RainX
14 years ago
Barbre deserves another chance to start, but yeah, they need to be sure Giacomini is active this week. If both continue to struggle, bringing Tauscher back into the fold is almost a must if he'll be ready to go by October.
blank
longtimefan
14 years ago
Joe Panos ex Wi Badger and played a while in the nfl...

He does some call in on 1029 the hog out of Milwaukee...

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 as very very worried he rated Alan a 6.

Said all the mistakes Alan did were fundamental mistakes..He talked about dropping foot, so he couldnt push the guy at a 45degree angle, things like that

He said everyone has a game or two like that,and he thinks that is something can can be and sSHOULD be fixable.

If it happens again then the guy needs to be benched
agopackgo4
14 years ago
eh give the guy another chance. Sure..He got torched. First game though. Let him work some kinks out against one of the not so good teams in the league this week 😉 get some confidence brewing
Greg C.
14 years ago

Ogunleye (sp???) didn't seem to burn him as much in 2nd half, true, but I didn't pay attention to how much help Barbre was getting from FBs or TEs in the 2nd half either.

"coltonja" wrote:

Thanks musccy for bringing this up. I think those of you that said he improved do need to think a bit about that. I'm not saying that he was entirely the same, but he had a lot, A LOT, more help in the 4th quarter from TE's and backs.

Here's praying he learns how to block :pukeright:

"musccy" wrote:

I haven't watched the game on tape yet, but I suspect that Barbre got a lot of help in the second half. That probably explains why Jermichael Finley was a non-factor in the passing game. The RB's were not catching many passes either, on a night when dump-offs to the RB's could've been an important part of the offense.
blank
14 years ago
In Coach McCarthy's post match conference he did say regarding Babre's sacks allowed

"We will go back to the drawing board. It's not going to cut it"

Whether that means he will bench him or just giving him a kick up the ass remains to be seen, although, playing the Bengals could be a confidence boost to the guy. (As solid as they can be on defence)
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
LambeauEast
14 years ago
I like how McCarthy said the entire line didn't do well. That may be true, Mike, but I saw the pressure coming from the right tackle spot. But yes, give him another shot I guess....it's not like we have a choice. Maybe it was just jitters and poor technique.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I think Barbe didn't look as bad in the 2nd half because we never had the ball. I think GB had the ball for 10 of 30 minutes in the 2nd half with 1 of them being kneel downs at the end.

Fewer opportunities.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
14 years ago

I think Barbe didn't look as bad in the 2nd half because we never had the ball.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

valid point!
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Keep the O-line in tack, right now it's the best option. The more they play together, the better they will get.

Be careful taking The Bungals for granted, they have been pretty much disfuntional on offense the past few year but their defense is no pushover.

Hopefully The Packers are not looking past them, this is one of those games you should win, you need to win.

The Bears game was probably one of the roughest hardest hitting games The Packers will play this year, good to see they kept it together and pulled out the victory. Winning games like that will only help down the road.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
dfosterf
14 years ago
GBPG article 

Offensive line's problems go beyond just one guy
By Rob Demovsky rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com September 14, 2009
Even the euphoria of the game-winning touchdown Aaron Rodgers 50-yard bomb to Greg Jennings in the fourth quarter of Sundays 21-15 victory over the Chicago Bears was dampened by a troubling revelation.
It was another on a long list of plays from the season opener on which the Green Bay Packers pass protection was less than adequate.

On that play, tight end Jermichael Finley mistaken blocked down on defensive end Alex Brown, allowing linebacker Nick Roach to run free. Roach was so untouched that he actually paused for a second because he thought there might have been a misdirection play on. By the time Roach realized he had an open angle to Rodgers, the ball was gone.

Though the biggest problem on Sunday was right tackle Allen Barbres inability to block Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, there were problems all across the protection unit.

Coach Mike McCarthy on Monday blamed those issues on his offenses inability to sustain drives. The Packers totaled just 226 yards of total offense, and nearly one-third of that came on the game-winning drive, a five-play, 72-yard possession.

Our protection unit did not play well, and that was a major cause for our frustration and our inability to move the football, McCarthy said. The Bears' defensive line did a very good job getting after our front last night, and we did not handle it very well.

The coaches could find fault with almost everyone in the protection unit left tackle Chad Clifton gave up a sack, center Jason Spitz had a holding penalty and even Rodgers should have gotten rid of the ball sooner to avoid the second-quarter safety but no one played as poorly as Barbre.

In his first start at right tackle, the third-year pro had the kind of performance that could lead to a benching. Neither McCarthy nor offensive coordinator Joe Philbin would say whether they considered pulling Barbre during the game, and on Monday McCarthy said Barbre would remain the starter, at least for Sundays game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Barbre gave up a whopping seven pressures (unofficially), including the two sacks by Ogunleye. He couldnt block Ogunleyes backup, Mark Anderson, either. Anderson beat Barbre for a pressure and a minus-yardage rushing play.

We were frustrated, but I think that goes for anytime things dont go well, McCarthy said. Everybody wants to pin it on one person. Thats why you need to take a look at the film. I though the communication was good. The things we discussed on the (sideline), also the conversations at halftime, Allen Barbres performance actually improved in the second half, so thats a positive well take forward.

The Packers picked Barbre to replace veteran Mark Tauscher, the starter since 2000 who was not re-signed after a late-season knee injury last year. He beat out second-year Breno Giacomini midway through camp.

Barbre worked extensively with the No. 1 offensive line throughout the offseason but struggled in the preseason opener against Cleveland. The next week in practice, McCarthy declared the position wide open and gave Giacomini half of the reps with the starters. Barbre responded with a solid performance the next week against Buffalo.

He made the necessary corrections and moved forward and had a good preseason from there on out, offensive line coach James Campen said. We expect him to do the same thing again.

In grading the film, the coaches deemed Barbres mistakes to be technical errors and not cases of being overpowered and outmatched. If Barbre had been outmatched physically, he almost certainly would have lost his job. But because they were errors in techniques and fundamentals, theyre willing to give Barbre another shot.

You hope theres a natural cycle of development, Philbin said. Youve got the competition, corrections, practice and then youve got another competition. Hopefully now that hes had the competition, and he had the corrections (on Monday), and hes going to have the practice during the course of the week, and hes going to have another opportunity (on Sunday), you hope as a coach that from the time you spend and the things that youre doing are making a difference. But time will tell. Were going to see how he is.

There can be no real confidence in this football team until this issue is resovlved. It may get resolved simply by subsequent evidence that the Bears have an incredible pass rush. It may get resolved by that evidence coupled with "technique" corrections. It may get resolved by coming to the realization that we do not have adequate personnel and/or "schemes" to do the job.

The point being that all of our offensive weapons are being held hostage to this problem. To me it doesn't matter if we are playing the Patriots or the Bengals. There is no way that I personally can feel comfortable about my team's chances until I feel comfortable about my team's offensive line.

All upcoming hyperbole (a prediction) regarding us and the Bengals is precisely that until proven otherwise. Since we cannot prove otherwise, it will all be that...hyperbole. We stand a very good chance of getting our asses handed to us in our next football game, and any homerism to the contrary is precisely that as well...homerism.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (5h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (5h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (5h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (21h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.