porky88
14 years ago

Mostly it's just a shame, though. It's been unbelievable to watch this guy trash his legacy like this.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

and if he wins a championship, what will have been trashed??

"dhpackr" wrote:

Whoa!! Putting the cart in front of the horse are we? Let's let the guy play at least half a season before we anoint the Vikings championship winners.

edit, if they win? Not his on field legacy. His legacy as a man, has been tainted, in my opinion.

"Greg C." wrote:

I agree with you.

Minnesota is going to be very disappointed if they get ahead of themselves.

I was also doing some thinking for while now and teams that are anointed "one piece away" really tend to be several pieces away.

That's how I feel about the Chicago Bears since getting their alleged "final piece" and I think the Minnesota Vikings get thrown right in there with them.

2008 - Steelers
2007 - Giants
2006 - Colts
2005 - Steelers
2004 - Patriots
2003 - Patriots
2002 - Buccaneers
2001 - Patriots
2000 - Ravens

Those are the Super Bowl winners from this decade.

Hard to see one piece and specifically I'm talking blockbuster like deal that put them over the top.

Baltimore added Jamal Lewis via the draft. New England had a 6th round pick named Tom Brady emerge. Tampa got a coach and that's about as big as a blockbuster as there was from those teams.

New England did trade for Corey Dillon and he had one great year, but they were hardly a team that needed him considering they were already defending champs.

These blockbuster deals tend not to have the immediate impact that people think they will. It tends to take a blockbuster move and then several lower key moves over the course of a time span that puts a team into the elite of the league. The thing is most blockbuster moves are made with the idea of the guy staying around for a long time, this one is a one and done or maybe two and done type of deal.

There are quite a bit of what ifs that come with this move.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I don't harbor any hostility toward Brett Favre. To nurture hostility toward him would require the expenditure of emotional energy on him, and I don't do that anymore. The last time I experienced a true emotion regarding him was when he threw the overtime interception against the Giants. I was angry about that for days. After the anger wore off, all that remained was apathy, and that is how I feel now. I derive a sardonic sense of amusement over the thought of his playing for the Vikings, but that is amusement directed mostly against the soap opera that is the Vikings, not Favre personally.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
14 years ago
Very good points made throughout this thread, and now that I've had several hours to get my Irish temper in check, my German stubborness overules everything. Brett your a bitch because of how you handled yourself over the last few years. Training camp is part of the game and if you didn't have the nads to go through it anymore you should have just quit instead of holding teams hostage and toying with fans emotions with all of your schemes. I hope it's worth it to you because you have tarnished your Green Bay legacy with many fans.

I hate the fact that Brett is playing in Minnesota and I don't waiver from that. I don't wish him harm but when it happens I will not shed any tears. I may even smirk a little bit.

By the way Formo, the Packers won Super Bowl XXXI because they had the number one defense both in points allowed and points scored, and also because of a little guy named Desmond. Brett adequately drove the car. You guys don't quite have as loaded a car as we had back then, but good luck I guess with the paper championship they will annoint you.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Brett adequately drove the car.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Fascinating point. I used to think I was just biased against him, but every time I watch the replays of Super Bowl XXXI, this point is reinforced for me. He had an amazing team around him. Watching the highlight reels from that year gives me goosebumps.

I still think, however, between 1995 and 1998 Brett Favre was one of the greatest quarterbacks in history.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Favre bragged about how good the talent he had around him in NY.
Then, he bails on them.........to go to Minn?
Why? We ALL know the REAL reason.
After all........how good was he in domes in his career? Hopefully he keeps up the good work.
UserPostedImage
freethrowdunk
14 years ago
ohhh the irony!

UserPostedImage

That is the greatest gift I have ever received. I was also at that game that day.
blank
porky88
14 years ago

Brett adequately drove the car.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Fascinating point. I used to think I was just biased against him, but every time I watch the replays of Super Bowl XXXI, this point is reinforced for me. He had an amazing team around him. Watching the highlight reels from that year gives me goosebumps.

I still think, however, between 1995 and 1998 Brett Favre was one of the greatest quarterbacks in history.

"DakotaT" wrote:

From 95-98 he had a run of seasons that no quarterback has ever had ever. I think that's the greatest run of all time of any QB actually.

That was 11 to 14 years ago though.

Minnesota isn't getting the same Brett Favre as the Packers had back then and they certainly don't have a team that matches up to the Packers back then either.

Adrian Peterson does of course.

Some would argue their defensive line and that's a big maybe because the Packers 96 defensive line was pretty dominating.

Nevermind that Brad Childress is also no Mike Holmgren.

This is still kind of uncharted territory from Favre.
4PackGirl
14 years ago
after watching the presser, i have come to the following conclusion:

brett favre is too big for brett favre, too big for the nfl, too big for the packers fans, & way too dang big for his britches!!

my dad would say "that boy needs to get knocked down a few pegs & get re-introduced to reality".

"don't watch" - that's his solution to those fans who don't like his decision? how the f are we NOT to watch when he's plunked himself down in our division?? i know one thing i won't watch - every postgame news conference for the entire season. when favre gets diarrhea of the mouth, he's a train wreck!
rant...over. 😃
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
You know, I read this stuff and I'm torn. On the one hand, I find it hard to have a personal beef with the guy - football's been his life and I can't say I understand what it feels like to walk away from something like that. As for his waffling and gaffes throughout this, it's honestly on par with the rest of his career - he was always saying/doing stupid stuff, we just blew it off because he was "our Brett".

I do see what the "haters" (I'm using this because it's easy, not because I believe it) are saying, though. If you bleed green and gold, this can feel like a betrayal. And once you look at things from an objective viewpoint, the whole thing gets to be a little pathetic.

Here's what I know: He had his best statistical season in 2007 and led the team to the NFCCG. Prior to that season he worked harder to get in shape than he ever had before in his career. Last year he broke down - I don't think even his apologists can say otherwise. Coincidentally, his preparation last year consisted of throwing to some HS kids.

I think you see where I'm going with this. This year (to our knowledge) his prep has consisted of some rehab work on his arm and throwing to HS kids - he engineered it so he wouldn't have to go to training camp. And he's still got the bum shoulder. So from a strictly physical standpoint, the argument can be made that he's more likely to break down again this year than not.

Minnesota's receivers (except for maybe Harvin) are not better than what he had in NY - they're about the same. Obviously, the RB is better, but T. Jones and the other kid in NY weren't slouches. The Jets broke the bank and assembled a very good o-line; the Vikings are going to start the year with untested guys at center and right tackle - it would be foolish to underestimate the impact losing Birk will have, at least early on.

Other than Peterson and the defense (assuming that secondary can keep it together), I don't see much upgrade from the 2008 Jets to the 2009 Vikes. Both HCs are morons.

All together, while I wish Favre the best in Minny (2 games against GB aside, of course), I'm not sure why everyone's so damn positive he's going to get to, much less win, a Super Bowl with them. Looking at everything, he could easily break down this year like he did last year, and conceivably he could get hurt early on while that o-line tries to gel in front of him. If, hypothetically, Kampmann gets loose on him like he did on Quinn, can a 40-year-old Favre get out of the way? I don't know.

So I don't hate him - and I do wish him luck. But I don't see this being a slam dunk by any means, and if it tanks there are several people who will (and should) lose their jobs over it.
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago
Like i have said MANY times.
I don't hate him even one one thousanth of one percent. But i won't cheer for him as a Viking.
I hope some day to sit down with him and have a soda.
I just can't force myself to cheer for any team but my beloved Packers. I was a Packer fan LONG before BF came here, and will be till i die.
If someone wants to cheer for him, i don't mind at all, thats their choice.
I just hope those same people can understand why some of us won't cheer for him as a member of our most hated rival.
UserPostedImage