nerdmann
14 years ago

Yep... all a figment of the imagination ..

Again Solid Player.. but makes little impact around the line of scrimmage and plays like a Barnett junior.. makes tackles 3 to 7 yards past the line of scrimmage..

But carry on with the dramatics... no one is saying he "sucks".. never uttered that phrase in my days... could he play better, more aggressively and make impact hits.. you bet.

All I want is some of the OSU intensity he played with.. not this sitting on his heels (for Foster) and waiting for everything.

You notice the broken record type effect with this.. I knew I shouldn't have hopped into this thread.. some can't handle when players are criticized for play without taking it to the "he sucks" limit.

"dd80forever" wrote:

I understand you Pack93. I love Hawk, I really do, but his play is not been anything more than decent. Not the impact player we thought he was going to be.

"pack93z" wrote:

People bitch about Ted Thompson taking the risk of drafting Harrell. Then they bitch about him "playing it safe" by taking a guy like Hawk, who had little to no downside. Bottom line, people just like to bitch.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

The performance of our LBrs shouldn't even be a big topic of conversation right now, especially after holding Peterson to 2.2 ypc. I feel like this is just fallout from last season when we couldn't get enough of attacking them. As a group they are performing admirably.

"gijoe82" wrote:

+1 smartest thing said in this thread

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I agree. Unlike last year, the defense hasn't cost us a game yet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

Last season
- I really like barnett (till his injury)
- didnt like hawk - thought he was always late to the ball and he covered worse then a wet paper bag.
- Liked chillar alot even thou he had a few blown coverages (was aggressive).

This year
- dying to see bishop on the field; but hes getting no reps ... ya I know he did well in preseason and its not the same as reg. season. But lets get him some reps come on ... just to see how he does. When you are up 20+ on detroit; its time to stick in some guys just to see what they can do.
and ya my perception could change if he say plays for 20 snaps and is crap. (prefer a bigger sample thou).

- hawk ... actually doing better then last year IMO. See him around the ball more and appears to be more aggressive
- barnett - To be honest I think he's slow since his surgery; hes got alright coverage skills but as far as penetration or rushing the passer. Much worse then all our other backs.
- Chillar - still doing quiet well; and shined vs chicago. Got played vs MN since he was lined up a wideout and they were playing him like a safety (obviously he might not be able to cover a WR that well). Still key to this defense thou IMO.
- Kampman - Doing a adequate job considering what the coaches are calling him to do. If only they would let him rush the passer more.
- Matthews - star of our LB core so far IMO. Great start for the guy's first season. Great pass rusher and go getter. Got to love the AP strip and score.

If it were me picking which backers play ...

Chillar on passing downs or on rushing downs/splitting time with hawk which is used more for running plays.

Bishop used for running downs and rushing downs; barnett when wanting another coverage guy. (again my opinion could change once I see bishop in some games) ... but the guy was a stud in preseason. Hello 2 int a sack and the most tackles out of all players.

"Dulak" wrote:

I agree. Hopefully, we'll see Bishop and Flynn this week...
nerdmann
14 years ago

Hawk wants to return to Packers next season 

by Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Regardless of his current role, linebacker A.J. Hawk says he would like to remain with the Packers beyond this season.

That decision, though, almost surely will come down to whether hes willing to take a major pay cut from the $4.1 million hes scheduled to make in base salary next year.

Hawk, who has played only in the Packers base defense the last two games, was on the field for only nine snaps against the Detroit Lions last week because defensive coordiator Dom Capers deployed nickel personnel most of the game.

Its a given the Packers wont bring back Hawk next year at that pay. They presumably would ask him to take a pay cut before releasing him, and if they do, it will be up to Hawk to accept their new offer or force them to cut him so he can sign with another club.

I dont know, if that happens well cross that bridge when we come to it, Hawk said of a pay cut. I like it here. Definitely. Regardless of how many reps Im getting right now I still want to be here. Id much rather be not playing as much as Id like on a good winning team and a solid organization than starting for a team going 2-14.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Hawk's going to do and say all the right things. That's the type of guy he is. He's not going to create a controversy.
nerdmann
14 years ago

I don't agree having Chillar over Hawk. Hawk IMO is more balanced than him. I like Chillar, but when Hawk is on the field you know he isn't going to screw it up. This situation bothers me, I hope we can get Hawk on the field more.

"Patlee22" wrote:

Chillar's role is in coverage. Hawk's role is more to play the run. Chillar got more time against Detroit, because their passing game was much more of a threat.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

People bitch about Ted Thompson taking the risk of drafting Harrell. Then they bitch about him "playing it safe" by taking a guy like Hawk, who had little to no downside. Bottom line, people just like to bitch.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Yep they sure do.
UserPostedImage
Patlee22
14 years ago
Hmm...seems like the more we win and the larger lead we have on the opposing team, the less Hawk will see the field. I can't help but be bothered by him not being on the field, he does a very good job at defending the run and he does a solid job in pass coverage. Other than not making much plays he does a solid job. I guess you can't win with everyone...
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

I'm not bitching about the picks at all. Hawk was a no brainer with the 5th overall pick. Especially with Na'il gone.

I'm not bitching about Harrell, either. Go and see Foster's 'once in a decade talent' threads. Yes, he was injury prone already, but not anymore than a Crabtree or anything. We just had bad luck, if you ask me.

We're mainly bitching about how Hawk turned out. It was a great pick, but we expected a lot more from him than what he's giving us. Normally I'm not too bothered by that (It's a shame, of course, but he's no bust at least), but at the salary that we're currently giving him, I am.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
There is a lot of bashing of Hawk. I agree that as a number 5 pick he has been a little disappointing. But there were not a lot of choices available to GB in that draft. You always hope for a special player when you get a top 5 pick. But there were a lot of people before the draft saying not to expect too much.
I seem to recall that on draft day it was almost unanimous among Packer fans that Hawk was the player they wanted Uncle Teddy to select.
Now that it is hindsight who would you have wanted to take?

Round one
Pick #   	NFL Team   	Player   	Position   	
1 	Houston Texans 	        Mario Williams 	Defensive End
2 	New Orleans Saints 	Reggie Bush  	Running back 
3 	Tennessee Titans 	Vince Young 	Quarterback
4 	New York Jets 	        D'Brickashaw Ferguson 	Offensive Tackle
5 	Green Bay Packers 	A. J. Hawk 	Linebacker
6 	San Francisco 49ers 	Vernon Davis 	Tight End 
7 	Oakland Raiders 	Michael Huff 	Safety 
8 	Buffalo Bills 	        Donte Whitner 	Safety 
9 	Detroit Lions 	        Ernie Sims 	Linebacker 
10 	Arizona Cardinals 	Matt Leinart  	Quarterback
11 	Denver Broncos  	Jay Cutler 	Quarterback 
12 	Baltimore Ravens  	Haloti Ngata 	Defensive Tackle 
13 	Cleveland Browns 	Kamerion Wimbley Defensive End 
14 	Philadelphia Eagles 	Brodrick Bunkley Defensive Tackle 
15 	St. Louis Rams  	    Tye Hill 	Cornerback 
16 	Miami Dolphins 	        Jason Allen 	Safety 
17 	Minnesota Vikings 	Chad Greenway 	Linebacker 
18 	Dallas Cowboys 	        Bobby Carpenter Linebacker 
19 	San Diego Chargers 	Antonio CromartieCornerback
20 	Kansas City Chiefs 	Tamba Hali 	Defensive End 
21 	New England Patriots 	Laurence MaroneyRunning back 
22 	San Francisco 49ers  	Manny Lawson 	Linebacker 
23 	Tampa Bay Buc   	Davin Joseph 	Guard 
24 	Cincinnati Bengals 	Johnathan Joseph Cornerback 
25 	Pittsburgh Steelers  	Santonio Holmes Wide Receiver 
26 	Buffalo Bills  	        John McCargo 	D Tackle
27 	Carolina Panthers 	DeAngelo WilliamsRunning back 
28 	Jacksonville Jaguars 	Marcedes Lewis 	Tight End 
29 	New York Jets  	        Nick Mangold 	Center 
30 	Indianapolis Colts 	Joseph Addai 	Running back
31 	Seattle Seahawks 	Kelly Jennings 	Cornerback 
32 	New York Giants 	Mathias Kiwanuka Defensive End 

I seem to recall that on draft day it was almost unanimous among Packer fans that Hawk was the player they wanted Uncle Teddy to select.
Now that it is hindsight who would you have wanted to take?

Here are the players who have made it to the Pro Bowl along with the players GB had on the 2006 team. Each of them has made it one time since being drafted.
GB certainly did not need Cutler or Cromartie.
Joseph and Mangold are fine selections but with the #5 pick you always hope to get an impact player.
It would have been nice to have picked DeAngelo but since they had Green it just doesn't seem a need.

Jay Cutler QB 1 Pro Bowl Favre, Rodgers
Antonio Cromartie CB 1 Pro Bowl Woodson, Harris
Davin Joseph OG 1 Pro Bowl Spitz, Colledge drafted in 2006 as well.
DeAngelo Williams RB 1 Pro Bowl A. Green
Nick Mangold C 1 Pro Bowl Scott Wells
Joseph Addai RB 1 Pro Bowl A. Green
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I wanted an was happy with the Hawk selection. Still am fine with it too. To answer your question, which I think is very easy. Haloti Ngata.
UserPostedImage