Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

NFL looking at Favre's block

By Matt Cherry, CNN

(CNN) -- The National Football League is reviewing a controversial block made by Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre during Monday night's pre-season game with the Houston Texans, the league told CNN Radio on Tuesday.

Favre -- who signed with the Vikings on August 18 after coming out of retirement for the second time in as many years -- committed an illegal "crack-back" block to the knees of Houston defensive back Eugene Wilson in the third quarter of the game. Favre was penalized and Wilson was injured on the play. NFL spokesman Randall Liu could not say when a decision on whether Favre will be fined is expected. However, he said fine information is typically confirmed on Fridays.

"In my mind I don't think there's any issue that he will receive some sort of a fine," said attorney Bill Moran, a partner at the New York law firm of McCarter & English. Moran recently advised the New York Giants in connection with a highly publicized shooting incident involving wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

Although he believes a fine is unavoidable, attorney Moran said Favre may be able to influence how severe the penalty is.

"If he is able to demonstrate to the commissioner that he is remorseful and that it won't happen again, I think that will weigh somewhat in the amount of the fine," said Moran. After the game, Favre insisted he wasn't trying to hurt Wilson on the play. "I hope he's OK," the three-time MVP said. "Believe me, my intentions were not to be cheap."

The flap over the "crack-back" block comes at a time when Favre may not be in 100 percent physical condition. He cited his initial reluctance at coming out of retirement to a partially torn rotator cuff. Favre also told ESPN prior to Monday night's game that he might have a cracked rib.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/favre.block/index.html#ixzz0PywYKxGQ 

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

. "I hope he's OK," the three-time MVP said. "Believe me, my intentions were not to be cheap."

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

For as much as I like the guy in totality of his career.. Favre that is.. I have a hard time believing anything that comes out of his mouth these days.. his double talk on issues in the past couple years has built that distrust from me personally.

Anyway.. Formo and Dakota.. ready for a room yet? :lol:

On Allen.. he went low a number of times last year.. I think it is in his nature to get there anyway he can.. even if it takes someone out.. some call that dirty, other motivated... the answer is probably someplace in between.

But don't be surprised if someone doesn't pay his ass back someday..

Carter.. of course Carter pushed off.. but he got away with it.. much to my displeasure.. him and the no good dirty {Insert vile name here} Micheal Irvin. But this is exactly why I give no wiggle room when the Viking fans complain about Pearson's catch.. none.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wils0646
14 years ago

. "I hope he's OK," the three-time MVP said. "Believe me, my intentions were not to be cheap."

"pack93z" wrote:

For as much as I like the guy in totality of his career.. Favre that is.. I have a hard time believing anything that comes out of his mouth these days.. his double talk on issues in the past couple years has built that distrust from me personally.

On Allen.. he went low a number of times last year.. I think it is in his nature to get there anyway he can.. even if it takes someone out.. some call that dirty, other motivated... the answer is probably someplace in between.

But don't be surprised if someone doesn't pay his ass back someday..

Carter.. of course Carter pushed off.. but he got away with it.. much to my displeasure.. him and the no good dirty {Insert vile name here} Micheal Irvin. But this is exactly why I give no wiggle room when the Viking fans complain about Pearson's catch.. none.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Did you notice the full quote?

Percy was running my way, Favre said. Believe me, I hope hes OK. I hope it didnt look as bad on film as it may have seemed but my intentions, believe me, were not to hurt anyone, including myself. Percy was running my way, I was out there, theres going to be those people who say you should have done nothing. Get out of the way. But I think had I not blocked anyone and just got out of the way and Percy gets hit and gets hurt, I think that looks worse. But once again I hope hes OK. Believe me, my intentions were not to be cheap. Ill be 40 years old in October and was weeding 13 days ago. I wasnt thinking about throwing blocks.

This is what Kevin Siefert had to say about that:

I suppose this is part of the package you get with Favre. He's going to lead a textbook two-minute drill, as he did at the end of the first half Monday night. He's going to expertly find an outlet receiver against a blitz, helping his team to a 28-yard touchdown play. And then he's going to bust his chest out for a moment, draw a silly penalty and then deftly attribute it to locker room camaraderie.

Favre said no bad intentions...but he had to do it because one of his own could get hurt on a regular tackle? Did Favre realize what he was doing could end a career?
The Pack Will Be Back.
DakotaT
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

No, but he's about to join Dhazer at the bottom of the revine for our Badlands mule deer hunt. Did I tell you we have a lot of mountain lions out here lately?

I like how you two crotchy old men (dfoster) attempt to be peacemakers on one hand and feed the fire with the other. No wonder the younger generations are confused. Until tomorrow boys...
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago

[quote="Nonstopdrivel"]But don't be surprised if someone doesn't pay his ass back someday..

"pack93z" wrote:

[youtube]oB8wZWkeztk[/youtube]
Born and bred a cheesehead
LambeauEast
14 years ago

Percy was running my way, Favre said. Believe me, I hope hes OK. I hope it didnt look as bad on film as it may have seemed but my intentions, believe me, were not to hurt anyone, including myself. Percy was running my way, I was out there, theres going to be those people who say you should have done nothing. Get out of the way. But I think had I not blocked anyone and just got out of the way and Percy gets hit and gets hurt, I think that looks worse. But once again I hope hes OK. Believe me, my intentions were not to be cheap. Ill be 40 years old in October and was weeding 13 days ago. I wasnt thinking about throwing blocks.

This is why Favre is a joke! The part I bolded really stuck out to me...no, douche, I don't think anyone would not want you to throw a block on a Wildcat play coming your way, we've all seen you throw blocks for many years, so it's definitely not your first rodeo.

But in his warped little mind, him possibly ending someone's career wouldn't look as bad as his team mate getting tackled legally?!?! Hmmmm, I say...HMMMMM! Poor lil Brett, only thirteen days ago he was weeding on his farm, and now he's got to block people...awwwww! A JOKE I tell ya...a lame ass fucking JOKE! Him becoming a Queen is going to be the best thing that ever happened to the Packers!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
On the point of "pushing off".....Randy Moss is the KING of that. He did it almost every play when he was a Viking. Got away with it 99% of the time, too.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

"DakotaT" wrote:

No, but he's about to join Dhazer at the bottom of the revine for our Badlands mule deer hunt. Did I tell you we have a lot of mountain lions out here lately?

I like how you two crotchy old men (dfoster) attempt to be peacemakers on one hand and feed the fire with the other. No wonder the younger generations are confused. Until tomorrow boys...

"pack93z" wrote:

This was discussed in another thread (the rumor one about Smith).

For some clarification to some of our newer members, this is what I said in that thread, and of course I speak for myself, other staff can put their perspective in if they so choose.

We are quite liberal in the moderation of this forum. We do not utilize a word filter, or rarely censor profanity if it is felt that the author is using it in an artistic and or illustrative way. Sometimes we do not censor commentary that is personal in nature, if we feel that the parties involved know each other well enough to work it out, etc.

This can confuse folks, but is a price we pay to keep the forum full of personality.

All that being said, kindly cease any further personal attacks against one another on this thread...shoe fits wear it, etc. Everybody got their shot in, for those keeping score.

...which brings us back to this thread. Notice what DID NOT happen here. No one told anyone to cease and desist. No one edited. No one moved the thread. We happen to know that you two "know" one another, and watched (and read) you two with your "Festivus" (The airing of the grievances) exchange.

This always creates confusion for other members that do not know one another (or we don't know if they know--see how confusing? lol)

Long story short, BOTH of you snotnoses can below us. (That is meant in humor.)

...which is a nice way to say that the personal shit is done between you two, right? (You pushed pretty hard in this one Jeremy/Formo)
DakotaT
14 years ago

"dfosterf" wrote:

"DakotaT" wrote:

This was discussed in another thread (the rumor one about Smith).

For some clarification to some of our newer members, this is what I said in that thread, and of course I speak for myself, other staff can put their perspective in if they so choose.

We are quite liberal in the moderation of this forum. We do not utilize a word filter, or rarely censor profanity if it is felt that the author is using it in an artistic and or illustrative way. Sometimes we do not censor commentary that is personal in nature, if we feel that the parties involved know each other well enough to work it out, etc.

This can confuse folks, but is a price we pay to keep the forum full of personality.

All that being said, kindly cease any further personal attacks against one another on this thread...shoe fits wear it, etc. Everybody got their shot in, for those keeping score.

"pack93z" wrote:

...which brings us back to this thread. Notice what DID NOT happen here. No one told anyone to cease and desist. No one edited. No one moved the thread. We happen to know that you two "know" one another, and watched (and read) you two with your "Festivus" (The airing of the grievances) exchange.

This always creates confusion for other members that do not know one another (or we don't know if they know--see how confusing? lol)

Long story short, BOTH of you snotnoses can below us. (That is meant in humor.)

...which is a nice way to say that the personal shit is done between you two, right? (You pushed pretty hard in this one Jeremy/Formo)

I'll say some prayers tonight for the forum because when you use my dumb ass as an example of protocal, we are all doomed.

93 will regrow the leg before I ever below you! :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
lol @ Favre thinking it looks worse to let a guy get tackled normally like players do on every single play than it does to dive at a guys knees who isn't looking.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.