Zero2Cool
14 years ago
The talk about Greg's lack of production is from double teaming, teams focusing on him, etc. Garbage.

Greg's my favorite WR in the game right now. Fact is, he's just not getting open and it's nothing to do with double teams. He's being singled quite a bit if you watch him. My problem with him is he's spending too much time whining about catches he didn't make than making plays.

The pass in the end zone last game that was over his head. Right away, he looks at the ref and starts complaining. When did this start? Why? It's very bothersome to me because I expect much more from him. You missed the ball, or bad throw, move forward. Next play.

I don't think he's giving 100% on a consistent basis.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
14 years ago

The talk about Greg's lack of production is from double teaming, teams focusing on him, etc. Garbage.

Greg's my favorite WR in the game right now. Fact is, he's just not getting open and it's nothing to do with double teams. He's being singled quite a bit if you watch him. My problem with him is he's spending too much time whining about catches he didn't make than making plays.

The pass in the end zone last game that was over his head. Right away, he looks at the ref and starts complaining. When did this start? Why? It's very bothersome to me because I expect much more from him. You missed the ball, or bad throw, move forward. Next play.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I'll give you that he's getting double teamed and focused on quite a bit, but not every play. He doesn't seem to be getting much separation even in man-to-man. It's frustrating, that's for sure.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"doddpower" wrote:

I'll give you that he's getting double teamed and focused on quite a bit, but not every play. He doesn't seem to be getting much separation even in man-to-man. It's frustrating, that's for sure.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

huh?
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
its no big deal ... we got 6 capable receivers on our team. Arod is going to throw it (or his intention is) to the guy that is open (that he can get it too).

We just paid jennings mega bucks to stay on our team - so guess whom the other team will be covering with their best corner?

The nice thing is Driver is just as good (least thats what we are seeing) - if not better then jennings.

If they start covering driver more; then jennings gets it and away we go.
doddpower
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

huh?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Sorry. Perhaps my early morning typing after a night full of drinking Jack Daniels isn't working very well. My head's swimming!

What I was saying was it seems as if Jennings isn't doing a good job of getting separation from corners even in man-to-man coverage. I've noticed Cleavland was jamming him a lot at the line of scrimmage and that appeared to totally throw him off.

Maybe we should try sending him in motion more to avoid the jam? I always remember Dallas doing that with TO in '07 to avoid Al Harris jamming him at the line and forcing us to play mostly zone. Worked really well. Driver's just too manly to be phased by the jam. 🙂
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
But you said something about that you would give me that he's being double teamed and focused on and I don't think I was leading into that and was leading the opposite direction.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
Excellent analysis, beast. Full of information to back up your theory. You get a big +1 for that.

As to why there has been a drop-off this year, I think a lot of it has to do with opportunities. Rodgers, for whatever reason, hasn't looked Jennings' way quite as much. I'm sure part of it is defenses treating him like a #1. We've also had some games where the offense is struggling to "click", and Driver is a great scrappy WR to throw to when it's time to fight for yards and points. I have a feeling it will balance out throughout the season. It's really a coin flip who will end up with more yards.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Lets go beyond the talk and use the numbers to validate what I believe to be the culprits to Greg's decline in numbers.

First notice that our offensive numbers are up from last season in total yards, both in passing and rushing.

We all know the struggles of the offensive line early and for most of the season.. spare one game. That dictates different and more protection packages and quicker check downs and throws.

So if your production is up, and protection is down and the sets contain more tight ends and backs, it must provide a clue.

Through 6 games, we can blame the emergence of Finley and Havner to a direct correlation of decreases in production numbers of Nelson, Jones and yes Jennings. The only one that seems to have escaped the number crunch.. Driver.. whom works the intermediate routes? Driver.

So for Evad.. this, IMO, is a product of several items that is leading to a decrease in production of a player and or group of players.

See the numbers below.

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
BTW.. Jennings was whining a little yesterday about his lack of involvement and "his number of touches".. he stated this isn't some ego things.

First.. yes it is a ego thing.. our overall numbers are up, are wins are up, we are the most explosive scoring team in the league.

Yet, he is mildly complaining about his touches.. personally I understand it, but yet, why publicly mention it at all? Sour grapes it sounded like to me.. he did say "their" drops were part of the reason.

Heard the clip on the radio last night coming back from the doctors office..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago

A lot of people are asking what's up with Jennings disappearing... and it's true averaging less than 60 yards when just last year he was averaging more than 80. While he's numbers have gone way down and it's going to be close weather he passes 1,000 yards on his current pace but I don't think Jennings just disappeared I think there is another reason for his numbers going down.

I think that other teams are finally defending Jennings like a number one receiver. In years past even last year other teams were defending Driver like he was the number one receiver. Why do I think this? Well Driver and Jennings have combine to average about 140 yards per game ever season since Jennings 2nd year in 2007 and this is true for this year as the two are averaging just over 139 yards per game. So Jennings yards are down more than 20 per game but Drivers yards are up over 15 per game. So thats about minus 5 yards per games difference.

Last year Driver had 1012 yards. Currently Jennings is on pace for 949 yards. Last year Jennings had 1292 yards. Driver is currently on pace for 1277 yards. Thats minus 78 yards total in the season. So where is that minus 5 yards per game and totally of 78 yards going? The tight ends. Six games in Finley has gotten over forty times the amount of yards he got last year and Lee is over half way to the number of yards he got last year again only six games in.

"beast" wrote:

Bingo! You figured it out.

Simple fact - we have 11 guys on the field, they have 11 guys on the field. So now Jennings is getting the double teams and Driver is one on one. Double cover both of them and you'll be rushing practically no one and Aaron will have all the time in the world to find an open receiver. So you're stuck double covering either Jennings or Driver, or even more dumb - single-covering both of them.

Ds pick their poison. They're thinking Jennings will hurt them more than Driver. Let them think that and now watch Driver hurt them.

EDIT: Whoa! I was wrong. It's not Driver vs Jennings, it's WRs vs TEs. Aaron is becoming more like Brett and hitting TEs more.

Good find, Pack.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷