djcubez
  • djcubez
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Basically what I'm saying is where's our skill guy like this:
[youtube]j3MkLCRkPIM[/youtube]

The quickness, the moves and the explosiveness. Sure, say whatever you will about the Giants and how different of situation they're in than the Packers but if we at least kept a guy like this on our roster how much he could expand the playbook. Imagine the change of pace between him and Grant.

Then I beg you to watch this highlight video and imagine what could have been:
[youtube]mlfSbIwM_iI[/youtube]

Remember those plays where Grant got to the second level, ran into the safety and fell over? See what these guys do when they get to the second level?
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Have I come off as Grant supporter? I think Grant is a average RB. I think with the Cowboys or Giants he'd rack up 1,500 yards and 10 or so TD's. We don't have that kind of OL.

I'm basically saying that there's only a half dozen or so RB's that could be getting more yards rushing that we are getting with Grant. And to expect him to make some of those cuts I think is unrealistic.

Our RB of the future, is not on our roster <-- my opinion.

I'd like for us to make a play for a Tashard Choice or Felix Jones to be honest. I think they benefit from a awesome OL, but also have the ability to make something out of nothing more than Grant.

edit, I liked Sutton. I'd like to have seen him run against 1s instead. I'd like Noel Devine in Green and Gold.

Sutton ran the 40 in 4.75 seconds.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
  • djcubez
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Have I come off as Grant supporter? I think Grant is a average RB. I think with the Cowboys or Giants he'd rack up 1,500 yards and 10 or so TD's. We don't have that kind of OL.

I'm basically saying that there's only a half dozen or so RB's that could be getting more yards rushing that we are getting with Grant. And to expect him to make some of those cuts I think is unrealistic.

Our RB of the future, is not on our roster <-- my opinion.

I'd like for us to make a play for a Tashard Choice or Felix Jones to be honest. I think they benefit from a awesome OL, but also have the ability to make something out of nothing more than Grant.

edit, I liked Sutton. I'd like to have seen him run against 1s instead. I'd like Noel Devine in Green and Gold.

Sutton ran the 40 in 4.75 seconds.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

All right then I actually completely agree with you. I just probably come off as more of a Grant hater.
gbguy20
14 years ago

[youtube]zi4NTC8S8nE[/youtube]
Here's a highlight video all from '07. Look at his style, he runs STRAIGHT. He makes a few moves on some of the plays but it's basically all running straight through holes. We have no holes now so he's completely ineffective as a RB. Now your point about the OL not making holes makes sense but if you give me the ball I can run through a damn hole. A RB has GOT TO make plays on his own. He's a skill player, that's his job. I'm not saying he has to do it all the time but making a few plays a game is what starting RB's do in the NFL.

[youtube]3-JdoWHgVEk[/youtube]
Now here's a highlight video with some highlights fro m 2008. Notice he runs slower, straighter and tends to fall down. Sure, blame it on the hamstring but don't tell me you think he looks more like the '07 Grant--he doesn't. I mean look at the run against the Vikings around :30 seconds. At the end of the run he just goes right into the safety and falls over. At 1:03 in the same video he does the same thing running right into a Bears safety. I mean both of those runs could have been TD's if he made a move.

"djcubez" wrote:

the speed dropoff in the second video is actually really noticeable. wow
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"gbguy20" wrote:

Nice videos. Although any player is going to appear faster when your video is 17 frames per second compared to a video of 29.97 frames per second.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Nice videos. Although any player is going to appear faster when your video is 17 frames per second compared to a video of 29.97 frames per second.

"gbguy20" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

ahh i guess that would explain it 😶
paanderson86
14 years ago
ryan grant did play pretty well the other night, but i am not going to go ahead and say that he has been doing a good job this year. i believe his average numbers for the last 3 years are 5.1, 3.9, and 3.7 (this year). he just has not been doing it for us. i mean ya if he runs it 3 average times, it'll be a first down, but we all know that 3.7 is crap. he sits around way too long waiting for a hole to be created, instead of creating one himself by putting his head down and knocking some people over. that being said, idk if he really is a 'downhill runner.' he simply is not a real big guy. the thing that makes him valuable is his legs, they just keep churning. if he does start juking guys a little more, making some cuts, and stops waiting in the backfield for a hole to open up while a LB comes around the outside, he'll be a good back, but as of now, he's decent.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Grant will never be a runner that creates something from nothing. If the Oline does not open holes, he is shot. That is also an aspect of the ZBS. The lateral movement leaving defenders at the LOS. Switch to some power running and move them defenders back from the LOS, so when there is not hole, it is at least at the LOS or their side of the ball instead of our backfield
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
zombieslayer
14 years ago
The problem with Ryan Grant - take a look at the top 10 RBs in the NFC. Take a look at their longest run. Compare that to Grant's longest run. It will make you sick.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The problem with Ryan Grant - take a look at the top 10 RBs in the NFC. Take a look at their longest run. Compare that to Grant's longest run. It will make you sick.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Of Course Grant is the 17. But, I'm not sick. Didn't he have a longer run that was called back because of a holding penalty?
UserPostedImage