Pack93z
14 years ago

The rookie slotting system, while needed, is realistically just a crutch for their lack of backbone.

"IronMan" wrote:

Thank you! +1.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I would go as far as to say, that if it takes a lockout to get there, somehow the rookie contracts have got to get under control. This has been mentioned on here a number of times in the CBA threads.

This is one of the primary reasons the owners opted out.. the money (a good percentage becomes dead) for the 1st round of the draft is absurd and out of line. Look, I don't think the owners are hurting that badly in the revenue department, but throwing this kind of money at a totally unproven commodity is ridiculous. Additionally it artificially drives up the veteran salaries at a higher pace and yearly causes contract riffs with players that suddenly are "underpaid" with respect to these snot nosed 1st round rooks.

Establish a rookie pool, with every pick given a percentage of the salary cap on their rookie deals, establish a "fair" threshold where the rookie can obtain unrestricted free agency and let them establish their market value on the field and earn their larger salary three to four years into their career. Even the running backs and their short career numbers would at least see one large contract. I would be willing to bet as well, that the number of draft busts would decrease in the first round or two as well.

Why tab the incoming rookie salaries to the cap? Simple, it would ensure that each year as the cap increases their salary would increase as well. Additionally, this would in a way protect all parties involved as their wages would be static, budgeted and level in respect to player costs.

Further more, it would increase the competitive balance in the league to a greater degree, as the draft would start to truly help the team that it was intended to help and free them from the financial waste of top 10 busts.

As far as the players go, it would create a larger veteran pool of cap and start balancing the contracts out again where proven players and stars earn proportionally more than these green rookies.

The ones that lose out are the agents of these inbound rookies, but they will have a change to see more of the contracts with the veteran players, however it would hurt their cash flow influx that they see every July and August.

But the trickle down effect into the college game would be helpful as well, basically these blood thirsty leeches wouldn't be lining the pockets of draft eligible juniors and seniors in the agent recruiting wars. Don't think it is there.. don't kid yourself.. it is, just most are smart enough to keep it under wraps. Just as dirty (by the rules) as the colleges handing out money.

So yes, this needs to happen for the good of the long term health of the game from the players, owners and fan perspective.

PS... I hope they give Raji a chance to get his legs under him, slowly get into the football hitting portions and avoid further delays to him hitting the field.

He is behind in the installs, but his body is also behind all the other cats that have been hitting and getting their bodies adjusted to the physical nature of the game again. People that say he hasn't missed out much are missing this aspect of the game, and if he or the team tries to rush the process, it is generally where an injury occurs and put him even further behind.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
Whats next...

Source... 

Roundup: What's next for Raji
There still were details to be worked out today, an NFL source said late Thursday night, but for all intents and purposes, the Packers and top draft pick B.J. Raji have a deal at last.

For obvious reasons, Raji won't play in Saturday's preseason opener. So, what will it take for Raji to be on the field when the Packers return to practice Monday afternoon?

Well, for starters, he needs to get back to Green Bay and sign the five-year contract, which is widely reported to have a realistic value of $28.5 million, including about $18 million in guarantees. (The Packers will have to cut someone to make room for him on the roster.)

Then, Raji will have to go through the same process as every other player who arrives at training camp -- an administrative process, a physical exam and then a series of conditioning tests. That's why coach Mike McCarthy was so hesitant on Thursday night to say what the plan will be when Raji arrives. If Raji's not in shape, the Packers might need to work him out for several days before clearing him to see the practice field.

Even if Raji has kept up his conditioning, his repetitions likely will be extremely limited in the earlygoing. The last thing the Packers want is Raji overexerting himself against players who have been knocking themselves into playing shape for two weeks and ending up with an injury -- particularly with the sort of investment they've made in him.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if Raji sits out the second preseason game as well, simply because he'll only have, at most, three days of practice before it. Of course the Packers want to get him some work in the exhibition season, but the only date that truly matters is Sept. 13, when the Packers host Chicago in the season opener.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Looking at some more of Bedard's tweets, we did make the contract a little saver, for if he will be injured most of the time.

@Greg_A_Bedard : Raji gets another $5.5 million if he plays 35% of snaps (I assume yearly). So if he's healthy (unlike Harrell), ....

@Greg_A_Bedard : ...his deal is really $23.5 million. Seems like a pretty good deal for Raji. But we'll wait for the final numbers.

Still, assuming that he'll be a starter in those years, it's pretty much $23.5 million guaranteed. That's one hefty amount (on a $28.5 million contract).
dfosterf
14 years ago
I just want to go on record as stating that we were forced by life's circumstances to overpay for his fat ass. (angrily editorially-speaking)

There is no bigger supporter of this draft pick than yours truly. I would say I am tied in the support department with many, but that does not negate the fact that he got MILLIONS more than the slot/relative appreciation in the market would indicate. He is also devalued in real terms due to his holdout from where he was actually selected... He is no longer a full-blown 9th pick draft value, on paper, imo.

We have paid a price for this broken "system" or whatever you want to call it. The good news is that this whole (ongoing) episode will have far-reaching ramifications for all rookies and the CBA going forward. I now hope that Diva Crabdouche holds out until hell freezes over. He will not, though, because we have broken the logjam...again, imo.

I am at once extremely relieved and pleased that B.J. can't spellsoar Raji is in the fold and pissed that his contract will spell additional trouble come resign time for some of our coming due for renewal contracts.

Someone go stick some needles in Harrell's back and see if that cures him. It might put me in a better frame of mind.

Peace.
musccy
14 years ago
nonstop touched on good points. Ultimately the GM truly holds the power. A rookie has 2 choices....sign, or sit on his ass and do nothing and make no football money until the day before the next draft...and how high do you think he'll be drafted if he sits out a year (prima dona perception, out of football shape, etc.)

Also, it's interesting to me the difference that 15 picks makes. Matthews gets 7.1 mil guaranteed, vs. 18 for BJ, only half a selection round higher
DakotaT
14 years ago

Someone go stick some needles in Harrell's back and see if that cures him. It might put me in a better frame of mind.

Peace.

"dfosterf" wrote:

What I don't understand is why he isn't buddying up with Jolly for some of that high grade sizzurp. Surely there is enough pain medication in doctor's office to get Harrell on the field for twenty snaps a game.

I know, I've been accused of being pretty heartless.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
Did i miss something does Raji actually play a game changing position? Way it sounds on here is that he is going to play qb/rb/wr/K/CB/S/Lb/De hell we signed a fat guy to a very over priced contract and people think we are the greatest team ever. Don't get me wrong I'm happy he signed but he isn't going to be all that on the defense, he is a space eater that will be his job.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago

Don't get me wrong I'm happy he signed but he isn't going to be all that on the defense, he is a space eater that will be his job.

"dhazer" wrote:

Which is the most important part of the defense. It all starts up front. Did you watch any of the games last year?
Greg C.
14 years ago

Did i miss something does Raji actually play a game changing position? Way it sounds on here is that he is going to play qb/rb/wr/K/CB/S/Lb/De hell we signed a fat guy to a very over priced contract and people think we are the greatest team ever. Don't get me wrong I'm happy he signed but he isn't going to be all that on the defense, he is a space eater that will be his job.

"dhazer" wrote:

Tell that to Richard Seymour of the Patriots. Also, Raji will be groomed for the pivotal nose tackle position, and will probably spend a lot of time there this season, in addition to DE.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
We're just happy to have him in camp. Yes, the contract is ridiculous, but what'd you expect for a nr. 9 pick.

And as to the game changing position... I think that it's way harder and a lot more important to find a good NT, than a good LB, DE or RB for instance. It all starts along the lines, even in a 3-4. Just look at the teams with good 3-4 defenses. They all have a good NT. Thinking Pittsburgh (Casey Hampton, 1st round), Baltimore (Haloti Ngata, 1st round). Even the lesser defenses are building around their NT. NY Jets (Cullen's big bro, Kris Jenkins) for instance.