zombieslayer
14 years ago
Well, I said it before and I'll say it again - screw the run. I'd rather see us a pass first team. The pass opens up the run, and when we have a cushy lead, then run.

I'd much rather see the ball in the hands of Driver and Gregorious than Ryan Grant. Both are more elusive.

Now if an opponent sucks against the run, then run first.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"I'm pleased with Ryan Grant's production," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think he has been very steady. We had some growing pains really as an offense. We were not in sync earlier in the year, and really I felt the No. 1 issue was we didn't really give the run game enough attempts. If you look at the times where his carries were 18, 19, 20-plus carries, he has been very productive.

"To me, I say it all the time, the most important statistic for running the football is the attempts, and I think when Ryan has been given those opportunities, he has gotten into a groove and has been very productive. I think he is a very steady, solid player."

hmm
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
OK. Stats, stats. You can find stats for just about anything.

Of course if Grant gets more carries, we're more likely to win. If he's getting 30 carries a game, that usually means we're in the position to do that = big lead.

I bet when Donald Driver gets 100+ yards receiving, we generally win. So maybe that should be our motivational goal for our O -> making sure Donald Driver gets 100+ receiving yards a game. Hell, I'll look it up...

(5 minutes later)

What da ya know? Every game since '07 Donald Driver got 100+ yards receiving, we won except for 1.

'07:
San Diego - 6 126 21.00 1. We win 31-24
Detroit - 10 147 14.70 0. We win 37-26

'08:
Tennessee - 7 136 19.43 1. We lose 16-19. WTF?
Detroit - 6 111 18.50 1. We win 31-21

'09:
Detroit - 7 107 15.29 0. We win 26-0.
Detroit - 7 142 20.29 1. We win 34-12.

Just goes to show, you can find stats for just about anything. That's where logic comes in. If an opposing D looks like they can't stop Grant, give Grant more carries. So more carries = better game for Grant. Common sense.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
14 years ago
I don't know what people here are complaining about. The Packers average running the ball 27.7 times a game. That is PLENTY when you consider the talent at QB and on the perimeter.

Also, probably the key statistic is 4.3 ypc and that I know is better than what it was last year.

When you average 4.3 ypc on the ground and 8.1 yards per attempt through the air why in the world would you want any more balance than what it is?

The teams you play and how the course of the game goes dictates the number of carries vs. passes. You play the Vikes who stop the run real well but can't stop the pass you know what you have to do.

When the game is going like some have where we are experiencing longer distance because of sacks and penalties the number of run plays is going to be affected. When they are sitting out there 1st and 20 or 2nd and 20 the next few plays are highly likely to be passes.

Quite honestly I don't know if we will run the ball that great against the Steelers Sunday. They play the run real strong but there is another team that can be had through the air.

I can tell you to look at the stats since so many want to bring those up and see what the RB and TE receiving yards are in those games where we don't run the ball very well.

I will also remind everyone the Packers stop the opponents running attack more effectively than they stop ours nearly every game.
"The train is leaving the station."
WhiskeySam
14 years ago

That's another one of those bs stats.

When you pass a lot, it's often because the other team has the lead. When you run a lot, it's often because you have the lead and you're wearing them down and/or running out the clock.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

This is along the lines of my thinking. Do we win because we give Grant the ball more, or does Grant get the ball more in games where we alrady have a lead? Chicken or egg thing. +1 for you
Nemo me impune lacessit
14 years ago

When you pass a lot, it's often because the other team has the lead. When you run a lot, it's often because you have the lead and you're wearing them down and/or running out the clock.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

This is along the lines of my thinking. Do we win because we give Grant the ball more, or does Grant get the ball more in games where we alrady have a lead? Chicken or egg thing. +1 for you

"zombieslayer" wrote:

That could be it.
In our 4 losses Grant carried the ball 14, 11, 10, and 21 times. Thats an average of 14 carries a game. In our 9 wins he carried the ball for an average of 21 times. Based on those stats run the ball!
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago
I think a lot of fans (myself included) complain about Grant too much. He's 7th in the league right now in rushing yards. That's pretty damn good.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

OK. Stats, stats. You can find stats for just about anything.

Of course if Grant gets more carries, we're more likely to win. If he's getting 30 carries a game, that usually means we're in the position to do that = big lead.

I bet when Donald Driver gets 100+ yards receiving, we generally win. So maybe that should be our motivational goal for our O -> making sure Donald Driver gets 100+ receiving yards a game. Hell, I'll look it up...

(5 minutes later)

What da ya know? Every game since '07 Donald Driver got 100+ yards receiving, we won except for 1.

'07:
San Diego - 6 126 21.00 1. We win 31-24
Detroit - 10 147 14.70 0. We win 37-26

'08:
Tennessee - 7 136 19.43 1. We lose 16-19. WTF?
Detroit - 6 111 18.50 1. We win 31-21

'09:
Detroit - 7 107 15.29 0. We win 26-0.
Detroit - 7 142 20.29 1. We win 34-12.

Just goes to show, you can find stats for just about anything. That's where logic comes in. If an opposing D looks like they can't stop Grant, give Grant more carries. So more carries = better game for Grant. Common sense.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

lmao six games out of 48?? 🙂

I do agree, you can find stats supporting whichever flavor you're wanting, you just chose one that doesn't seem to merit much in my view. (btw, off the top of my head, I think Driver had less than 100 during the Seahawks game in '07, we won, and more than 100 in the Giants game in '07 that we lost) Arguments can be made for this or that. He had 100 because we were behind and pass happy, etc ...

As for do we win more because we run Grant more or do we run Grant more because we are winning? If we don't run the ball well in the 4th quarter with the lead, we give the ball back and increase the chance for the other team to score. In that context, it seems fairly simple and obvious. Which makes me say, there's no real science to it, lol.

I think the stats for Grant having 20+ carries equaling more wins, is more of a trend than say a reason for success. I wouldn't dare say that running the ball more does not help win games. Anytime you eat up lots of clock and keep your defense off the field, that's a fairly good recipe for success. Providing of course you score points.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

That could be it.
In our 4 losses Grant carried the ball 14, 11, 10, and 21 times. Thats an average of 14 carries a game. In our 9 wins he carried the ball for an average of 21 times. Based on those stats run the ball!

"zombieslayer" wrote:

The debate would then go to, how many of them were in the 4th quarter?

To that I would ask, how much does that matter? If he runs it 3 times for a total of 8 yards, that's still something like 120 seconds off the clock, two minutes less that the other team has to score points on you. Someone will say that doesn't matter.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

That could be it.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

The debate would then go to, how many of them were in the 4th quarter?

To that I would ask, how much does that matter? If he runs it 3 times for a total of 8 yards, that's still something like 120 seconds off the clock, two minutes less that the other team has to score points on you. Someone will say that doesn't matter.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

That is another reason why i think we have been so successful the past 5 games. We have dominated the time of possession.
UserPostedImage