warhawk
14 years ago
I say you don't change nothin'.

Rodgers is #1 in the nfl in YPA. That's yards per attempt for those that don't know. Why would you do something else and wouldn't life be grand if it were as simple as just throwing the ball short most the time?

To be where Rodgers is requires balance. The short pass feeds the long pass and the long pass benefits the short pass. If a defender has to play it straight up not knowing whether or not the WR may try burning him deep that HELPS the short pass.

You want to see Rodgers numbers go DOWN? Just have them change up what they are doing. There's a much greater chess match going on out there than it being as simple as throwing shorter passes because the percentage looks good.

The biggest nighmare the Packer offense presents to any defense is that they can take it to the house on any given play and some here suggest going more dinky do in the passing game?

I know what I am going to hear "well, our WR's can take a quick slant to the house." You know why this is? Because the DB's are having to play us straight up. They can't afford to sneak up UNLESS all we show them is the short stuff.

The reason you let Rodgers do what he's doing is simple. BECAUSE HE CAN. You don't take a QB that can get the ball out there to people down field and put it in a jar. Especially with the receivers he has to throw it to.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
14 years ago

I say you don't change nothin'.

Rodgers is #1 in the nfl in YPA. That's yards per attempt for those that don't know. Why would you do something else and wouldn't life be grand if it were as simple as just throwing the ball short most the time?

To be where Rodgers is requires balance. The short pass feeds the long pass and the long pass benefits the short pass. If a defender has to play it straight up not knowing whether or not the WR may try burning him deep that HELPS the short pass.

"warhawk" wrote:

Agreed.. better balance means better spread of production leading to more play selection and better overall performance..

Used this in the Jennings thread.. why are the overall numbers for the receivers going down.. because the target select is becoming more balanced and even more effective than last season.

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I still think we need to change a little. Look over history, we pass short, at time for 3 qtrs to set up those long plays. I don't ever remember us throwing long in the 1st or 2nd qtr. Sure sometime, but most of the time, it was short for the first half or so. Then we would start hitting the long balls.

I am satisfied with our production, only think we could be more effective with more short routes early. They are completing almost 75% on routes that get almost 7 yards per. With them passes, we should be able to march the field easily enough until they start jumping them routes. Which is when the slant and go work so well.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
warhawk
14 years ago

I still think we need to change a little. Look over history, we pass short, at time for 3 qtrs to set up those long plays. I don't ever remember us throwing long in the 1st or 2nd qtr. Sure sometime, but most of the time, it was short for the first half or so. Then we would start hitting the long balls.

I am satisfied with our production, only think we could be more effective with more short routes early. They are completing almost 75% on routes that get almost 7 yards per. With them passes, we should be able to march the field easily enough until they start jumping them routes. Which is when the slant and go work so well.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

So if the team starts a trend of coming out short early you don't think the defense picks up on this? Looks like a recipe to get good receivers hurt. The reason we complete 75% of the short passes is because we don't show a trend in the first place. That's why ALL of the catagories are very respectable anyhow.

It's all based on the scheme your facing. The defense you are looking at dictates what your offense does. Do you have bump and run guys up in the receivers face or laying back in a zone? A team can't just go short pass to start every game if the defense is set to stop that just like you don't run over and over when the defense stays with eight in the box.

Our offense demands that teams play us straight up and hope they can stay with our receivers whether they go short or long and we are better than any other team in how many yards we gain every time the ball leaves Rodgers hands. Like I said, you change nothin'.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
warhawk's got it. the scheme is solid, but there's always room for better execution.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago

warhawk's got it. the scheme is solid, but there's always room for better execution.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Yeah, like blocking somebody which I will say we are beginning to do a better job.

You know, thinking about it, I wonder how often a team has ever led the entire NFL in YPA AND sacks? I mean that is actually pretty incredible.

This tells me McCarthy has the right thought process in challenging the Oline to do a better job vs. adapting the system to cover their ineptness.

Especially now that they have both Clifton and Tauscher standing by if things don't go well.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Funny, I don't recall a whole lot of our WR getting killed on a slant and we threw it a ton under Holmgren and Sherman. Because a slant is not just a slant. There are two pass windows on a typical slant. 1 at 3 yards and one about 7. That combined with short fades or outs is what keeps DBs honest. That is also why part of the tampa 2 was designed to try and get a LBer into that second window of the slant so the DB doesn't have to worry about it.

The sort passes work because there are a ton of options. Any WR can run them, or long which is another reason the DBs cannot play a route, and what made the 5 WR so effective in 07'
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
14 years ago
Let's not compare the offense this year to any offense further back than last year. We have a new QB, one that is less reckless and a little more mobile.
zombieslayer
14 years ago

I always say a 3 yard pass that nets 7 is better than any running game.

And so did Bill Walsh, but what does he know? He's only got 3 Lombardi's.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
14 years ago

Simple, we are good at it. Here are Rodgers splits

Pass Att. 1-10 44/60 721 yards 73.3% 12.02 YPA 7 TD 0 INT
Pass Att. 11-20 38/60 351 yards 63.3% 5.85 YPA 1 TD 1 INT
Pass Att. 21-30 25/41 422 yards 61.0% 10.29 YPA 3 TD 0 INT
Pass Att. 31+ 14/23 208 yards 60.9% 9.04 YPA 0 TD 1 INT

Not that 60% is a bad thing, but we are a team that needs to be throwing short. I always say a 3 yard pass that nets 7 is better than any running game.

What I also see is that we have our worst production per pass in the mid range 11-20. While the completion percentage is 2nd best, the yards is not good. My guess is that teams are covering that part of the field tougher.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

WCO is a proven commodity.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Exactly. Open up the deep pass with the short pass. We don't need no stinkin' running game.

Ok, maybe a little, especially with this O-line, but in theory, we shouldn't have to run it that much. I don't want us to run it much, really.

If you see his numbers on the short pass, they're pretty much comparable to Chad Pennington. And that is one hell of a compliment.

Btw, looking at these stats, you wouldn't figure that we only need something between 5 to 6 plays to get the TD. Just shows how amazing our receivers are and how well our young quarterback can dissect the blitz. Just look at last weeks game. The long TD to Driver. It shows both points in one play.

In the WCO, short passes and screens take the place of the running game. Holmgren used to consider those running plays.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (41m) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (42m) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (1h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (1h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (17h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Random Babble / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.