Greg C.
14 years ago

Hell, I thought the Packers played a phenomenal game out there. SO many improvements from last season, I was impressed.

Mr. "Pro Bowl QB," Cutler was absolutely lost and confused all night long. And I don't think he played all that much better in the 2nd half either, the bears were just being a lot more conservative. 22 attempts in the 1st half - like 10 in the 2nd. And only like 2 out of those 10 of those passes went more than 10 yards in the air. And sure enough, one pass - one interception once the bears needed to move down field quickly. Our D hasn't looked this good in a very long time.

And lets face it, if our offense played as bad as they did today last year, there's no way in hell we would have had a shot at winning. I mean we had trouble stopping the LIONS last year. We couldn't stop anybody! What a huge, huge, huge, difference Mr. Capers has made!

And remember, our offense was going up against the stingy Bears D. No easy task for any team. I mean, the bears are team who won virtually all of their games last year on scum points. You know, scum points...defensive touchdowns, safeties, kick returns, blocked field goals as time expires to send the game into ot....you know, virtually anything that doesn't have to do with offense. Our offense proved they are at least capable of being great in the preseason...

And hey! Our offense came through in the end! That certainly never happened last year! Last year we would have tried to run out the clock and give super kicker a shot at a 55 yard miracle game winner. But wow, what a play call on the play action! Executed beautify.

Our special teams didn't look so bad either after finishing dead last in kick returns a season ago.

So say want you want about what negatives there were, I think most of the bad things said here can be fixed with some minor adjustments, I saw a solid performance in the areas that count toward a consistent, successful season. =)

"gopackgo212" wrote:

Great post, especially about how the offense came through in the end. When the game is on the line, I like Rodgers-Jennings a heck of a lot better than Mason Crosby.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago
First off this was one of those brutal knock-em dead type of games. Where the D's of both teams really played havoc on each others offense.

I am going to get right to the point:

1. The ref calling this game was VERY poor, And to be honest I wondered if the refs were chicago biased. There were at least 3 main plays that took the game in chicago's favor and almost nearly cost us the game.

a. How many times did rodgers get late hits on him? I know I saw one for sure and I bet there were many more. This wasnt just a bump at the end of the play these were smash hard hits to the ground (and I did not see us do that to cutler).

b. When grant had the 12+ yard run and they called was it sitton for holding. That was real sketchy (especially when you combine the fact chicago wasnt getting called for things).

c. and of course last but not least our 2nd illegal contact call. This call again nearly cost us the game. Would of gone from 3rd and out to 1st and 10 to a big hester play for what was it 60 yards and then almost a TD. This was the biggest F up.

IMO all 3 of these either calls or non calls gave chicago a huge advantage. And personally I didnt like the seeminly bias or just poor play calling from the refs.

2. Combine A. from above and a left end that made barbre his you know what. Impacted rodgers in a big way. Rodgers got quite jumpy and didnt have the precision on his passes as he usually does.
IMO barbre and giocommini (spelling) both need to be in the game and if one guy cant cut it get the other in there to still have competition going. This was really bad how many times rodgers got sacked, hurried or tackled after the throw.

Barbe needs to get this down.

3. I admit chicago had a pretty nice D; IMO thou everyone but barbre did pretty well with their assignments (cept for that one play where rodgers called out the rusher and noone picked him up).

4. Nonstop had this to say and I totally agree with it. Why is it during preseason we effectively run the outside and do very well (if you remember in preseason 1 game grant TD scored on one side and the other he did the other on a wide run route).

And in this chicago game with stout guys up the middle; Mike McCarthy decides to run no-cut-back grant right up the middle for -3 to 3 yard gains over and over again and on downs 1 and 2 and then he decides to pass and 3rd and long and wonder why we cant convert.

Now dont get me wrong I dont consider grant our best back ... but ok so Mike McCarthy does. 2 of his best plays were on the outside (one got called back).

Here is the thing its not like running the ball up the middle opened up the passing game because Mike McCarthy wasnt passing much and it wasnt like it opened the outside because you dont run 20 plays up the middle to run 2 plays on the outside.

I want the Mike McCarthy play calling from the preseason and not this conservative stuff I saw last nite.

5. I got to say we did effectively stop the run this game. Nice job on using the 3-4 to do this. Only problem I saw is when we would commit Lbers or safetys/CBs to blitz and we couldnt pick up the man. Forte was pretty much a non factor thou.

6. Jenkins and Jolly - The double J's get the MVP IMO. Wow nice job. Im glad we got jenkins back and jolly sure is shining.

7. Problem with all this blitzing is it leaves us with more zone coverage and guys wide open (which there was alot of) and it appears missed coverage for our CBs. I dont remember seeing harris or woodson getting beat so much last year when they did man to man.

8. to go along with the above. 4 INT for us ... what more is there to say.

This pretty much covers it.

I'm glad we won; but I hope it was an eye opener for our team. From the play calling to barbre to our coverage in the secondary.

Only thing I got to say is: I wouldnt want to be that chicago bears long snapper that potentially cost them the game.

Chicago vs the Pack and keeping it real

-edit- I got to say the last offense play of the game was the best. This is why the pack got all these rave reviews preseason. Fake rush short yardage conversion; rodgers sits back in pocket passes to g jennings ... TD

Score and we win.
olds70supreme
14 years ago
A few morning after thoughts:

-While Woodson missed a few tackles I did not feel he was getting burned in coverage. It looked to me like he was playing a zone and that Hester left his zone both plays. On one I saw Collins fall down, and on the other it looked like Collins was daydreaming and got burned.

-To explain my comment on Jennings falling down: The Barelys had no timeouts left and the score gave their special teams and offense a chance to win. If Jennings had stopped at the one yard line, we would have been able to kneel the ball, run off the clock, and have an extra point style field goal as time ran out to win the game. You can't blame Jennings for what he did (and I am certainly not, don't get me wrong) and I am happy with the final outcome. But, if Chicago had returned the kickoff or their offense had scored we would have been in bad shape. I am not claiming this idea as my own, I watched it happen last year. I don't remember who it was, but a running back broke through the line and had an easy touchdown in the final minute, but he slid down at the two yard line to guarantee the victory for his team rather than give the other team the ball back.

-If Crosby hadn't missed the first field goal the game may have been very different.

-Kapinos (sp?) had some very nice punts until the short one at the end (that he had to re-kick due to a penalty).

-Did anybody else notice the ball hawking on the defense? Every play had a gang tackle, with one or two guys trying to strip the ball. That is awesome! It also hopefully gives more dangerous runners (A.P.) something to think about other than making a cut or a move and busting a big one.
blank
Grabacr
14 years ago
Also...no lambeau leap by jennings....poor show
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

I want the Mike McCarthy play calling from the preseason and not this conservative stuff I saw last nite.

"Dulak" wrote:

This deserves a +1. I don't understand why Mike McCarthy is so bi-polar and so easily cowed.

I don't remember who it was, but a running back broke through the line and had an easy touchdown in the final minute, but he slid down at the two yard line to guarantee the victory for his team rather than give the other team the ball back.

"olds70supreme" wrote:

It was a running back for the Chargers, so either Tomlinson or Sproles.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

-1 for this comment.

There's a different between preseason and regular season games.

McCarthy is calling the same plays he did durign preseason. The difference is in preseason you do little game planning, in regular season it's all about game planning. Another thing failed to be acknowledged with that is Rodgers was pressured consistently and made some poor throws. During the preseason Rodgers had the time to make any throw he wanted.

So, to say that the play calling is different, indicates to me that you're taking the result of the play instead of the actual play that was being called. I seen a lot of the similar plays, but with failed execution and failed for reasons I mentioned.

PS, not going to -1 just more so counter to nonstopthesauraus 🙂
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I apologize. The play was not by a Chargers running back. It was by Brian Westbrook in 2007.

In a 2007 game against the Dallas Cowboys, Runyan instructed Eagles running back Brian Westbrook to take a knee at the one-yard-line rather than score a touchdown with two minutes left in the game so that Dallas would not get the ball back. Westbrook followed Runyan's suggestion, the play worked, and Philadelphia won the game

"Wikipedia" wrote:

A 2008 poll revealed that getting blocked by Jon Runyan on a screen pass was one of the scariest things in the NFL.

"Wikipedia" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I bet a lot of fantasy teams were ready to punch westrbook in the nuts lol

Incredibly unselfish and heads up play!
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

A few morning after thoughts:

-While Woodson missed a few tackles I did not feel he was getting burned in coverage. It looked to me like he was playing a zone and that Hester left his zone both plays. On one I saw Collins fall down, and on the other it looked like Collins was daydreaming and got burned.

-To explain my comment on Jennings falling down: The Barelys had no timeouts left and the score gave their special teams and offense a chance to win. If Jennings had stopped at the one yard line, we would have been able to kneel the ball, run off the clock, and have an extra point style field goal as time ran out to win the game. You can't blame Jennings for what he did (and I am certainly not, don't get me wrong) and I am happy with the final outcome. But, if Chicago had returned the kickoff or their offense had scored we would have been in bad shape. I am not claiming this idea as my own, I watched it happen last year. I don't remember who it was, but a running back broke through the line and had an easy touchdown in the final minute, but he slid down at the two yard line to guarantee the victory for his team rather than give the other team the ball back.

-If Crosby hadn't missed the first field goal the game may have been very different.

-Kapinos (sp?) had some very nice punts until the short one at the end (that he had to re-kick due to a penalty).

-Did anybody else notice the ball hawking on the defense? Every play had a gang tackle, with one or two guys trying to strip the ball. That is awesome! It also hopefully gives more dangerous runners (A.P.) something to think about other than making a cut or a move and busting a big one.

"olds70supreme" wrote:

Interesting comments -

I know what you are talking about the jennings falling down thing.

1. Im glad jennings went for the TD; this = guarentee points and he got in there. Who knows what would of happened if he didnt and who knows what 'call' a ref might pull.

As far as woodson and collins - you could be right about your analysis; I was basing my info off the stream and its a little hard to see things at times. I heard collins was way dehydrated and suffer cramps etc ...

I need to rewatch this game.

not sure I can watch rodgers get sacked again so many times and a safety thou; reminded me of the Min game last year where they beat him with a stick.
Dulak
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

-1 for this comment.

There's a different between preseason and regular season games.

McCarthy is calling the same plays he did durign preseason. The difference is in preseason you do little game planning, in regular season it's all about game planning. Another thing failed to be acknowledged with that is Rodgers was pressured consistently and made some poor throws. During the preseason Rodgers had the time to make any throw he wanted.

So, to say that the play calling is different, indicates to me that you're taking the result of the play instead of the actual play that was being called. I seen a lot of the similar plays, but with failed execution and failed for reasons I mentioned.

PS, not going to -1 just more so counter to nonstopthesauraus :)

"Dulak" wrote:

I dont know I seem to remember alot more passes being thrown; weather they were short or long. And I remember alot more runs to the outside - ie the 2 I mentioned were ones that worked perfectly for TD scores (remember the one grant said he had the easiest TD he ever had (just walked in)).

For me when a run play gets -3 to 3 yards per carry its time to try something different; and we really didnt hit the outside till late and only did it a few times.

I do agree rodgers was getting pressured big time. Hopefully they can work on this.

Its funny a big post like I made about the game and you would think I would get a +1 instead of a -1 lol ...

reminded me of this weekend; was talking to this girl I say something to her friend which I was trying to be nice; she takes it as rude and they walk off.
C'est la Vie ...