Dulak
14 years ago
ya like I mentioned in another thread; considering how long our D spent on the field and how little time our O did. I consider our D top notch.

I mean we had +4 turnover ratio. Our time of possession should of been MUCH higher then the bears. You know what it was? ... 27 us to 33 them ...
thats :(

We should of dominated them on possession time; thats 4 more possessions.

I'm glad the offense knows this thou; and I hope they improve and work on things. Driver made some good comments in his interview and said that all the guys had 1st game jitters; especially since they kept talking about facing the bears all season long.

He said now that the game is out of the way they can relax and play ball.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Most of the media is a joke for the most part, they knob which ever QB that is hot at the time, claiming they are playing HOF football, then a week later they pick a new QB to blow. Much of power rankings seems to be which ever team is most popular at the time. Which will increase their readership and ranking.

Example from this weeks

Tom Brady is magic in the final minutes, but the Pats' defense appears shaky. (Clayton)

How hard is it to be magic when the opponents ST fumble the ball on the 30?

Aaron Rodgers to Greg Jennings: That's a pretty strong combination. (Chadiha)

Rodgers had one of the 5 worst games I have seen from him, the defensive front was great, but all that gets mentioned is Rodgers and Jennings. The names of the team.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Greg C.
14 years ago
I guess this thread proves that people are going to bitch about sportswriters no matter what they write. If they rank the Packers low, it means they are overlooking a good team. If they rank the Packers high, it means they are buying into the "hype." If their rankings differ too much (which seems to be the complaint here), it means they are inconsistent, or something. (I think it means they are at least thinking independently.)

I haven't had a problem with any of it this year. The Packers were ranked low before training camp because of their 6-10 record, and they moved up because they looked very good in training camp. The national sportswriters are often superficial in their arguments, but it kind of goes with the territory when you write about 32 teams that have 53 players each on their rosters, in a league that is notorious for its unpredictability.

I just read their stuff, take away whatever insights they may have to offer, and move on. Eat the meat and throw away the bone.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
I'm not complaining. I'm explaining, from my personal perspective.

I enjoy the power rankings. I like it when my team is highly ranked.

It makes me feel good. I don't care about flying under some radar, either.

It's just personal preferences.
14 years ago

Rodgers had one of the 5 worst games I have seen from him

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Because he didn't throw for 300 yards and 3 tds? I was impressed with how patient he was. He was getting pressured every play, he hung in there and made sure he didn't turn the ball over. I think his play against the bears was a little under valued.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

Most of the media is a joke for the most part, they knob which ever QB that is hot at the time, claiming they are playing HOF football, then a week later they pick a new QB to blow. Much of power rankings seems to be which ever team is most popular at the time. Which will increase their readership and ranking.

Example from this weeks

Tom Brady is magic in the final minutes, but the Pats' defense appears shaky. (Clayton)

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

How hard is it to be magic when the opponents ST fumble the ball on the 30?

Aaron Rodgers to Greg Jennings: That's a pretty strong combination. (Chadiha)

Rodgers had one of the 5 worst games I have seen from him, the defensive front was great, but all that gets mentioned is Rodgers and Jennings. The names of the team.

I have no problem with either one of those statements that you quoted (out of context). How picky are we going to get here?

If you think Tom Brady is nothing special, go right ahead and think it. You are entitled to your opinion. I don't think anybody denies how huge that fumble was, but Brady led his team to two TD's in the final minutes. I don't think it was luck. He's been doing it for nine years now.

As for the Packers, of course the defense was their strongest unit against the Bears, but Rodgers and Jennings made the game-winning play.

I noticed that all four prime time games this past weekend were decided in the final minutes, and the team with the top-flight QB won every single one of them. So as obvious as it is for the announcers and journalists to hype the QB's (I get sick of it too), they have good reason to do so.
blank
dyeah_gb
14 years ago
How many past or future games do the power rankings consider? Just the last game or the last 10?

I think we all have seen games where we know we should have won but we faced the opposing team when they are peaking. Alternatively, we have had games where we have gotten lucky and faced a potentially stronger team when they were tired, had a large number of injuries or just had a bad day.

It would be nice to go under the radar but commentators were quite unanimous that we are the team to beat in the NFC North and possibly the NFC. I guess at this point I would like to see the hype grow with more wins and better and more consistent execution; Starting this Sunday against the Bengals.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Tezzy
14 years ago
I still don't understand what good being under the radar brings anyone. 1st - The teams could care less about power rankings, I don't think a team prepares any less because their opponent is low in the ranking. 2nd - As a fan I want as much attention as possible, I get tired of seeing the Patriots, Steelers, and Chargers on all the tv shows. I want Packers all the time. So I hope we have active sonar going so that we are picked up on radar more.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
dyeah_gb
14 years ago

I still don't understand what good being under the radar brings anyone. 1st - The teams could care less about power rankings, I don't think a team prepares any less because their opponent is low in the ranking. 2nd - As a fan I want as much attention as possible, I get tired of seeing the Patriots, Steelers, and Chargers on all the tv shows. I want Packers all the time. So I hope we have active sonar going so that we are picked up on radar more.

"Tezzy" wrote:

I agree that teams do not really underestimate any opponent but I do think it is additional motivation for a team to establish or prove themselves by beating a team that the media declares as superior.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Felipe7777777
14 years ago
Well first i think power rankings are pretty lame, alot of diff people base their rankings off different things, whether we're too low or too high or just right doesnt matter to me, what matters are the W's at the end along with the trophy.............with that said i think the hype in this case in fact came from the preseason, how the offense dominated and the D was very good, people say it doesnt matter but they notice, you cant teach takeaways and/or your quarterback tearing up Defenses although it was the preseason the teams noticed best believe, and now the fact how they won game 1 adds to that hype even if it was a close call......either way i could care less for rankings but if i did have a preference really really low would be nice! ha
blank
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (13h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (14h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (17h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (18h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (23h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Random Babble / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.