Gravedigga
14 years ago

Again you might see a leg "whip" but it's hard to execute a "whipping" motion as your in the air falling to the ground. If he was already laying on the ground, and "whipped" then 100% it's a penalty. When you are falling to the ground and your legs are wailing around I can't see that as being a trip.

Tripping someone from the side by sliding your leg into theirs is done when you have a base to whip your leg. With no base it's pretty hard to trip or "whip" anything let alone an upside down whip like this was. Show me the rule that says when you fall down you have to keep your legs in a certain manor. He was falling, to the ground, being hurdled and his legs contacted the Defenders. Happens all the time. It was a selective call at a selective time given to a team who 1 week earlier was given a first down when they were clearly short by 6 inches on 4th down. The Steelers have gotten a bunch of bogus calls the last few years so it doesn't surprise me.

"dd80forever" wrote:

I don't know about you sir, but when I fall to the ground, I make it a point to watch how my legs are swinging so not to trip anyone else.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Pack93z
14 years ago

Again you might see a leg "whip" but it's hard to execute a "whipping" motion as your in the air falling to the ground. If he was already laying on the ground, and "whipped" then 100% it's a penalty. When you are falling to the ground and your legs are wailing around I can't see that as being a trip.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Did he swing his legs at the defender? Yes. Did his legs create a whipping effect? Yes. Should it be a penalty? Yes.

He got called for tripping.. IMO, it was the incorrect but lighter call for a piss poor block attempt in which he whiffed and did the only thing he could do because he left his feet.. take him out with his legs regardless if Harrison was airborne or planted on the ground.

Rules.. you most certainly can't use your legs to trip or force a player to the ground.. again would he have done a ton of damage without a plant leg.. probably not.. but you can't allow it because he sold out on the cut and missed.

Again.. find me other consistent evidence of it being let go?

Edit.. NFL rule book.. since your asking..

15 yard Personal Foul - Leg Whip:

"striking an opponent anywhere above the knee with the foot or any part of the leg below the knee with a whipping motion"

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Formo
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Did he swing his legs at the defender? Yes. Did his legs create a whipping effect? Yes. Should it be a penalty? Yes.

He got called for tripping.. IMO, it was the incorrect but lighter call for a piss poor block attempt in which he whiffed and did the only thing he could do because he left his feet.. take him out with his legs regardless if Harrison was airborne or planted on the ground.

Rules.. you most certainly can't use your legs to trip or force a player to the ground.. again would he have done a ton of damage without a plant leg.. probably not.. but you can't allow it because he sold out on the cut and missed.

"striking an opponent anywhere above the knee with the foot or any part of the leg below the knee with a whipping motion"

"dd80forever" wrote:

I guess I'll pay more attention to the blocking part of the game.

I'll make sure to bring up every time I see a defender trip over an offensive lineman's fat ass legs. It happens in EVERY game.

They call it when it's obviously intentional. Dugan was in the air.. how could it be intentional when he's already in motion, in mid air.

ESPECIALLY when initial contact was made with his ass?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
porky88
14 years ago
You can't joke about Favre with Favre fans.

I agree about Pittsburgh and Minnesota being very even.

To state that Minnesota looked better than Pittsburgh would be like Packer fans stating well our offense matched your offense in the first game against the Vikings. It really did too. Look at the stats. GB moved the ball up and down the field, but still loss. Why? Turnovers and sacks.

Favre was sacked four times and turned the ball over two times. Not all his fault, but Pittsburgh needs to be credit here too.

The way some prole are talking is kind of mindblowing. I mean now there is talk of the Saints going unbeaten and before I think some Favre fans (Viking fans know better) felt Minnesota would run the table. People need to slow down.

For the record, he did hold the ball too long. I think the point needs to be made though that he really had to and to be fair, he held the ball too long on the throw to AP, but he had too. His line also allowed him to get one of those throws off. This 1-2-3 crap is a joke. It's not that easy.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

The first Min/GB game set a record for highest rated cable program ever. Theres a reason for it. It doesnt happen if Sage Rosenfels of T Jackson starts.

Also, you call it hero worship, it's not that. It's defending the player. People want to say Favre cost them the game because he held on to the ball too long on the fumble or the "high pass" on the screen. So these idiots want to put the loss on Favre. He had 3 seconds and the defender was there on the fumble and the pass, while slightly high, was certainly catchable and either way, was just another lucky play. The Vikings dominated the Steelers for the most part and were on there way to win the game despite the bad calls(tripping in particular), the "GREAT VIKINGS RUNNING GAME" inability to punch in the TD when Favre drove them to the 3 yard line, the unfortunate defensive td returns.

Anyone who gathered the Steelers are a better team than the Vikings be smokin something nice. Anyway, 7-1 with a bye coming isn't too
bad.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

While I agree with Rule One "if it hits your hands you should catch it", the pass was more than "slightly high".
Watch the replay again. Taylor jumps a little bit, his arms are extended about as far as they can go, (keep in mind with shoulder pads on football players don't have the same range of motion as they would without pads and running backs pads are usually bigger than a receivers pads are.) and the ball is still more than a foot over his head.
Both players share in the blame for the int but this is Brett's fault more than Taylor's.

Look at Brett's face after the TD. He is smiling. It is as if he is saying, "well ya got me this time." He knows that was his fault. He loves the competition. He can take the hit. He has said so many times over the years that he is not afraid of the interceptions that he has thrown. He is not bothered by mistakes. Watch him when one of the other players screws up. He chews them out. He tells them to "get their head in the game."
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"dd80forever" wrote:

And I see no "whipping" motion whatsoever. It is a tangle of 2 players feet.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Just thought of something. And I will be called a Vikings apologist but I don't care. I am the furthest thing from that.

What would you say if a Bears fan said , "The Packers were lucky. If it wasn't for a blown coverage on Jennings we would have won the opener."

That would be pretty weak wouldn't it?

The bottom line is every play counts. I don't do the excuse game, that includes blaming the officials. The officials make bad calls on both sides.

Anyway, that's my rant. I just hate it when fellow Packers fans play the excuse game, when they would rip Vikings fans for doing the exact same thing. Practice what you preach.

"IronMan" wrote:

I missed this one. Well written, IronMan.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
longtimefan
14 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"dd80forever" wrote:

UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
What did Mike Pereira say about the play?

He has been fairly honest from what I've seen and I would take what he has to say pretty seriously about the play.
djcubez
14 years ago

"longtimefan" wrote:

"dd80forever" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"dd80forever" wrote:

UserPostedImage

From that picture it's clearly a trip despite the fact that it's obvious he's attempting a cut-block. He took him out with his legs, a tripping penalty. A cut block properly executed involves your upper body against the opponent players lower body. Dugan clearly rotated and put the backside of his legs against James Harrison's which is technically a trip. At least from that picture.