Stevetarded
14 years ago

If we were signing Ahman as our feature back, you'd have a point. We are using him as a 3rd RB. I don't see that as being desperate at all. Injuries can force these types of moves too.

"yooperfan" wrote:

I would think that in 5 years of drafting by Ted, we wouldn't have to be digging through the scrap heaps for players.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Requirements to fill out the roster mid-season due to injuries are a completely separate issue.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Oh really, explain that to me please.
Why do we have a taxi squad (practice squad to you youngsters)?

Are the guys that Ted drafted that are on there not good enough to play ( Lumpkin for example)?

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

So your issue is, why didn't we bring Lumpkin up? Or why is Lumpkin on the PS and not Ahman Green, if Green is our best option at this point in time to fill in?
I think those questions answer themselves, actually, with a little dose of common sense.

Practice squads could also be considered "scrap heaps", seeing as any team has the ability to take a player from them and put them on their roster.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Is Ahman Green our best option?
Apparently.
A little common sense tells you Green is not eligible for the practice squad so why pose the question.
Practice squads could be considered the 'scrap heap" except that they are young players whom you considered good enough to not release outright as they may be future players.

"wils0646" wrote:

But they weren't considered good enough that you either didn't think any other team would bother with them or you didn't really care if another team took them.
blank
14 years ago

If we were signing Ahman as our feature back, you'd have a point. We are using him as a 3rd RB. I don't see that as being desperate at all. Injuries can force these types of moves too.

"yooperfan" wrote:

I would think that in 5 years of drafting by Ted, we wouldn't have to be digging through the scrap heaps for players.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Requirements to fill out the roster mid-season due to injuries are a completely separate issue.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Are the guys that Ted drafted that are on there not good enough to play ( Lumpkin for example)?

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

So your issue is, why didn't we bring Lumpkin up? Or why is Lumpkin on the PS and not Ahman Green, if Green is our best option at this point in time to fill in?
I think those questions answer themselves, actually, with a little dose of common sense.

Practice squads could also be considered "scrap heaps", seeing as any team has the ability to take a player from them and put them on their roster.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Apparently.
A little common sense tells you Green is not eligible for the practice squad so why pose the question.
Practice squads could be considered the 'scrap heap" except that they are young players whom you considered good enough to not release outright as they may be future players.

"wils0646" wrote:

Precisely.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago
I don't disagree with the signing so much but I have to wonder why are we in this situation to begin with. Brandon Jackson was supposed to be the 3rd down back but he is oft-injured. Wynn is now hurt but was he really the Answer anyhow? Grant is a average NFL running back nothing more.

The depth at RB is thin, just like the Depth of the O-Line and Safety.

Yet, some will try to lead you to believe that this team is full of Depth and talent. Where the hell is it? Was Wynn that massive depth and untapped talent?

This team is not deep by any means and what good is Talent if it never comes to fruition. There is way to much "averageness" on this team. Marginal players that are labeled "big talents" more often or not fall by the wayside and dissappear into NFL obscurity. Wynn, Jackson are nothing more than decent players that are a dime a dozen, backing up a run-of-the-mill starting RB.

Most positions on this team are sadly in the same state.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I thought there were a lot of RB's to be picked out there. I remember reading that if a team doesn't have a true #1 RB that its the fault of the GM or something like that.

We have a good RB in Grant, although he needs an OL to be effective and carries.

gomerPyle said it ... our depth at RB is ... thin. I'll spark something I don't care for, but with Jackson seemingly roughed up often, Wynn finishing every year on IR ... why didn't we see MORE of Lumpkin and Sutton in the pre season? Find out exactly what we have with them boys. Prepare them for the season?

I'll agree OL, RB and S = weak in the depth department. Solid starters, but weak depth.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

"yooperfan" wrote:

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

"yooperfan" wrote:

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Apparently.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Precisely.

"wils0646" wrote:

What!!!!!!!!!!
14 years ago
It's sad that safety is on that list after it looked like we had great depth there, but I agree with your top 3, and I think those need to be priorities going forward.

The list isn't as long as it used to be at least. I remember the days when I was happy with about 8 people on the roster.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
The concerns with Green are health and speed.

If he gets to play it most of it will likely be on 3rd and long.

If he gets the ball most lilikely it will be on check done passes where no one else is available.

If he ever runs the ball it will be one of those draw plays on third and hopeless.

With Jackson out Wynn had only 6 carries or 1/game.

With 10 games left Green may only 10 carries. He has to average 4.6 yards to get Jim Taylor's record by the end of the season.

It may be possible which would make Ahman very grateful.

The Packer braintrust likes him better than Lumpkin. How bad can this move be?
blank
djcubez
14 years ago

Green's role still up in the air
The Packers didn't bring Ahman Green back to Green Bay just to rekindle fond memories of days gone by. The way we hear it, if he continues to look the way he did in a workout two days before he signed a one-year deal to rejoin the team, the second leading rusher in franchise history could figure prominently in the Packers' ground game moving forward. However, team insiders believe that could be a pretty big "if," considering the 32-year-old Green has been able to play in only 14 games the past two seasons due to an assortment of injuries. If Green can regain even close to his prior form, he figures to help a Packers running attack that has been hindered by featured back Ryan Grant's lack of explosiveness and the injury issues that continue to plague swing back Brandon Jackson, who missed the first four games this season because of a sprained ankle. But whether Green primarily spells Grant or steals touches from Jackson in third-down duty remains to be seen.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/10/22/greens-role-with-packers-up-in-air 

So apparently he looked really good in the workout--has anyone seen him practice yet?

Green Bay Packers running back Ahman Green says injuries weren't the only thing that kept him from living up to expectations in Houston. Green, who signed a deal to return to Green Bay on Wednesday after being cut by the Texans in February, says emotional turmoil within his family affected his ability to focus on football the past two seasons. Green says his relationship with his daughters was "on the rocks," and he was hit hard by the death of his father. But Green now says his relationship with daughters Ahmani, 12, and Myahni, 7, has greatly improved and he is completely focused after rejoining the Packers.

This is interesting also. He's focused now? That could be a good thing for our running game. I'm not saying he'll go back to his old form but he could still be a boost or change of pace from Grant.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Even acting as a kick in the pants for Grant would be a success, IMO.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Heh, if our 3rd-string running back making the veterans' minimum was able to make a push for primary reps on game day, I'd consider that a resounding success. I can't see the coaching staff giving such an arrangement a serious thought, much less an actual try, though.
UserPostedImage