porky88
14 years ago
It's one thing to play devils advocate, but this is just being to picky. This is just looking for perfection. I was more encouraged by what the Pakcers defense did to Arizona than what they did to Buffalo or Cleveland. Green Bay's defense has been forcing turnovers all preseason long. Its' not just a one game fluke. It's very likely that this defense is going to force a lot of turnovers this year especially since they've barely scratched the surface on the type of looks they showed.

That is not flaw. That is a positive. Saying that they could have scored two touchdowns or what is just speculation. They could have punted too. They could have went for it and not got the first down. They could have missed a field goal.

If you're expecting a top five defense and perhaps you are as some people probably are now, you'll be disappointed. I think they'll finish in the top ten in turnovers this year and in the 10-15 range in points and 15-20 range in yards.

That type of defense + the current offense is going to win a lot of games. If the defense improves as the year goes on, it could be a pretty good when the games become even more crucial.

Look at the drive chart. The defense held them to a field goal. It was 38-10 at half time.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gamecenter/drivecharts/NFL_20090828_GB@ARI 
bboystyle
14 years ago
Even if we rule out the turnovers, those INT's turn into broken up passes and fumbles turn into sacks for lost yards which will still result to the other team punting eventually...So your logic of thinking "we cant force punts we only cause turnovers" is flawed...name one D who wants to allow the other team punt the ball and put the O in bad position...good luck on finding one!
Greg C.
14 years ago
To say that the defense didn't play very well except for the turnovers is like saying that "Bullit" would not have been a very good movie without the car chase. Well, it DID have a car chase, and it was amazing, and that's what made it a great movie.

My only big concern about the defense in the Cardinals game was that there were huge holes in the zone coverage in the middle of the field. Hopefully that problem is fixable. I know they had some headset problems that may have contributed to it.

I do think that there is a lot that we don't know about this defense, however. There could very well be weaknesses that other teams have not exploited because there is not much game-planning in the preseason. But so far there is not much about their performance on the field that I have a problem with.
blank
Porforis
14 years ago
As for the 2nd drive scoring, not sure what to tell you. That link does say that the second drive resulted in a touchdown, however the same website shows that that scoring drive took place in the second quarter (see overview of the quarter on GameCenter page, as well as scoring summary). The same can be said for the official playbook... The scoring summary says that the FG was on their second possession, but the play by play doesn't.
http://packers.com/images/gamebooks/090828gamebook.pdf 

My guess is that someone at the NFL messed up, they very well could have kicked that FG in the first quarter, it's just that the first two sources I looked at said they didn't.

Well, I don't think I'm going to convince anybody that there's the potential for massive problems (~25th ranked defense) with a few not-so-major bumps in the road. I never said that I expected the Packers to be a top 5 defense, never give up big plays or big drives, or not continue to get turnovers. I realize that I'm playing the what-if game... As soon as you change one play, the entire rest of the game changes. I understand this. I just don't want this team to be the Brewers and to see people expecting grand things, and then things fall apart once people start under-performing or performing at a career-normal level. I guess we'll see, I'd much rather be wrong than right here.
Tezzy
14 years ago
This argument seems to be able to be made on the other side of the ball as well. If DRC hadn't screwed up his assignment on Nelson, we would have punted that drive. Can't make that assumption. Though I do like the possession by possession breakdown. I think I heard a couple commentators talk about risk-reward for other teams running the 3-4, and it comes down to pressure from the front 7. We risk ourselves by potentially taking our D out of one match-up to focus and exploit a different match-up.

I don't understand the part of about not getting pumped up like for the Brewers season. If you weren't pumped up while your team is doing well, then why be a fan at all. I'm going to be pumped and optimistic from the onset until proven otherwise. I think if you don't approach it that way then you must have been a Lions fan in your previous life. j/k 🙂 And thank you for at least acknowledging you'd rather be wrong than right in your argument 🙂
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Porforis
14 years ago

This argument seems to be able to be made on the other side of the ball as well. If DRC hadn't screwed up his assignment on Nelson, we would have punted that drive.

Of course. Again, I acknowledge how *****y "what-ifs" are, I just can't think of another way to try to get my point across. I wasn't even thinking about that when I was watching the game and seeing the secondary get shredded, linebackers being pushed around on runs... That's my concern. The way I see it, you can count on at most 3 of 4 of these things at any given time... Pressure on the quarterback, solid run blocking, solid pass coverage, turnovers. I think we only accomplished two and got a C- or worse at two more.

Again, I hope the Cardinals end up being the best offense in the league and we cruise to the division title, but what's wrong about pointing at a problem (pass coverage,giving up lots of long runs) and wanting/expecting improvement? I think I went about doing so in the wrong way, but it seemed the best way to make my point at the time.

As for the Brewers...
Hey, I dished out money for MLB.tv since I live out of market, desperately tried to find a vacation day to use on Miller Park... I was as pumped up as anybody about the season, once starting pitching stopped super-performing (I forget who started the trend, was it Soup or Parra?), I was still confident about getting to the postseason, I figured that by the trade deadline we'd reinforce starting pitching by getting a #3 or 4 pitcher... We didn't exactly do anything. I was still watching every game a few weeks after we got Lopez, then I started losing the faith. Only look at the scores nowadays.

What we did do was too little, too late. And I never did get why people were so gung-ho about Looper... Wins are awesome, but look what happened when his bats started performing at a normal level for him.
Tezzy
14 years ago

As for the Brewers...
Hey, I dished out money for MLB.tv since I live out of market, desperately tried to find a vacation day to use on Miller Park... I was as pumped up as anybody about the season, once starting pitching stopped super-performing (I forget who started the trend, was it Soup or Parra?), I was still confident about getting to the postseason, I figured that by the trade deadline we'd reinforce starting pitching by getting a #3 or 4 pitcher... We didn't exactly do anything. I was still watching every game a few weeks after we got Lopez, then I started losing the faith. Only look at the scores nowadays.

What we did do was too little, too late. And I never did get why people were so gung-ho about Looper... Wins are awesome, but look what happened when his bats started performing at a normal level for him.

"DKF295" wrote:

We'll need to start another thread on the Brewers. I'm still so p.o'd about this season. I better wait till October when i can rip on the Cubs and White Sucks having the same length of off-season as the Brewers.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Porforis
14 years ago

As for the Brewers...

"Tezzy" wrote:

Heh... I had a bet going on with my girlfriend's roommate (a CUBS fan) about this season. If the Brewers end the season with a better record, she has to cheer for the Brewers next season, and vice versa... I've still got a lot riding on this season. The even funnier part of this is that HER boyfriend is a Cardinals fan. I can only imagine her embarrassment...

But yeah, make a thread about that. I'm at work and need to stop slacking between calls. Even if I'm working on my day off. I'll check in this evening.

We'll need to start another thread on the Brewers. I'm still so p.o'd about this season. I better wait till October when i can rip on the Cubs and White Sucks having the same length of off-season as the Brewers.

"DKF295" wrote:

14 years ago
also, you have to realize that forcing turnovers is one of the points of this type of defense. so yes...it *is* actually something we can be counting/depending on.

also, off-topic: wtf is with you 'tards and the inability to use the quote function properly?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Cheesey
14 years ago
It's funny......he is saying the same thing i thought about, but didn't post.
You can't depend on turnovers. And the Cards were moving the ball too well against us.
Turnovers are great, but they won't come as often as they did so far.

Good points DKF.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (19h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (20h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (22h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.