Stevetarded
14 years ago

The thing about the Vikings game last year is even though he got juked by Taylor he was still in position to make a play. Which is more than we could say for our other linebackers for most of the season.

"packfan4" wrote:

So that's a positive? He was in position to make the play but got abused and burnt for a 50 yard TD. Just being in position to make the play doesn't mean anything if you don't do it. Like I said, I like Bishop but if people think replacing Hawk with him is going to make our D better then they are in for a rude, rude awakening if God forbid anything happened to Hawk.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Yes it's a positive when he makes the play more often than not (he does). He got juked that is something that can be fixed with more experience. We have enough players out there "playing it safe" and "not screwing up". It hasn't seemed to work out too well has it?

"packfan4" wrote:

Makes the play more often than not? When? He doesn't play. We don't "have enough players out there "playing it safe" and "not screwing up", if we did, we would be much better than 18th in Total Defense.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Yeah right, you single out Bishop for 1 play but all of our linebackers fucked up. I would say AJ Hawk is the definition of "playing it safe". I would say Bishop certainly makes plays when he gets a chance. He led the friggin team in forced fumbles last year even though "he doesn't play".
blank
packfan4
14 years ago

The thing about the Vikings game last year is even though he got juked by Taylor he was still in position to make a play. Which is more than we could say for our other linebackers for most of the season.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

So that's a positive? He was in position to make the play but got abused and burnt for a 50 yard TD. Just being in position to make the play doesn't mean anything if you don't do it. Like I said, I like Bishop but if people think replacing Hawk with him is going to make our D better then they are in for a rude, rude awakening if God forbid anything happened to Hawk.

"packfan4" wrote:

Yes it's a positive when he makes the play more often than not (he does). He got juked that is something that can be fixed with more experience. We have enough players out there "playing it safe" and "not screwing up". It hasn't seemed to work out too well has it?

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Makes the play more often than not? When? He doesn't play. We don't "have enough players out there "playing it safe" and "not screwing up", if we did, we would be much better than 18th in Total Defense.

"packfan4" wrote:

Yeah right, you single out Bishop for 1 play but all of our linebackers fucked up. I would say AJ Hawk is the definition of "playing it safe". I would say Bishop certainly makes plays when he gets a chance. He led the friggin team in forced fumbles last year even though "he doesn't play".

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Whatever helps you sleep at night...again, there's a reason why Desmond Bishop does not play more than a handful of snaps a game. Dom Capers isn't a dummy, there's a reason why he's been highly successful in the NFL for over 20 years. What does "play it safe" even mean? Doing your job and not leaving others hanging out to dry in your attempt to make plays? The MACK LB in our Defense needs to be versatile and needs to be able to match up well in coverage, both areas that Desmond Bishop struggles and AJ Hawk does well, which is why he is the starter and Bishop is relegated to a situational role. Put Desmond Bishop on the Eagles Defense and he can be a Pro Bowler, they love their MLBs to drop the hammer and attack the LOS in the run game, clogging up the middle and very rarely ask their MIKE LB to match up in coverage. Bishop could be every bit as good as Trotter was for them.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I am going to have to take steves side on this one.

You can say hes overrated all you want. But he hasn't seen enough playing time to be overrated or underrated.

I disagree on the part that hes one dimensional. From what i have seen of him, he can do it all.

As far as the Chester Taylor play. It was in the open field and Taylor made a very nice move. But Bishop should of made the tackle. But come on now it was only one play.

No i am not saying he should start. But he should definitely see more playing time.
UserPostedImage
DGB454
14 years ago
I too would like to see Bishop get a lot more playing time.
LambeauEast
14 years ago
C'mon guys....group hug?
UserPostedImage
Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

I am going to have to take steves side on this one.

You can say hes overrated all you want. But he hasn't seen enough playing time to be overrated or underrated.

I disagree on the part that hes one dimensional. From what i have seen of him, he can do it all.

As far as the Chester Taylor play. It was in the open field and Taylor made a very nice move. But Bishop should of made the tackle. But come on now it was only one play.

No i am not saying he should start. But he should definitely see more playing time.

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

Awesome vid - ya and that was just vs the bills. again no wonder he had the most tackles and 2 ints in preseason.
porky88
14 years ago
Bishop isn't untouchable if a good offer comes by. If someone is offering a fourth round pick, I'd say no because I rather have Bishop for the rest of the year and then deal him in the off season. If a starting caliber SS is on the table, you almost have to take the deal and upgrade a huge liability.

Don't you?

As far as playing players who get paid more. It absolutely happens. Players who make the most money will always get an oppurtunity over a sixth round pick. I think it's something that is fairly obvious. It also doesn't help that this regime is very stubborn or prideful and they seldolm like to admit mistakes. When are players actually benched by this regime? It's been rare.

Is Bishop overrated like one poster suggested?

Absolutely because some people think he's head and shoulders better than Hawk or Barnett. That he is not, but he's not a scrub and he definitely deserves a chance in my view.
Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Bishop isn't untouchable if a good offer comes by. If someone is offering a fourth round pick, I'd say no because I rather have Bishop for the rest of the year and then deal him in the off season. If a starting caliber SS is on the table, you almost have to take the deal and upgrade a huge liability.

Don't you?

As far as playing players who get paid more. It absolutely happens. Players who make the most money will always get an oppurtunity over a sixth round pick. I think it's something that is fairly obvious. It also doesn't help that this regime is very stubborn or prideful and they seldolm like to admit mistakes. When are players actually benched by this regime? It's been rare.

Is Bishop overrated like one poster suggested?

Absolutely because some people think he's head and shoulders better than Hawk or Barnett. That he is not, but he's not a scrub and he definitely deserves a chance in my view.

"porky88" wrote:

Do you mean a SS like martin, giordana or smith? ... how do we know what a starting safety is like?

Heck I want to see barnett sit and see how bishop does; he was real good vs the run and had some nice pass rush skills. Bishop looks like he is backing up hawk (IMO hawk is showing a little improvement so far this year and barnett isnt showing much - (I am not sure how the BUCK and MACK positions differ when it comes to the 3-4).
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Bishop was the leading tackler in preseason because he played the most snaps. Thinking that he isn't getting time because of salary is horse shit, coming from somebody that doesn't know what is really going on. Hawk has lost snaps because of Chillar's performance even though Hawk makes twice what Chill does.

The truth is, Bishop is not as good as those ahead of him in the depth. That simple. Sure he looked good with the second team and third team. But he wasn't good enough to make reps with the 1st team even when Barnett wasn't practicing. Bishop is #4 ILB. Even if Barnett or Hawk were to get hurt, Chillar is the primary backup for both. I guess Chillar is to high priced to sit though.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Bishop on the block? The deadline for teams to complete trades is 3 p.m. Tuesday.

The Packers aren't expected to be buyers - starting left tackles and stud running backs aren't plentiful - but they could be willing to part with linebacker Desmond Bishop for the right price.

After not playing in base defense in four games this season, Bishop said he wouldn't mind a change in scenery.

"It crossed my mind," Bishop said. I didnt know the deadline was Tuesday. I thought about it. Shoot, if anybody has reason to want a player, I wouldnt oppose it.

Bishop has impressed during his extended playing time in preseason games each of the past two seasons. But with Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar and A.J. Hawk ahead of him on the depth chart, Bishop hasn't found much playing time.

He said he just wants an opportunity to play.

Right, Bishop said.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.