Wamzlee
14 years ago
Last night's game was amazing! This Packers team is playing with passion and smarts, and passion was something that was missing last year. I feel this team may be the real deal. Its one thing to make it look easy, its another thing to make opposing defenses look silly.

The passing was something that really worried me last night. I figured running would be our biggest weak point. The Cards dropped a lot of passes as well while our defenders were two steps behind. So far this pre-season, forcing turnovers has been bailing out the defense of what should showing as a pretty weak defense right now. This was the problem last year, and I hope it will be figured out.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago
Ok so we just loved the 1st 1/2 ... lets talk about the 2nd 1/2 and take a look at the players that are fighting for a roster spot or are just showing their stuff looking to get playing time during the season as a starter or backup.

Thompson - I paid special attention to watching everyplay; and everything this guy did. I was quite interested in seeing how he would do since the coaching staff had him as a starter at the ROLB before he got injured.

Not bad ... he got to the QB a couple times. But he also got taken down at least once.

Raji - Played a bunch of plays in the 2nd 1/2. Still did pretty well for being a DE/DT. Like his pressure.
-note- Jolly has been the best DE so far this preseason IMO

Bush - Like someone mentioned in a previous thread. Last year he pissed off alot of people by his penalties and lack of plays. So far this year he isnt doing too bad. Maybe he was worth it to keep.

Underwood - the guy looks like a twig; everytime I see him tackle Im worried hes going to break something. But he seems to do pretty good at covering guys. Seems like the staff want to take a good look at him also.
-porter and underwood are the main guys that are getting alot of action-; have a feeling underwood gets the nod (least till we see the TN game)

Wynn - Looks pretty good out on the field; think hes a bit light for our DE line but he's showing some stuff. He was on the field quite a bit and still did very well from the start of the 1/2 till the end. This guy is in.

Bishop - Had some good plays again; his phenominal performance in the other 2 games practically guarentees him a spot IMO. This guy could compete as a starter IMO.

Swain - looked good; we will see more action from the 2nd and 3rd stringers vs TN. Sounded like they will only play the 1st team a couple of sets of downs. So we should get a better look at the WRs

Martin - He still looks pretty good; I dont know if I would get rid of him for a guy like swain. So unless they go with 6 WRs ...

Brohm - didnt get much playing time. A little more poise but comparing him to the cards back-up he still doesnt look that good.

So whats your thoughts?
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I haven't seen the second half, but I really liked Wynn so far as well. If he can bulk up a little, he'll be a perfect 3-4 DE. Didn't expect too much from him when we drafted him, but he has really impressed me so far.

One more guy that isn't mentioned, LB Brad Jones. He had a very mediocre college career, but it does look like he has the tools to make it in the NFL.
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I was a little peaved with the play calling the second half, but after watching again and thinking about it, I think the coaches were trying to get film on a lot of players the second half.

Brian Brohm was 4-5 after his first or second series(can't remember), he wasn't great, but he did move the team down the field and looked more comfortable than the previous week.

IMHO you can't compare him to Matt Leinart because Leinart was a starter, and has tons more experience than Brohm.

I am hoping Flynn's injury is not serious and that The coaches just wanted to play it safe with him and get a better look at Brohm.

Looks like they need Flynn not only for backup, but for holder on field goals.

I give Ruvall credit for going in there and trying to be the holder, but the results pretty much show a kicker needs his #1 guy to take the snap.

Kickers, they are such a tempermental bunch!!!!!! :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Cheesey
14 years ago

I was a little peaved with the play calling the second half, but after watching again and thinking about it, I think the coaches were trying to get film on a lot of players the second half.

Brian Brohm was 4-5 after his first or second series(can't remember), he wasn't great, but he did move the team down the field and looked more comfortable than the previous week.

IMHO you can't compare him to Matt Leinart because Leinart was a starter, and has tons more experience than Brohm.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I agree with all you said!
Especially comparing the play of backup Leinart against Brohm. Leinart has been a starter, and should be expected to be ahead of the curve.

I like Ruvell Martin, and i hope we keep the guy. He is willing to help where ever he can. And he has talent! He can catch, and is always looking to block someone. I like that kind of attitude.

And i think Raji is just going to get better and better once he catches up with the speed of the pro game.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

I agree with all you said!
Especially comparing the play of backup Leinart against Brohm. Leinart has been a starter, and should be expected to be ahead of the curve.

I like Ruvell Martin, and i hope we keep the guy. He is willing to help where ever he can. And he has talent! He can catch, and is always looking to block someone. I like that kind of attitude.

And i think Raji is just going to get better and better once he catches up with the speed of the pro game.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Now I'mgetting a little worried.
In the past 48 hours Non-stop and cheesey have agreed with me!!!!

I'm going to have to start re-thinking my thinking!!! :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

I posted in another thread that I think this will be the year we see Ruvall break out along with the rest of the reciving corps.

I didn't remember him being an undrafted free agent.

Learning the system is hard enough for guys drafted, maybe it has taken him just a little bit longer, but I think he is here to stay for awhile.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
14 years ago
wait what happened with martin being the holder?
UserPostedImage
AJistheHawk50
14 years ago
martin was the holder because flynn was hurt. he didnt do a very good job lol. but it was appreciated by Mike McCarthy im sure.

i have extremely high expectations for raji. the way he has been playing has been at a good level. he also has only been practicing fro about a week and a half now sooooo.... that's prettty damn good.
blank
14 years ago
Martin was the 3rd string holder actually, behind Flynn and Brooks (although Brooks may not make the team).
UserPostedImage
Kingdom22
14 years ago
They gave up 27 points to the secondary offense of the ARIZONA, while our offense was just lost. Thanks to BROHM. We definitely need a Veteran QB. Here is why, we don't know which wide receiver is good unless we got a decent QB. Brohm needs to go, sorry but I am upset at the blown lead.
blank