14 years ago
I'm all about Best too. I think he would be a massive steal for us, if he slips down the board.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
Ryan Grant has been great this season. We shouldn't draft a RB early. You know why? We're gonna need depth on a shitload of positions, and we're gonna risk a lot if we go RB early. Right now we need at least one OT, one G, one DE, and one safety. And a cornerback, another OT and a OLB wouldn't hurt either.
This is a placeholder
14 years ago
Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not concerned about the RB position at all, really. I just want a dynamic weapon to supplement the well run offense with good players at each position. Best is a serious weapon who can make things happen beyond the execution of the offensive scheme.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
I just want someone to counter Percy Harvin. I want that big threat out of the backfield. I'm not saying make him the starter. I'm saying bring him in to complement Ryan Grant. That would be a great 1-2 punch.

Also, if Spiller is somehow still around at our pick, I think we HAVE to take him. If we didn't I don't know what I would do. I would be SO pissed off.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Walter Football 

23 - Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

Aaron Rodgers has received much better pass protection since losing to the Buccaneers, but relying on Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher for another year is not a good idea. Green Bay's No. 1 priority this offseason is finding a top-notch left tackle for Rodgers.

I missed a week, but by losing our last game and moving one spot up the draft chart again, we went back from Barksdale to Bulaga. Something I prefer. If Bulaga is gone, I'd rather take a long look at Jerry Hughes than reach on a tackle like Barksdale.

Bulaga is fine by me, this late in the 1st round.

NFL Draft Dog 

26 - OLB/DE Brandon Graham, Michigan

Graham would be the perfect fit in the Packers 34 defense. He could play OLB opposite Clay Mathews.

Graham has been super productive this year, ranked #1 in the nation with 26 tackles for loss (TFL) and 10.5 sacks.

With Hughes being long gone in this mock draft by 26, this would be a great value pick. Apparently, he can get to the QB quite well and has progressed every year in college. Who knows where he can go?

Draft Countdown 

26 - Green Bay Packers, Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

Shoddy offensive line play has absolutely killed the Packers at times in 2009, which is ironic because they have actually invested quite a few draft resources on blockers over the years. Unfortunately most of those picks have been devoted to interior guys and they have neglected the tackle position. Chad Clifton is now in his mid-30s and once again battling injuries so its time to bring in a top talent to groom as his successor. Iowas Bryan Bulaga isnt the elite pro prospect that some have made him out to be, at least not yet, but he could be a factor in the mid-to-late first round if he opts to go pro after his junior season. A good but not great athlete with prototypical size and long arms, Bulaga is a solid all-around blocker who can hold his own as a pass protector and also maul in the run game. A local Midwest product, Bulaga would be an ideal fit in Green Bay, where he could begin his career on the right side before eventually replacing Clifton at left tackle. The additions of B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews in round one last year were a very good start but the Packers still need some more help on defense too as they continue their conversion to a 3-4 scheme.

This one finally updated again. We drop 6 spots, but still get dealt Bulaga. I think I've said enough about him.

Football's Future 

26 - Green Bay - Charles Brown, OT, USC

Keeping Aaron Rodgers healthy and on the field is a must for the Packers to continue to improve. Chad Clifton isnt getting any younger and isnt the best pass blocker regardless. Brown is an excellent athlete that has the toughness to fit in. He may need a little work and some time to bulk up, but Brown has the ability to be a very solid left tackle.

I don't see Brown falling to the 26 spot. Just like I don't see Spiller dropping to 21, where this site had him mocked to us, as well.

Maybe this is possibility if Brown does something horrible at the combine. Something like posting low on all the agility drills. That'd hurt him tremendously, as he's known as an athletic guy, having played TE before converting to an OT.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Walter Football 

24 - Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

Aaron Rodgers has received much better pass protection since losing to the Buccaneers, but relying on Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher for another year is not a good idea. Green Bay's No. 1 priority this offseason is finding a top-notch left tackle for Rodgers.

Still Bulaga. Still great value for the draft spot. Still a great pick.

NFL Draft Dog 

26 - RB Jahvid Best, California (JR)

Best (5' 10" 195 lbs) is extremely productive, strong and fast.

The Packers need a franchise type running back and Best could be the guy.

I'd still love a guy like Spiller or Best, but with the emergence of Brandon Jackson, I doubt that we'll invest a 1st round pick in one of those kind of guys.

With Mike Iupati and Bruce Campbell still on the board in this mock draft, I have to think that one of those would be the pick. Especially Campbell would be too good to pass up on.

Football's Future 

26 - Green Bay - Charles Brown, OT, USC

The Pack did well with a Trojan on defense last year with Clay Matthews in the first round, so they decide to go back to Southern California for their top pick this year. Brown is a very good pass blocker but also plays with a toughness that allows him to make up for his lack of bulk. He will need to pack on some weight in the NFL, but his ability as a pass protector will make Aaron Rodgers very happy.

Same guy, different write-up. If he somehow falls to the 26th pick, we could declare this draft an A already.

Draft Ace 

23 - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

The Packers have allowed a league-leading 50 sacks this season. A good number of those are due to Aaron Rodgers' tendency to hang on to the football far too long, but the offensive line could certainly be upgraded. Trent Williams has really struggled at left tackle this season, but on the right side in 2008 he was among the most dominant in the college game. Despite the poor performance this season, he still have potential and the Packers are one of the teams that may be willing to take a risk.

This pick is a very risky one. You have Bulaga on the board, someone who will most likely be a solid tackle, and you have Trent Williams, someone with tons of potential but has been struggling immensely this year at LT.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
I don't like the idea of picking a "risky" player in the 1st round. That is what the 5-7 rounds are for.
In the 1st round I want a guy who is going to be a starter. (Or in Rodgers case when drafting for the future and not need, a guy who is going to be a starter some day.)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I don't like the idea of picking a "risky" player in the 1st round. That is what the 5-7 rounds are for.
In the 1st round I want a guy who is going to be a starter. (Or in Rodgers case when drafting for the future and not need, a guy who is going to be a starter some day.)

"wpr" wrote:

I agree to a certain extent. You don't want to come out of the first round with a bust, obviously. You can suffer a huge setback by just one pick, if your division opponents do draft well.

On the other side, you have a prospect who has the upside to turn into a, for instance, Jason Peters. An elite tackle in the league. One who you can match up with Jared Allen and feel comfortable about.

Then again, that same guy can be a Gosder Cherilus, stuck on the right side of that line and most likely on your bench or on another team after a year or three.

I'd be happy with Bulaga. I think he'd be a good tackle in this league. I just don't know how good. I don't know how high his ceiling is. You don't want to spent a first rounder on an average guy, either. Especially not if you're in the division with the Vikings. And building a franchise starts at the lines, anyway.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
I was speaking mainly about Trent Williams "Despite the poor performance this season, he still have potential and the Packers are one of the teams that may be willing to take a risk."

Campbell is another iffy pick.
OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland (JR) "Campbell is a little raw, but the Cardinals really need to upgrade the tackle position."
"Bruce Campbell is a boom-or-bust prospect, but he's sure to be selected earlier than his collegiate performance would indicate due to his size and strength. "

One of the mock draft sites say that the OL is pretty weak this year. I just don't want GB selecting a 3rd round talent in the 1st because they need to fill a hole.

Several of the "experts" have GB taking the 5th best OT. It concerns me as to the quality of the player. He may be someone who would still be around in the 2nd round.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I was speaking mainly about Trent Williams "Despite the poor performance this season, he still have potential and the Packers are one of the teams that may be willing to take a risk."

Campbell is another iffy pick.
OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland (JR) "Campbell is a little raw, but the Cardinals really need to upgrade the tackle position."
"Bruce Campbell is a boom-or-bust prospect, but he's sure to be selected earlier than his collegiate performance would indicate due to his size and strength. "

One of the mock draft sites say that the OL is pretty weak this year. I just don't want GB selecting a 3rd round talent in the 1st because they need to fill a hole.

Several of the "experts" have GB taking the 5th best OT. It concerns me as to the quality of the player. He may be someone who would still be around in the 2nd round.

"wpr" wrote:

That's true. I don't want us to reach. I'd rather have us trade back and address another need a bit earlier on or trade up and get an elite tackle.

That said, if we do have Brown on the board at 23, I think the risk can be justified. He's pretty much in the same boat. Too light to play LT immediatly. Like you quoted, the risk is pretty high, but he's a first round talent, already, and that's at his current weigth. He's amazingly agile for an OT. I think that, with a proffesional staff, he could bulk up a bit and be an elite tackle for times to come.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (7h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (22h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (22h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (23h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (23h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.