PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
With Bigby back, it sure seemed like we were able to start mixing up what we do with Woodson more.

Get Woody going and bad things happen.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I second what Finland said. He's just way more trustworthy and better at safety than our back-ups. By far.

It's also a psychological effect, though. Just look at what some of the coaches and players have to say about him.

"I'll just say this: When Atari is in the game, on the field, there's definitely a different life to our defense," McCarthy said. "You could just see that yesterday at practice."

Packers nose tackle Ryan Pickett compared Bigby to Indianapolis' Bob Sanders - an overstatement, for sure, but one that indicates just how strongly teammates feel about Bigby.

"It puts a lot of teeth in our defense," Pickett said. "Losing someone like him, I mean, he's a major part of our defense. He's a great player, playing the pass and the run. Just having him out there, having his personality and his attitude out there on the field, we've missed it tremendously."

Woodson is looking forward to Bigby's return, mainly because he has a firm grasp of the defensive scheme.

"That is half the battle," Woodson said. "He knows the defense, so just to have us at full strength, having him back, running around, his enthusiasm, helps out a lot."

The entire article is very good and it fits in perfectly with this thread, so I'll post it again.

Packers' hard-hitting Bigby expected back vs. Lions 

Associated Press

Just take some time to read it.

I was always one of the guys who was down on Bigby because of his health and the liability he was in coverage, but he actually appears to be knowing what he does out there moreso than our back-ups or, sometimes, even Nick Collins.

He'll always be a ballhog and run stuffer mainly, he's no CB-S, he's more of a LB-S, but he really compliments Collins, and our entire secondary, in that backfield and is a force to be reckoned with when healthy.
Pack93z
14 years ago

We did a great job against AP but we had no answer for Favre, the key to stopping Favre is bringing the heat and I hope we do that when we see them again in less than 2 weeks.

"packfan4" wrote:

I don't think that Bigby was the reason we didn't bring a ton of heat on Favre.

We played gap control defense in that game.. the goal was to take away Peterson and make Favre beat you. And Brett did.. but a couple of side notes to that.

One, by not allowing AP to get rolling, we were able to get the defense off the field some and where still pretty fresh late in that game to make crucial stops.

Up til that game, Brett had been spotty with his deep ball.. maybe possum, maybe not. But we challenged him to throw over us.

Third.. by not bringing pressure on the QB, you literally are putting more pressure on the secondary and these suspect safeties.

IMO, pressure verse coverage concerns is a chicken or the egg conversation.. IMO, Capers isn't sold that his pressure (lack of effective blitzers minus Kampman and now Matthews) weren't getting home quick enough and he choose to try and protect his weakness in the secondary..

Personally, if I can get effective pressure on the QB, I care less who I stick deep at safety.. they only have to make the correct read and position for 3 to 5 seconds (ball in the air) verses 6 to 9 seconds...
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
packfan4
14 years ago

We did a great job against AP but we had no answer for Favre, the key to stopping Favre is bringing the heat and I hope we do that when we see them again in less than 2 weeks.

"pack93z" wrote:

I don't think that Bigby was the reason we didn't bring a ton of heat on Favre.

We played gap control defense in that game.. the goal was to take away Peterson and make Favre beat you. And Brett did.. but a couple of side notes to that.

One, by not allowing AP to get rolling, we were able to get the defense off the field some and where still pretty fresh late in that game to make crucial stops.

Up til that game, Brett had been spotty with his deep ball.. maybe possum, maybe not. But we challenged him to throw over us.

Third.. by not bringing pressure on the QB, you literally are putting more pressure on the secondary and these suspect safeties.

IMO, pressure verse coverage concerns is a chicken or the egg conversation.. IMO, Capers isn't sold that his pressure (lack of effective blitzers minus Kampman and now Matthews) weren't getting home quick enough and he choose to try and protect his weakness in the secondary..

Personally, if I can get effective pressure on the QB, I care less who I stick deep at safety.. they only have to make the correct read and position for 3 to 5 seconds (ball in the air) verses 6 to 9 seconds...

"packfan4" wrote:

I didn't say Bigby was the reason we didn't bring heat on Favre, I just think Capers gameplan wasn't so hot against the Vikes. You should play gap control EVERY game, it's not a gameplan, it's a must every week. Playing your gaps is a Defensive Lineman's main and only job in the run game, especially in the 3-4. Favre literally had all the time in world to throw the ball, he was torching us in the 1st qtr and after that one play where he literally sat in the pocket for 8 seconds, we needed to change something up and bring the heat. You give Favre all day to throw the ball and he's going to carve you up, many QBs will. Put it this way with pressure vs coverage, do you have more faith in Derrick Martin or our pass rush? I'll take a chance with the pass rush, that's how you force Favre into mistakes. Derrick Martin was soley responsible for that long TD to Berrian, where he didn't even know what the play call was.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Didn't say it wasn't a mistake not to bring heat on Favre, saying it is weak to say the reason you didn't was because Bigby was out.

BTW.. Linebackers we playing gap control and not attacking them either.. it was all about staying home and filling lanes.. they sold out to stop the run. Where are you going to get blitzers?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Packers nose tackle Ryan Pickett compared Bigby to Indianapolis' Bob Sanders - an overstatement, for sure, but one that indicates just how strongly teammates feel about Bigby.

If there's one thing that drives me nuts about the Green Bay Press Gazette, it's that they have no reporters, only columnists. Every single article they write is an opinion piece, never a factual or investigative piece. I don't know why they can't just occasionally step back from their fandom soap box and just tell it to us straight. Sometimes I like the facts without the agenda.
UserPostedImage
packfan4
14 years ago

Didn't say it wasn't a mistake not to bring heat on Favre, saying it is weak to say the reason you didn't was because Bigby was out.

BTW.. Linebackers we playing gap control and not attacking them either.. it was all about staying home and filling lanes.. they sold out to stop the run. Where are you going to get blitzers?

"pack93z" wrote:

HUH? Again, never said the reason we didn't bring heat on Favre was because Bigby was out. I said Capers is most likely very hesitant to bring the heat with Martin back there but when you're getting abused as much as Martin was and Favre's jersey is as clean as it was when he put it on, you need to change up your gameplan somewhere. That's what made Bob Sanders such a horrible DC, if his Defensive gameplan didn't work, he had no counter, and no answer. Again, gap control is not something you gameplan and decide to play one week, it's the basic job of everybody on the Front 7 and you can fill your gaps while bringing the heat at the same time, hence the saying "shooting the gaps". Bring some corner blitzes, bring the safties up and blitz, bring the outside LBs, fire the ILBs, do something when the opposing QB is just sitting comfortably in the pocket carving you up. The 3-4 Defense is predicated on bringing pressure, the Steelers didn't shy away from bringing the heat without Troy Polamalu. Remember how rattled Cutler was Week 1, when the pressure was being brought from all angles yet we still held Forte to 55 yards on 25 carres. It's not one or the other, you can bring the heat and still stop the run effectively.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Packfan4... we are round about saying the same thing.. I think you like to argue. ;)

I stated, I think you bring pressure over covering for a weak link in the back end of a defense... if they can get home with some effectiveness and consistency..
gijoe82
14 years ago
The importance of Atari Bigby? Well answer me this name one starter you can say it would be ok to lose. Lee doesnt count as Finley is essentially a starter :icon_smile:
And lets not start some ted bashing session over this question. I am sure you ask any team this question and you will get the same answer.
Point is you dont want to lose any starter, and while bigbys impact is clearly felt when he is on the field I think that is more a lack of depth at the safety position than the great play of one Atari Bigby.
I have been screaming this for since bigby went down that woody should have been moved to safety and let Williams start.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

Again, gap control is not something you gameplan and decide to play one week, it's the basic job of everybody on the Front 7 and you can fill your gaps while bringing the heat at the same time, hence the saying "shooting the gaps". Bring some corner blitzes, bring the safties up and blitz, bring the outside LBs, fire the ILBs, do something when the opposing QB is just sitting comfortably in the pocket carving you up. The 3-4 Defense is predicated on bringing pressure, the Steelers didn't shy away from bringing the heat without Troy Polamalu. Remember how rattled Cutler was Week 1, when the pressure was being brought from all angles yet we still held Forte to 55 yards on 25 carres. It's not one or the other, you can bring the heat and still stop the run effectively.

"packfan4" wrote:

If you get linebackers firing all over the place you are going to create cutback lanes and natural holes in the defense.. watch the film again.. they we very specific in where they played and how deep they played.. they made sure that they stayed home to make sure all lanes where filled.

Firing guys all over the places gets players out of position.. hence the difference between a run blitz and a pass blitz.. the intentions are different.. again.. they sold out to play the run first then drop off into shallow and wide zone drops.. they designed the game to take away the run and Favre's short passes that he lived on up to that point of the season.

Oh, BTW.. I think they should have made adjustments sooner in that game though.. once Favre proved that he could throw over them.. they should have adjusted.. they didn't. So again, I agree with you.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.