Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Another mention of the formation:

Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2008

Georgia: Moreno in Heisman race? 
Georgias tailback could get an invitation to New York

By: David Paschall

ATHENS, Ga. Texas junior quarterback Colt McCoy has completed 81.8 percent of his passes for the nations top-ranked team and could be hard to beat for this years Heisman Trophy.

Georgia sophomore tailback Knowshon Moreno disappeared from the Heisman hunt following the Sept. 27 loss to Alabama but may have worked himself back in the picture after rushing for 335 yards the past two games. Moreno gained 172 yards against Vanderbilt on Oct. 18 and 163 last Saturday at LSU, and he heads into this weeks game against Florida with 925 yards and 12 touchdowns.

I think Im seeing things a little better now, and the game has kind of slowed down, Moreno said. I still feel like Im learning and maturing.

Moreno isnt one to discuss the Heisman race, but maintaining his recent stretch could result in him becoming just the fourth player in Georgia history to be invited to New Yorks Downtown Athletic Club for the ceremony. Halfback Frank Sinkwich was invited in 1942 as the award winner, as was tailback Herschel Walker in 1982. That was the first year multiple finalists were invited.

Tailback Garrison Hearst was invited in 1992, when he finished third in the balloting.

Any time you have someone who has a chance to be in the running for the greatest individual player, you take pride in that, fullback Brannan Southerland said. If Knowshon was to get invited, that would be a reflection on our offense and the blocking of our O-line, tight ends and everybody.

Said receiver Kenneth Harris: We all know its in the back of our mind, and as a receiver you want to block downfield as much as you can so he can get invited to New York. He has the clips for the Heisman Trophy. I hope he gets invited.

Left tackle Clint Boling said there was a play against LSU in which the line didnt get the check off in time, so half went one way and half the other. Moreno still managed 4 or 5 yards on the play, Boling pointed out.

If he can do that without anybody blocking for him, thats pretty good, Boling said. Blocking for him is easy, because he does a lot of it himself. We just try to help him out a little bit.

Those days are over

Georgia coach Mark Richt answered several questions Tuesday concerning Florida, but one he didnt have to hear was his inability to beat the Gators. Richt is only 2-5 in this series, yet last seasons 42-30 win resulted in a split of the past four meetings.

Florida has really done such a fantastic job in the last 15 to 20 years, but the last few have been pretty even, he said. When you look at the entire series, Georgia still has a pretty good lead there.

The Bulldogs lead the series 47-37-2 according to Georgia records and 46-37-2 according to Florida records. The Gators recognize the series starting in 1915 and do not include a 52-0 loss at Macon in 1904.

Pheta Beta backfield

Third-string fullback Fred Munzenmaier scored his first touchdown this season on a 1-yard run last Saturday at LSU. The short-yardage formation included Georgias top two fullbacks, Southerland and Shaun Chapas.

We talk about it all the time, Munzenmaier said of the three-fullback set. We say were a fullback fraternity, the Pheta Betas. We call it the Pheta Beta backfield, and its kind of fun to do that and all be in there at the same time.

Odds and ends

Georgia and Florida rank 1-2 in the SEC for the best records during the past decade, with the Bulldogs 104-31 (.770) and the Gators 99-35 (.739). ... Sophomore middle linebacker Darryl Gamble said he has seven pictures from the LSU game, in which he returned two interceptions for touchdowns, and is deciding which one he wants framed. ... Gamble was named Tuesday as the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week. ... Junior cornerback Bryan Evans is now playing more at backup free safety behind Reshad Jones. ... Defensive coordinator Willie Martinez said senior middle linebacker Dannell Ellerbe (knee) looked good at Tuesdays practice and should play Saturday.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Apparently the three-fullback set is not ideal for punt formations :

The coverage teams for the Cougars were outstanding all day, as only five yards were garnered on returns. The return teams were solid, if unspectacular, but with an offense so potent, field position is what matters and that was certainly a plus for the Blue-and-White. The blocked punt stands out as the significant black mark. The three-fullback set not only takes away two potential coverage people, but it also creates gaps in the front line making, it easier for rushers to come through untouched and if not block the punt, certainly bother the punter. In addition, the punter becomes distracted with three bodies in front of him, concerned that he may kick one in the butt. This needs to be rectified as it was also an issue in '05.

UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago

Is it theoretically possible to have all three FBs on the field at the same time?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

okay my bad... when you asked my mind when to an offense set with 3 FBs and a RB. I just kind of saw that as too many FBs because they aren't great in the passing game and I think you need two WRs/TEs... to keep the QB part import.... if you only have one WR or TE then you might as well take out the QB and have a RB or someone else take a direct snap IMO.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
The reason why I asked is because you mentioned taking out all receivers, so that virtually eliminates any passing possibilities anyway, other than play action to the TE (or a back), I suppose. But sure, you could have one of the backs take a direct snap. It would certainly be a formation people hadn't seen much of, and with everyone bunched toward the center of the field, I would imagine huge holes would be open on either end of the line of scrimmage. It seems to me that with all those blockers, you could effectively seal off the perimeter.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

Special Teams

"pack93z" wrote:

;)

http://www.packershome.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=posting&mode=quote&p=87234 

FB (Keeping Hall and Kuhn both is a special teams consideration)

Korey Hall
John Kuhn (Can fill in the short yardage bruiser back role of Wynn, remember he was a HB at one time)
Quinn Johnson

"porky88" wrote:

"Pack93z" wrote:

Good call, but you never know a trade could be in the works. I wouldn't be shocked to see something happen eventually. If a FB goes down, some team might come calling.

As far as this three fullbacks on the field at the sametime. It seems unlikely the Packers would suite up three fullbacks for their gameday roster. My guess is pending the gameplan, two will be used at the most and maybe only one when they play a team like Minnesota.

The Packers clearly wanted to protect Quinn Johnson because of his upside and couldn't part ways with Kuhn and Hall because of special teams like pack said. In fact the entire roster was pretty much built around special teams. The bubble players that is. Players who couldn't contribute there had a tough time cracking the 53. Ruvell Martin and Anthony Smith are two great examples.
Dulak
14 years ago
I like the fact we kept all 3 FBs - create some kind of bruiser running game and rodgers gets more coverage.

If martin turns out to be a great safety I'll like the cuts. I really didnt want to lose khun - he showed his stuff in preseason with the ST work and blocking/running.
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
I would love to see them hand the ball off to Quinn Johnson. I bet he would be a better short yardage back than Kuhn. (As long as he doesn't fumble.)
UserPostedImage
kobe16
14 years ago
Yeah quinn johnson was a big bulldozer at LSU. i would lo see him get the ball also.
UserPostedImage
millertime
14 years ago

Good point.

Another reason:

Hall can play an emergency TE role, Kuhn operates as a short yardage back.

(And both ST studs).

I wouldnt be surprised to be Havner cut with these guys sticking.

"British" wrote:

Our special teams sucks.

I don't think you could call any of those guys studs.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Good point.

Another reason:

Hall can play an emergency TE role, Kuhn operates as a short yardage back.

(And both ST studs).

I wouldnt be surprised to be Havner cut with these guys sticking.

"millertime" wrote:

Our special teams sucks.

I don't think you could call any of those guys studs.

"British" wrote:

I don't know. Hall and Kuhn where bright spots. So was Bush. You can call them studs, just as much as you can call Woodson and Collins studs on a horrible 2008 defense.

Anyway, I agree. I think that one use for keeping these 3 FBs is to use a couple of run heavy packages. Just look at last year. Grant went something around 4.1-4.4 YPC with a FB in there and 2.9 without. We nearly didn't use the wishbone formation, out of which he ran pretty effectively in 2007.

As from what I've seen, all of our fullbacks have different strengths, which really helps our offense to be versatile. Even with a FB or two in the line-up. Johnson and Kuhn are great blockers. Kuhn can pound the rock on short yardage. Hall is a pretty decent receiver. Johnson is just brutal and should get us quite a few pancakes and running lanes.

I really thought that Kuhn would be the odd man out here. I like what they're doing, though. Little old-school.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (9h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (15h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.