Greg C.
14 years ago
I give porky credit for sensing that the Packers were due for a letdown. I didn't see this coming at all. Although I expected the defense to come down to earth a little (boy, did they ever!), I did not think the offense would lay an egg two weeks in a row.

We now have a trend with this offense, and especially with the offensive line, and it's a very bad trend. In the preseason, they played a total of four quarters, and played very well, but now we've seen eight quarters of mostly poor play from the offense in the regular season. That includes making the Cincinnati Bengals' defensive line look like the New York Giants.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I could have sworn it was Peyton's rookie year, but you guys are right, it was the year that the Packers went 13-3 to lead the league and the Colts went 3-13, so it must have been 1997. They would also go 3-13 in 1998 before going 13-3 in 1999, the biggest single-season turnaround in NFL history to that point. Interesting to think how recently the Colts were a pathetic team, before going on an unprecedented run of 12-win seasons.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
What i don't understand is all the panic going on, as i have pointed out before the game that Cinci has a very good defense that ranked i believe in the top 10 last year. The offense was bad because they were playing with a 3rd string qb and Benson was actually a bright spot when he started i believe in week 6 or 7 and rushed for 747 with a 3.5 ypc. Now is everyone going to claim us king again next week when we play a very weak offense in the Rams? The Bengals had a 4-11-1 season and we were 6-10 that isn't much of a difference in teams really.

edit: did the research they were #12 in yds per game and they had over 1000 defensive plays. giving up an average of 5.1 yds per play which is tied for 10th,

this year there at 13th with a 5.6 yds per play.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

I think the position is if this becomes a theme of sorts for the season.. I agree no one is in jeapody currently.. but I highly expect us to be working out some tackles in the very near future.

And Greg.. I agree we are in a bind on the blind side tackle... we gambled this offseason and came up short at this point.

"pack93z" wrote:

Personally, I want them to be working some tackles out TODAY.

Jobs at stake? Right. Tackle. Now. And don't bore me with "well, there's nothing out there now", because I don't care - you didn't get the help that was needed when there was a pool of talent from which to draw, so now you'll have to figure out a way to pull it out of your ass, Teddy.

Now, do you fire anyone after game 2? Nope? End of the season? Depends on games 3-16. There is a LOT of talent on the offensive side of the ball, and that talent is currently being wasted behind an embarrassingly bad line.

Must. Be. Fixed.

Bright spot: Like Hazer, I think Cincy is a better team than people think - and I do think their D is improved. They didn't roll into Lambeau with any respect, but that wasn't a fluke. Our team just wasn't prepared, simple as that.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Jobs at stake? Right. Tackle. Now. And don't bore me with "well, there's nothing out there now", because I don't care - you didn't get the help that was needed when there was a pool of talent from which to draw, so now you'll have to figure out a way to pull it out of your ass, Teddy.

Now, do you fire anyone after game 2? Nope? End of the season? Depends on games 3-16. There is a LOT of talent on the offensive side of the ball, and that talent is currently being wasted behind an embarrassingly bad line.

Must. Be. Fixed.

Bright spot: Like Hazer, I think Cincy is a better team than people think - and I do think their D is improved. They didn't roll into Lambeau with any respect, but that wasn't a fluke. Our team just wasn't prepared, simple as that.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Looking back at it, I think the thing that killed us yesterday was our OL, most of all. We were on the field for only 26 minutes, and that wore out our D. The sacks were drive killers, then of course MM's playcalling was suspect. What happened to our WCO from only a year ago? It could have compensated for our horrible OL.

And I agree. I want a Tackle, and I don't want to hear any excuses. No Tackles out there is NOT a valid excuse. That's about as stupid as saying (assuming one is single) there are no good women/men out there and you've looked everywhere. Or there are no good stocks to buy. Or there's no good music written today. It's because we need to look harder. Simple as that.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I mentioned a couple of times last week that The Bengals were pretty good on defense, it was their offense that was pethatic last year due to injuries and suspensions.

I hate to agree with dhazer, but not really, everybody had us as an elite team after pre-season.

Again it just goes to show how much pre-seson games mean(nothing).

I'm seeing the same vanilla, predictable offense that was used last year.
How many times are we going to run the ball up the middle on 1st down?
then when that doesn't work, you are at 2nd and long and now a team is pretty much one-dimensional.

I hate to go back to 2007, but That Packer team had no running game the first 7 weeks of the season and still managed to win games.

WEST COAST OFFENSE!!!! Set up the run with the pass!!!! Spread these teams out, short dump offs, quick slants, go deep once in awhile, make a defense respect your passing game then the run will work.

The guys on the roster are the ones the GM and HC decided were their best options, if Aaron Rodgers doesn't have time for 5 or 7 step drop, do something else to create that time.

The big difference in this year and last is the defense, but you cannot expect a defense to be on the field for extended lengths of time, without giving up points.

Reality is The Packers are 1-1, they lost a game to an AFC team, could have been worse, could have been a divisional or conference loss.

IMHO Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson need to make it happen this year or they both will be in trouble.

I will go as far as to say if The Packers go 2-6 or 3-5, Dom Capers will be the new interim HC at mid-season. If there is no turn around and The Packers finish below :500 Ted Thompson will be fired. JMHO
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

Must. Be. Fixed.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Looking back at it, I think the thing that killed us yesterday was our OL, most of all. We were on the field for only 26 minutes, and that wore out our D. The sacks were drive killers, then of course Mike McCarthy's playcalling was suspect. What happened to our WCO from only a year ago? It could have compensated for our horrible OL.

And I agree. I want a Tackle, and I don't want to hear any excuses. No Tackles out there is NOT a valid excuse. That's about as stupid as saying (assuming one is single) there are no good women/men out there and you've looked everywhere. Or there are no good stocks to buy. Or there's no good music written today. It's because we need to look harder. Simple as that.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

At this point, I'm not sure how much I can put on McCarthy (other than - and this isn't a small thing - he didn't clean out his OL coaches in the off-season, or do much of anything from his position to address this problem). Obviously, his calls lacked something - but when you can't keep mediocre DEs off your QB I doubt that helps with play calling.

And there is some merit to the "there's nothing left" argument, but since they sat through the offseason doing nothing, I'm not allowing that argument. Figure it out, boys - find something.

There's a lot of good things to look at, but the failure to address the OL makes them all moot points, and more importantly it retards their progress. This team can't make the strides it needs to without some sense of quality and consistency in the trenches.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

That's about as stupid as saying (assuming one is single) there are no good women/men out there and you've looked everywhere.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I had something funny to say about this, but as I hit the quote button, I let a loud fart and forgot what I was going to say.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

And just how deep are we at nose tackle? Hmmm? This guy was drafted 9th overall to come into the new 3-4 and make an immediate impact. Unless his ankle is really bad, he needs to be out there. Sorry, but this was a coaching fuck-up (yet another one) as far as I'm concerned.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

You're implying that Raji was a healthy scratch? That his ankle is 100%? That he could not have further injured his ankle by playing today?

Is that what you're saying?

I think we should not post while under the influence. :P

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Great players play hurt. Period. It's a Lombardi thing.

As I said yesterday, the fact that Raji was scratched indicates to me that Mike looked past the Bengals. If you haven't recognized that much, then you're unfit to comment on Packer football. Look for truth.

You site owners and Mods need to pull your head's out of your collective asses before it's too late. Influence that.

You just watched an embarrasment. Doesn't that piss you off? You have a responsibility as media (and that's exactly what you are) to hold this team's feet to the fire, and yet you constantly are presenting apologies on behalf of the coach and GM.

Grow some stones and write some truth!

"oskarliminga" wrote:

I don't know if I can speak on behalf of Z2C, but I think he'd be thrilled if you'd want to write an article for the site. Shed your light on things.

Just a suggestion, as you seem to be looking at this with a very different view than most of us.
zombieslayer
14 years ago

I hate to go back to 2007, but That Packer team had no running game the first 7 weeks of the season and still managed to win games.

WEST COAST OFFENSE!!!! Set up the run with the pass!!!! Spread these teams out, short dump offs, quick slants, go deep once in awhile, make a defense respect your passing game then the run will work.

The guys on the roster are the ones the GM and HC decided were their best options, if Aaron Rodgers doesn't have time for 5 or 7 step drop, do something else to create that time.

The big difference in this year and last is the defense, but you cannot expect a defense to be on the field for extended lengths of time, without giving up points.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

+1 for this part alone.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.