djcubez
14 years ago

Novel concept, instead of throwing around uncorroborated numbers, why don't you guys point to the number of passes that were actually under or over five yards? Ya know, give your arguments some meat?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Alright I exaggerated. The point I was trying to make is a lot of his throws were short with YAC and most of them were setup by a defensive commitment to the run game.
porky88
14 years ago
I think most people understand that Favre played out of his mind against the Packers. I started two threads right after the game and I believe I put in the Packers at Vikings thoughts thread that Favre beat the Packers and Minnesota doesn't win without him. He' has improved that team by a huge margin. GB dared Favre to beat them and he did. That simple

Again though, the question was never whether or not Favre could play one game or two or even five. It's can he go through the entire season and the postseason with consistent play and not fade down the stretch? The NFL is a marathon and not a sprint.

As far as the whole Rodgers on Vikings and Vikings are better or whatnot. Go read the espn boards and come back. Favre fans have trashed Rodgers as much, if not more than Packer fans have trashed Favre. When Mike and Mike in the Morning is addressing some of the comments coming in on those boards, you know the guy is getting a lot of unnecessary flack.

It works both ways, but then again, most things do.
Gravedigga
14 years ago

Can some people just give Favre some credit???

In a pressure filled game in which he knew was going to be the most watched MNF game ever, in which he knew that there were millions of people hoping he fails, etc., he played one of his best games EVER. He deserves credit even though a lot of people that have always hated him point to BS stuff.

"If you put Rodgers on the Vikings and you put Favre on the Packers, then hands on Rodgers would have done better" - how do you know that and who cares???

"Rodgers passed for more yards than Favre, he had a better game anyway"

I did not confirm this but on the radio they were saying that out of Rodgers 380 yards, 140 yards came from the final five minutes (70 yards from a 70 second drive and 70 yards from a 120 second drive).

I'm convinced there are fans that don't even watch games and just look at box scores. Why would the Vikings if they are up by 16 or whatever continue to throw a ton if they have AP. It only makes sense that they are going to start running more and Favre throwing less and taking no chances - hence he would obviously have less yards.

This isn't a jab at Rodgers because I have said in other threads he played a good game (not "great" IMO) and the thing that impressed me the most about him was the way he handled himself. It was pure class. He waited after the game to find Favre and hug him even though everyone in the world wants him to hate Favre. He didn't throw his O-line under the bus as he could have. He has flaws, sure, as does almost every QB in hte history of the game (including Favre). He threw a costly INT, Favre didn't, he fumbled, Favre didn't, he took a stupid safety, Favre didn't, etc. But then again he faced much much much more of a pass rush than Favre (thats an understatement), Donald Lee dropped a key pass, etc. Its all good. But its pretty amazing for a 40 year old QB to play just as well or if not better than a 20 something.

I thought I'd give him some credit in a Favre dedicated section of the site. This should somewhat even out all the Favre bashing threads here.

"djcubez" wrote:

Favre did what he was paid to do. He doesn't deserve shit for credit. Not to mention the fact that most of his yards resulted from having 7 seconds in a pocket to throw the damn ball. Imagine if we had teams stacking 8 in the box to make sure Ryan Grant didn't run all over them--any starting QB should have a field day. Plus, most of Favre's throws were less than 5 yards, the receivers did most of the work.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

The touchdown where Al Harris got shook out his boots it was 1.5 seconds, quick pump, and throw. The rest(Harris pointing at teammates) is history.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Gravedigga
14 years ago

You say "you guys" like you mean me, however I never made excuses for the game. We lost fair and square. All I'm saying is Brett didn't do shit. He made a pass when it counted but that's what's required for a game-managing QB. His team has a run game and good defense so there's relatively no pressure on Favre to force it in there. I mean do I deserve credit every day I go and do a job I'm paid to do without making mistakes? I agree, Favre played a good game but he doesn't deserve all this credit for the win. It's not like he was bombing them on us every play and making our secondary look like fools. The Vikings as a team made our defense look like shit, not all this Favreian stuff. Wait until Favre really has to put everything on his shoulders and win a game--I guarantee he won't pull anything out of his ass like against the 49ers.

Plus what's this about Cutler. The reason we beat him is our pressure forced him to make bad throws. We rarely put any pressure on Favre because we had a weak link at safety and we focused too much on All Day. And that's not called an "excuse" for losing, it's called a "reason" for losing.

"djcubez" wrote:

Game managing QB? Wanna give the credit to Peterson? Alright, lets go over the box score.

Peterson: 25 carries, 55 yards, 2.1 yards per carry, 1 TD
Vikings: 30 carries, 63 yards, 2.1 yards per carry

Favre 24/31 271 yards, 3 touchdowns

Because of Favres arm, the Vikings didnt need to pass much in the 4th quarter. Because of Favres long pass, Peterson got a short easy TD. Because of Favre, the Vikings won. I have a hard time seeing the Vikings win with T. Jackson or Sage behind center. Every time they needed a big play, there he was, MANAGING to pillage our "great secondary"

No pressure on Favre because of a great running game? 2 yards per carry man. Thats A LOT of pressure knowing you have to make ALL the big plays in order to get points. Knowing that because the great Peterson lost the fumble which was returned for a TD, he had to get more points. This game was all about Favre and hardly at all about Peterson. Most watched cable program ever, one of the highest pressure situation maybe ever for Favre and he was nearly flawless. Take your sour grapes and excuses elsewhere 🙂
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
Gravedigga
14 years ago

Love how people are saying Rodgers padded his stats in garbage time. 140 yards in the 4th. The only difference between him and Brett is that Rodgers made those garbage time passes. Didn't MN go for a bomb with the game ticking away? Only Brett missed.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

He did it on purpose. No use in kicking a dying dog.
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The touchdown where Al Harris got shook out his boots it was 1.5 seconds, quick pump, and throw. The rest(Harris pointing at teammates) is history.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

You mean the play where the safety failed to cover the top as Harris expected? Yeah, about 2 seconds.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

You mean the play where the safety failed to cover the top as Harris expected? Yeah, about 2 seconds.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

I believe it was man coverage with some up top help. But Harris always covers one on one, bump and run with no help. I doubt it was a zone coverage there.
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Gravedigga" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I believe it was man coverage with some up top help. But Harris always covers one on one, bump and run with no help. I doubt it was a zone coverage there.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. He obviously just let him go. He had the under coverage and Martin the over coverage. Martin just never got therei.

I think it might look like man because, I think, Harris stretched out his zone to give some help to Martin, with no one else on his side on the field.
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago

You say "you guys" like you mean me, however I never made excuses for the game. We lost fair and square. All I'm saying is Brett didn't do shit. He made a pass when it counted but that's what's required for a game-managing QB. His team has a run game and good defense so there's relatively no pressure on Favre to force it in there. I mean do I deserve credit every day I go and do a job I'm paid to do without making mistakes? I agree, Favre played a good game but he doesn't deserve all this credit for the win. It's not like he was bombing them on us every play and making our secondary look like fools. The Vikings as a team made our defense look like shit, not all this Favreian stuff. Wait until Favre really has to put everything on his shoulders and win a game--I guarantee he won't pull anything out of his ass like against the 49ers.

Plus what's this about Cutler. The reason we beat him is our pressure forced him to make bad throws. We rarely put any pressure on Favre because we had a weak link at safety and we focused too much on All Day. And that's not called an "excuse" for losing, it's called a "reason" for losing.

"djcubez" wrote:

I don't get it. He has no pressure? Did you even watch the game, this running game your talking about was stuffed. I don't have the stat but I bet Favre converted many 3rd and longs when the pressure is ALL on him because its a passing down and the Vikings defense is stting down.

"Wait until Favre really has to put everything on his shoulders and win a game" - He already did, 80 yard drive with 90 seconds left, no time outs? I don't get it.

Plus there are people discounting Favre's passes because of YAC but do not do the same for Rodgers (i.e. Finleys TD), it works both ways. YAC are part of the game. Also the throwing over 5 yards issue - I did a quick search and I found 8 of Favre's 24 passes went for more than 15 yards. I don't know about the 5 yards. But I know of the touchdown with Berriman was 30 yards and there was maybe 2 YAC and the Harvin 45 yarder, which I would guess had 5 YAC. Plus his average yards per pass was 11.29. How do you respond to that?

The Berriman touchdown is a perfect example. I don't get what that has to do with having "7 seconds per play". He snapped it, threw it between 1-2 seconds right into the hands of the receiver in stride.

I don't even care about this because as Zero said he's not our concern. But I just don't get the position that he managed the game.
blank
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Gravedigga" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. He obviously just let him go. He had the under coverage and Martin the over coverage. Martin just never got therei.

I think it might look like man because, I think, Harris stretched out his zone to give some help to Martin, with no one else on his side on the field.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

I think it was a broken play. Harris thought he had coverage behind him. You can tell because he was already pulling out his mouthguard to yell at Martin before Berriman got into the endzone, lol.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.