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

Sure would be nice to get in the position where you could say "2 million apart" is close, wouldn't it? I hate rich people sometimes. :)

"Wade" wrote:

I'll bet you and I could easily divide up $2. It would take us 10 min.
The worse case senario would be giving the Gov't $1 and taking $500,000 each. I could live with that.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
hehe...well, I think you should give your million to the government and I'll keep the other. That's more fairer.

(No, I was never elected to high office. But I know the shtick.)

p.s. yep. 10 minutes or less. Of course if it were you and I negotiating I probably would have settled for 15 million a month ago. And you'd be GMing for GB from your over-the-water villa in Bora Bora. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

hehe...well, I think you should give your million to the government and I'll keep the other. That's more fairer.

"Wade" wrote:

Hey! Don't go Crabtree on me. :physassult:

(No, I was never elected to high office. But I know the shtick.)

p.s. yep. 10 minutes or less. Of course if it were you and I negotiating I probably would have settled for 15 million a month ago. And you'd be GMing for GB from your over-the-water villa in Bora Bora. :)

"Wade" wrote:

TRUTH!
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

"yooperfan" wrote:

C'mon - you're not really shocked. I mean, it's a pro athlete and things aren't working out perfectly - of course there's going to be hate, that's how it works. Fans hate athletes, except for during those fleeting moments they do something impressive on the field - the rest of the time it's all hate and envy.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I certainly have no hate for Raji, he is just a young kid being led around by the nose by a greedy agent.
I do envy anyone that can command that kind of money for playing a game that in the whole scope of things means no more than a Little League game.
The slotting thing is nothing more than an egotistical bunch of bullshit played by greedy agents.

Oh Vince Lombardi, where art thou now!!!!

"tromadz" wrote:

I envy them a little, but I'm also reminded that had I applied myself more when I was younger, I could be doing the same thing. I didn't - I didn't have the drive, determination or self-sacrifice to do it, so now I have a day job. Sucks, but it's not like I didn't have a choice.

Granted, many of these guys are gifted to a point that I was not, but a lot of it is pure effort and self-sacrifice. While I was off goofing around, they were working to hone their skills and their bodies to prepare themselves to play at that level.

Do I think they're overpaid? No, I think the whole industry's overpaid - since they're the ones out on the field getting their bodies broken, I figure they're entitled to a good chunk of the money.

For the record (and more on topic), though: I'd just as soon Raji tell his agent to stuff it, sign a damn contract and get him into camp, if I had a say in the matter.
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
if any athletes ought to get paid such huge sums of money, it's football players. after 6-8 years of this punishment, their bodies are destroyed. I hope Raji makes a whole ton of money... just decide on exactly how much PDQ!!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.