Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Green Bay Packers defeat Cleveland Browns 31-3

By Pete Dougherty pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com October 25, 2009

CLEVELAND Its not often an NFL defense allows only three total points in back-to-back games.

The Green Bay Packers have to go back 43 years, to 1966 and the heart of the Vince Lombardi era, for the last time they gave up so few points in back to back games. So their 31-3 blasting of the Cleveland Browns on Sunday at Cleveland Browns Stadium a week after shutting out the Detroit Lions has to count for something.

On the other hand, they accomplished it against two of the NFLs worst and most offensively challenged teams. The shutout of Detroit last week came against a one-win team missing its two best offensive players (Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford). The more dominating performance on Sunday was over a Browns offense that has no go-to player and has produced only 16 points in its last three games combined.

What to make of it? Well, probably not all that much.

But that doesnt stop the world from looking much better to the 4-2 Packers than a few weeks ago. They at least can feel good about how theyre playing heading into their rematch with the Minnesota Vikings (6-1) knowing that a win at Lambeau Field this week ties the two in the loss column for first place in the NFC North Division.

You know what? Every teams got some of that, outside linebacker Aaron Kampman said of the Packers caliber of competition the last two weeks. Minnesota already played Cleveland and Detroit. I think Chicago has played Detroit.

In the end, we got some confidence going. Football is a game of confidence. Right now were playing at a pretty high level. I think weve figured some things out in terms of how we want to best utlize our personnel, weve made some tweaks and it seems to be effective for us. So hopefully, that will continue against a team (Minnesota) youd say is a little higher up the chart in terms of where they rank in offenses in the NFL.

As for this game, the mismatch was total for the Packers defense over the Browns quarterback-starved offense. The Browns (1-6) came in ranked No. 31 in the NFL in yards and No. 30 in points, and with a quarterback, Derek Anderson, whose passer rating of 41.7 points ranked No. 36 in the NFL.

We arent good right now, Anderson said. Thats it. Period. Flat out.

The mismatch was exacerbated because the Browns used their Wildcat formation only once. In that formation, their lone playmaker, Josh Cribbs, takes the snap and at least has a chance to make something happen. They presumably didnt use it more because of Cribbs health he was listed as questionable (50 percent chance of playing) coming in because of a knee injury.

I thought (theyd use Wildcat a lot), as much as they ran it against Pittsburgh (last week), Packers safety Atari Bigby said. It probably had to do with Josh Cribbs being banged up a little.

Theres evidence galore for how one-sided this game was when Cleveland had the ball, most notably in Andersons passing production (99 yards) and passer rating (36.4 points), but also in the Browns average of 2.8 yards a rush.

Yet more than numbers, one play call might have been the ultimate measure. Late in the first quarter, the Browns faced a second-and-1 on their 40, a down and distance offensive coordinators live for. What did they do? A quarterback sneak. If thats not raising the white flag, what is?

That tells you they didnt have any confidence theyd be able to run and get it, nose tackle Ryan Pickett said.

Bigby said: They seemed like a conservative team today. Real conservative.

Defensive coordinator Dom Capers strategy was simple: Stack the line of scrimmage and force Anderson and his receivers to win the game. The score and Clevelands embarrasing 139 yards in total offense tell everything you need to know about how it worked.

As the first quarter passed and it was clear the Browns would keep pounding the ball regardless of how far behind they fell, Capers turned more and more to his Big Okie lineup, in which linebacker Brandon Chillar replaced Bigby. Regardless of personnel, Capers usually brought an extra player to the box (Bigby) or, in Chillars case in the 12 snaps of Big Okie, all the way to the line of scrimmage.

That left halfback Jamal Lewis with no running room he averaged 3.1 yards on his 15 carries and the outside receivers matched one-on-one against cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris, with only safety Nick Collins as single help on the deep ball. Anderson tried to hit rookie receiver Mohamed Massaquoi on go routes against Harris four times, and came up empty on each, and on the only one they connected on, Massaquoi was penalized for his obvious push-off before the catch.

I felt like our defense took the fight from them early, Pickett said. You hit them in the mouth to start the game, it made it long for them, took the fans out of the game, took everybody out. Thats what the defense is supposed to do.

[img]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20091025&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=91025020&Ref=V1&Profile=1058&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0[/img]
UserPostedImage
shield4life
14 years ago
What's our chances to extend that streak to three instead of 2 so the next time people discuss on this forum it would be our kids or probably grand children 🙂 .
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Porforis
14 years ago

What's our chances to extend that streak to three instead of 2 so the next time people discuss on this forum it would be our kids or probably grand children 🙂 .

"shield4life" wrote:

I would give my firstborn son to cannibals to have a shutout next week.
gijoe82
14 years ago
Hey drivel, isnt it time to replace your boxing signature?
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
When the beat the Vikings next week, I promise I'll change it.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Did you the whole thing?
Scythe
14 years ago

"Porforis" wrote:

Did you the whole thing?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Is this dangerous?
blank
djcubez
14 years ago

"Scythe" wrote:

Did you the whole thing?

"Porforis" wrote:

Is this dangerous?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

[Insert spelling error here]
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.