alharrisdude31
14 years ago
charles woodson you overlooked, he was a great player but i do admit he doesnt have the speed he needs, but hes older- and hes done enough for the packers
Rios39
14 years ago

"C"

Statistically GB got out played in nearly every category yet still won the game.
The offensive could not consistently convert the turnovers into points.
226 total yards (150 yards passing) is poor to say the least. Yes the Bears have a tough defense but still. poor outing overall. Toomnay dropped passes.

Defense, while getting 4 TO's still gave up a lot of yards. (352) The front 7 did a solid job but there were problems in the secondary. Missed assignments. Poor tackling, bad pursuit angles. receivers left wide open.
Tough game. escaped with the W. move on to the next game.

Team Stat Comparison
 	Chicago 	GB
1st Downs	18	12
Passing 1st downs
	12	8
Rushing 1st downs
	4	4
1st downs from Penalties
	2	0
3rd down efficiency
	4-15	4-14
4th down efficiency
	1-3	0-0
Total Plays	69	54
Total Yards	352	226
Passing	266	150
Comp-Att
	17-36	17-28
Yards per pass
	7.4	5.4
Rushing	86	76
Rushing Attempts
	31	22
Yards per rush
	2.8	3.5
Red Zone (Made-Att)	0-3	1-2
Penalties	3-25	6-45
Turnovers	4	0
Fumbles lost
	0	0
Interceptions thrown
	4	0
Defensive / Special Teams TDs	0	0
Possession	33:03	26:57

"wpr" wrote:

I think saying the D was only average is a bit absurd. The secondary had 4 turn overs. In a 3-4 you are going to give up some big plays, it's just how it is. Baltimore will do it, Pittsburgh. Any decent QB will hit some plays.

Having said that though the D completely killed the Bears run game. Which was a HUGE problem last year. How many stuffs did we have? I'm thinking a ton.

The 2 big plays was on one where Collins slipped, another one he cramped up.
blank
14 years ago

charles woodson you overlooked, he was a great player but i do admit he doesnt have the speed he needs, but hes older- and hes done enough for the packers

"alharrisdude31" wrote:

If you basing that on last nights game. You gotta remember they were blitzing a lot leaving woodson 1 on 1. Not too mention the bears have speed at the receiver position.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

"C"

Statistically GB got out played in nearly every category yet still won the game.
The offensive could not consistently convert the turnovers into points.
226 total yards (150 yards passing) is poor to say the least. Yes the Bears have a tough defense but still. poor outing overall. Toomnay dropped passes.

Defense, while getting 4 TO's still gave up a lot of yards. (352) The front 7 did a solid job but there were problems in the secondary. Missed assignments. Poor tackling, bad pursuit angles. receivers left wide open.
Tough game. escaped with the W. move on to the next game.

Team Stat Comparison
 	Chicago 	GB
1st Downs	18	12
Passing 1st downs
	12	8
Rushing 1st downs
	4	4
1st downs from Penalties
	2	0
3rd down efficiency
	4-15	4-14
4th down efficiency
	1-3	0-0
Total Plays	69	54
Total Yards	352	226
Passing	266	150
Comp-Att
	17-36	17-28
Yards per pass
	7.4	5.4
Rushing	86	76
Rushing Attempts
	31	22
Yards per rush
	2.8	3.5
Red Zone (Made-Att)	0-3	1-2
Penalties	3-25	6-45
Turnovers	4	0
Fumbles lost
	0	0
Interceptions thrown
	4	0
Defensive / Special Teams TDs	0	0
Possession	33:03	26:57

"Rios39" wrote:

I think saying the D was only average is a bit absurd. The secondary had 4 turn overs. In a 3-4 you are going to give up some big plays, it's just how it is. Baltimore will do it, Pittsburgh. Any decent QB will hit some plays.

Having said that though the D completely killed the Bears run game. Which was a HUGE problem last year. How many stuffs did we have? I'm thinking a ton.

The 2 big plays was on one where Collins slipped, another one he cramped up.

"wpr" wrote:

Either you misunderstood what I said or I was not clear enuf.

The C is for the whole team. I am not breaking down player by player or O vs D.

With that said. I don't think you give high grades to a team that gave up that many yards based solely on the 4 TO's. throw in the 2 sacks as well. The did play well at times and they had problems in coverage other times. Certainly it is going to happen to any team any game. You can chose to say well Collins had a cramp. I know that. But the team gets an F for that play. Life isn't fair. I won't over look a big play TD and pretend it didn't happen. There were poor coverage routes last night. There were missed tackles.
Now the TO's. Of the 4 int's at least 2 of them were Offensive mistakes and not excellent defensive coverage. The receivers ran the wrong routes. Cutler threw to the wrong area. Some of that was DL pressure some of it was 1st game jitters.

As a whole, the Defense was somewhere between a B and C+. The team as a whole C. As a whole the Offense was somewhere around a C-. They didn't make the turnover mistake. But isn't that a minimum standard for the offense? That is what I expect from them. That is C to C+ in my book. Less than 100 yards rushing. Less than 200 yards passing. That is D material no matter how you look at it.

That is MY opinion. I don't ask for you to like it.

I will say that if everything stayed the same EXCEPT that the Bears won. (That prob means only 3 ints instead of 4 for that to happen. Which is a BIG IF.) I don't think we would see as many A's and B's from the Packer faithful. I simply choose not not get overly excited b/c they caught a few breaks and pulled out a game that statistically they lost.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
I don't care how much yardage a defense gives up. Bend, but don't break is good enough to win in the NFL. Looking at stats never gives you an indication of how well someone or something is. Watch the team and this was a much better defense.

The two areas that hurt the Packers most a year ago was the pass rush and run defense.

Matt Forte had 25 carries for 55 yards.

Cutler was sacked twice and pressured all day long.

The long ball is going to happen when you blitz that much. That's the type of risk you take when you pressure the QB.

To talk down the defense because it's not as good as say Pittsburgh or Tennessee is ridiculous. There is no such thing as the perfect team. Even the 72 Dolphins weren't perfect, lucky yes, but not perfect.

Tennessee gave up 300-plus yards to Ben Roethlisberger, but the stat that matters most is they held Pittsburgh to 13 points. That's encouraging going forward as is Green Bay giving up 15 points and only one touchdown. The team gave up field goals instead of touchdowns and that's what matters most.

The defense won this game. I know Rodgers will get the credit in the end for the big throw, but the D won this game for Green Bay.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

I don't care how much yardage a defense gives up.

"porky88" wrote:

True to a point, but not completely. give up 500 yards and only 17-21 points would be more fortuitous than solid D.

Bend, but don't break is good enough to win in the NFL.

"porky88" wrote:

I can live with this statement. But are we talking about "good enough" or "dominate"? Big difference. Good enough is C to C+. Dominate is B+ to A.

Looking at stats never gives you an indication of how well someone or something is. Watch the team and this was a much better defense.

The two areas that hurt the Packers most a year ago was the pass rush and run defense.

"porky88" wrote:

AGREED! I never said it was not.

Matt Forte had 25 carries for 55 yards.

Cutler was sacked twice
and pressured all day long.

"porky88" wrote:

these are stats. YOU can't use them. If I can't use the yards accumulated. :tongue3:

The long ball is going to happen when you blitz that much. That's the type of risk you take when you pressure the QB.

"porky88" wrote:

I understand and agree. Nevertheless You dont give a pass and say it doesn't matter. It is a gamble defense. You look for more "plus" plays than "minus" plays. The plays I am speaking about were minus. receivers wide open due to the attempt at pressuring the QB. It happens.
I scored those down.

To talk down the defense because it's not as good as say Pittsburgh or Tennessee is ridiculous. There is no such thing as the perfect team. Even the 72 Dolphins weren't perfect, lucky yes, but not perfect.

Tennessee gave up 300-plus yards to Ben Roethlisberger, but the stat that matters most is they held Pittsburgh to 13 points. That's encouraging going forward as is Green Bay giving up 15 points and only one touchdown. The team gave up field goals instead of touchdowns and that's what matters most.

"porky88" wrote:

I did not talk down the defense. I was pleased with the overall effort. I gave them a B maybe C+. There is no doubt that they have the ability to improve. An A or B+ effort means there is little or no need for improve.

The defense won this game. I know Rodgers will get the credit in the end for the big throw, but the D won this game for Green Bay.

"porky88" wrote:

Agreed.
I rated the D higher than the O. My C was for the overall team effort.
UserPostedImage
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Offense - D

Defense - A

Overall - what's that average out to, C+/B-?
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
14 years ago

There weren't any As offensively. If there was one, Josh Sitton for manhandling Tommie Harris all game long would be the best candidate.

"porky88" wrote:

I agree with the fact that there should be no offensive As, but Sitton manhandling Harris? I remember seeing two replays where Harris only had to push Sitton a little, then then Sitton was out of the play. Luckily those plays were outside runs, but still, manhandling is not the right word. Keeping him in check mostly would be a better phrase.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.