PackerTraxx
14 years ago
Source Link 

He's unassuming, soft-spoken and committed. He's almost always available. And he really knows how to play the game.

The Green Bay Packers figured they could do better than Montgomery at defensive end after his contract expired in late February. It wasn't until the unrestricted signing period was 3 1/2 weeks old that they brought him back with a two-year deal worth $2.85 million.

Clearly, the Packers are glad they did. With Justin Harrell and Johnny Jolly out with injuries and B.J. Raji out of camp for two weeks, Montgomery has started for the last 10 days at left end in the base 3-4 and at left tackle alongside Cullen Jenkins in the 4-2 nickel defense.

"You know what he is? Just a meat-and-potatoes type guy," defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said. "Mike is not the typical guy, but Mike makes plays and Mike busts his (expletive). There's a place for a guy like him."

The Packers weren't the only ones who doubted if Montgomery could hold up in a 3-4 defense. Slump-shouldered with a mincing gait mindful of Ichabod Crane, he's almost a sapling among the gigantic oak trees at his position.

Montgomery, however, has a knack for finding the ball. Reggie McKenzie, a long-time personnel man for the Packers, said exactly that less than a week into Montgomery's first training camp in 2005.

"It's football," said Montgomery. "I just feel my way through it."

Despite standing just 6 feet 5 inches, Montgomery had a scholarship offer from Division I Stephen F. Austin to play center or power forward on the basketball team.

Again, Montgomery got a lot more than his share of rebounds because he understood the angles, how to position his body and the meaning of being physical.

The same thing applied to carving out his niche in the 3-4. Montgomery thought about trying to bulk up to 290 but instead focused on building strength, just like he always had.

Montgomery's weight remains at 275, the same as what he was a year ago when he lined up wide in a 4-3. Even though he's playing head-up over the tackle in base and the guard-tackle gap in nickel, his weight hasn't been an issue.

"When you draw up a 3-4 end it doesn't look like Mike," Trgovac said. "He's one of those guys that breaks the mold. If you get teams that are trying to knock him off the ball all the time, obviously you'd like to have a little more weight. But with good technique he gets the job done."

When you ask Montgomery about what it's like to give away 40 to 50 pounds to the average tackle, he boils it down to the bare essentials.

"It doesn't depend on how much you weigh," he said. "It's really about playing my leverage and playing low."

Montgomery has done an excellent job getting off blocks against the run and using his long arms to separate from pass blockers. Hes had a fine August in the one-on-ones, frequently knocking down the hands of an offensive lineman while at the same time sinking his hips and slipping by.

As his fifth National Football League season draws near, Montgomery reflected on why he's here and all those others from his football-mad home area of east Texas aren't.

"I'd say God and me being self-motivated," he said. "At times it was just me going out there working out myself. Striving. I don't got all my goals, but I got some of them."

His mother, Rosie Kellum, played professional basketball and later coached basketball at several high schools in Texas. Montgomery didn't even play football until the family moved to Center, Texas (pop. 5,000) before his junior year.

"When I was young I always said I either wanted to go pro in football or basketball," he said. "I did it. That's one thing they can't take away from me. If times get bad or get rough, I can always say I did what I said I would do when I was little."

Experiencing immediate success on the gridiron, Montgomery admitted he had a "one-track mind" toward gaining an athletic scholarship. With his grades in disarray, he had to play two years of football (and one year of basketball) at Navarro Junior College before moving on to Texas A&M in 2003-'04.

Montgomery battled a balky right knee during portions of his first three seasons in Green Bay but has been problem-free this summer.

"He's in great shape and has good strength," strength coach Dave Redding said. "Consistent as hell. Never complains. Keeps slobbering away at it."

Montgomery makes his home in Houston these days, a far cry from Center where, for several summers, he worked for Tyson as a "primary poacher and processor." He'd put on gloves, then chase and snatch the chickens by the legs to begin the process.

Years later, he puts on gloves of a different kind, chasing quarterbacks and his dreams.

"I know they had people ahead of me," said Montgomery. "I'm a realist. But I can only do the best I can. You know, I really love the game."

Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
digsthepack
14 years ago
Unspectacular but very consistent performer. Every team needs guys like Mike Montgomery.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
Monty strikes me as a practice like Tarzan, play more like Jane type of player.

Every year about this time he shows enough to stick on the squad, but rarely on the field makes an impact. Last year is a prime example when we really needed someone to step up and all we hear opposite of Kampman were crickets for the most part.

I like having his dependability on the squad, but sooner or later he has to step up or bow to another prospect. IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
Pack, you're probably right. But he sounds like a good guy who gives 100%. I like that. If he can't improve, gets drafted over, and can't stay on the team, I wish him well.

Edit: What really bugs me is the guys that have the God given talent and are too lazy to use it. If a guy is really giving his best effort I don't believe you can slight him.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
14 years ago

Pack, you're probably right. But he sounds like a good guy who gives 100%. I like that. If he can't improve, gets drafted over, and can't stay on the team, I wish him well.

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

Oh I think he sticks again this year because we don't have great depth on the line and he is a work hard type player.

I guess what I am saying is that he isn't or shouldn't be viewed as a long term solution for the club that needs to improve the depth and quality along the defensive line.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
I've been defending Montgomery in the face of criticism on this board for about a year now. I still consider him to be a very valuable spot player and backup.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago
Great feelgood story, but come gametime "show me the beef".
So far, not much showing.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
lol. is that "show me the money!" or "Where's the beef!?"
UserPostedImage
FloridaPacker88
14 years ago
Honestly he looked better than I thought he would against Cleveland, he's really just not built to play in a 3-4 in my opinion, however he gives us an option in rotation and sub packages as well.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (3h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (14h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (14h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (20h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.