14 years ago
wow. you're not even debating with me...you're just saying the opposite thing i said right after i said it. you didn't actually read the whole thread before you posted, did you, Cheesy?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
There is always room for concern, about both the offense and Defense.

I have seen some missed tackles, and coverages that haven't worked the best. There is always room for improvement.

As for overall performance, I think the D should easily make it into the upper 1/2 in the league. Which should be more than enough to get the team into the playoff hunt.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
warhawk
14 years ago

This argument seems to be able to be made on the other side of the ball as well. If DRC hadn't screwed up his assignment on Nelson, we would have punted that drive. Can't make that assumption. Though I do like the possession by possession breakdown. I think I heard a couple commentators talk about risk-reward for other teams running the 3-4, and it comes down to pressure from the front 7. We risk ourselves by potentially taking our D out of one match-up to focus and exploit a different match-up.

I don't understand the part of about not getting pumped up like for the Brewers season. If you weren't pumped up while your team is doing well, then why be a fan at all. I'm going to be pumped and optimistic from the onset until proven otherwise. I think if you don't approach it that way then you must have been a Lions fan in your previous life. j/k 🙂 And thank you for at least acknowledging you'd rather be wrong than right in your argument =)

"Tezzy" wrote:

What this defense will do is create turnovers and be very sticky in the redzone.

You don't get it both ways. When you run blitz packages you will give up some plays but you will end up with the ball more often as well.

All I know is you win when you win the turnover battle and the way our offense is playing and the pressure coming on defense that stat leans heavily in our favor.

I think it will be very difficult for teams to put up 7 in the redzone. I think our stats will be very positive in that regard. With the kind of pressure our offense will provide by putting a lot of points on the board I can see where teams will have to press and try to catch up falling right into the turnover trap we want.

The nemisis will be allowing a big play from time to time but the way our ofense can put points up it takes the pressure off and will allow the defense to keep after it.
"The train is leaving the station."
mi_keys
14 years ago
One thing I'd like to point out is that with the exception of Smith, our secondary pretty much have a month of experience running these zone coverages. There are going to be more blown assignments in coverage now than a couple months from now, a lot more.

Also, on the two drives they scored they had to convert on a 3rd and 9 and a 3rd and 10. When that coverage becomes a little more consistent we're going to be likely to get off the field on those plays. So by the what if game we were just as close to shutting them out.
Born and bred a cheesehead
14 years ago
another thing to remember is that even with our 1st team D out there in these games...we were STILL keeping certain people on the bench. if everybody's ready to go, we'll be even better than we looked (in theory at least).

bozz_2006 wrote:

warhawk
14 years ago

another thing to remember is that even with our 1st team D out there in these games...we were STILL keeping certain people on the bench. if everybody's ready to go, we'll be even better than we looked (in theory at least).

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

Add to that the other inch and a half of Capers playbook nobody has seen yet.
14 years ago

Add to that the other inch and a half of Capers playbook nobody has seen yet.

"warhawk" wrote:

every time somebody mentions this my wiener feels weird (in a good way).

bozz_2006 wrote:

Pack93z
14 years ago
Concerns about the defense... yes... fear not so much with the intensity they have shown.. no fourth quarter collapsing for this defense.. and no coming out flat.

Concern # 1... Edge rush defense.. Kampy against the Cards was twice handled well by the TE.. IMO, he is still adjusting to engaging a blocker from the up stance.. lost the leverage war. On the other side.. Poppinga got buried inside a couple of times. Thompson looked stiff and very out of place.. Jones was up and down.. Obi has a long ways to go.. but I think he is a PS player.

Concern #2.. we were exposed time and time again Friday night on the middle of the field 10 plus yards deep... 1st, 2nd.. didn't matter it appears the Cards found a hole in the coverage and exposed it.. albeit a preseason game but we weren't able to adjust and close it off..

Concern # 3... with Rouse down... I am concerned with our depth at safety.. Bigby hasn't turned it on yet, so that leaves Collins and Smith.. Collins always seems to be nicked up.. that puts pressure on Bush and Preprah... neither have shown a ton.. Either the Packers go shopping the wire or they keep an extra CB or two to allow them to add a little depth here.

Concern #4 ... the communication in the secondary.. albeit preseason.. there have been a couple of minor gaffes in the coverage exchanges..

I think we have played pretty solid ball in the middle of this defense and I am liking what I see in the corner play of the big three and Underwood.. don't forget Lee if he can hit the field.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
14 years ago
When I read some of these posts I get the urge at times to remind some here that the Packers are, after all, playing against NFL football teams working very hard in their own right to do good things.

Our guys are not going to win every battle and the other team has enough talent to make some plays too ya know.

Is it not a work in progress? I am elated that the starting point, where they are now going into the regular season, far exceeds where I would have thought they would be going in.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

we weren't able to adjust and close it off..

"pack93z" wrote:

Someone raised the possibility that they did not in fact try to close it off but were simply trying out various packages for preseason purposes. I tend to concur with that notion.

Also, warhawk pointed out something I've been wanting to mention, but felt it goes without saying: No matter how good our defense is, it's not going to win every play. I think their performance needs to be measured more in terms of the entire game and season than individual plays. I couldn't care less if our defense gives up "big plays" between the 20s if they keep the opposing offense out of the end zone.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (10h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.