warhawk
14 years ago

Barbre... can't stand him. I'd like to see a serious stud LT brought in (by any means necessary) and Lang moved over to RT. Spitz gets well @ center, and you might be looking @ a real NFL o-line at that point.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I think your on the right track but it would appear the best at LT for now would be a healthy Clifton if he can perform solidly. I think it would be great if we could get Tauscher just playing respectable and let Lang work in behind him or Clifton if he goes down again. I am sure LT will be a premium focus by Thompson after the season.

It looks to me that if we want to turn this around we need to go back to the old guard, errr, tackle I mean and hope like heck Clifton and Tauscher can hold up for a half a season. I say that not knowing how Tauscher looks out there but assuming if they brought him back its because he can still play.

I see both guys playing next week but I think Mike McCarthy will want to work Tauscher in rather than throw him in as the starter. I will say this about McCarthy, he will NOT play a guy unless he's sure they are physically ready to go and has shown he will stick with the guys that can practice during the week.

I believe that bodes well for down the road and how healthy the team is in the last part of the season rather than put players in before they are healed or ready. In that we need a heck of a second half of this season his conservatism in this regard won't hurt.
"The train is leaving the station."
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

Barbre... can't stand him. I'd like to see a serious stud LT brought in (by any means necessary) and Lang moved over to RT. Spitz gets well @ center, and you might be looking @ a real NFL o-line at that point.

"warhawk" wrote:

I think your on the right track but it would appear the best at LT for now would be a healthy Clifton if he can perform solidly. I think it would be great if we could get Tauscher just playing respectable and let Lang work in behind him or Clifton if he goes down again. I am sure LT will be a premium focus by Thompson after the season.

It looks to me that if we want to turn this around we need to go back to the old guard, errr, tackle I mean and hope like heck Clifton and Tauscher can hold up for a half a season. I say that not knowing how Tauscher looks out there but assuming if they brought him back its because he can still play.

I see both guys playing next week but I think Mike McCarthy will want to work Tauscher in rather than throw him in as the starter. I will say this about McCarthy, he will NOT play a guy unless he's sure they are physically ready to go and has shown he will stick with the guys that can practice during the week.

I believe that bodes well for down the road and how healthy the team is in the last part of the season rather than put players in before they are healed or ready. In that we need a heck of a second half of this season his conservatism in this regard won't hurt.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Agreed, definitely - I was thinking more next season, since we're stuck playing the cards we have this year.
blank
wils0646
14 years ago
I think everyone is in agreement that we use a high draft pick (1 or 2) on a franchise LT next year.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Problem is that most drafted "franchise LTs" still need some seasoning.

I have no doubt that a high draft choice on a OT (or even two) will improve things...but most of benefits will come in 2011 and beyond.

Not to mention there are more weak points on the OL than one first round pick will solve.

sigh.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
14 years ago
If he comes out this season.. I wouldn't mind using a pick on Gabe Carimi.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
Well, I have also been looking at 2010 FA prospects.

Remember, the CBA "off" agreement will be more favorable for teams that don't make the playoffs- FA-wise.

What is it? Top 8 are "effectively" out of the running for FA acquisitions, correct?

I'm going to be looking into all of that when I calm down some more.

You could expect a geezer to be available.

That might be about right for us, though.

I just don't wanna hear no damn Crabtree-like talk when the draft starts rollin' in.

DanjustDan posted some stuff about some QB out of Appalachian State ...like yesterday. I read it this morning. I damn near blew a gasket, and he never even SAID anything. LOL
nerdmann
14 years ago

The Queens have some good players, but I still don't think they're a better team.

"wils0646" wrote:

They beat our ass twice and they are not the better team? That is sour grapes. Grow a pair and admit that they beat our ass.

"IronMan" wrote:

They are definitely a better team. I think people here need to admit that. They have more talent in the trenches, special teams, RB position, and overall defense.

I just don't think we're as bad as people think because of these two losses.

"nerdmann" wrote:

They played more consistently. I still like our talent better. We have a better defense hands down. They're tough on the Dline, but so are we.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

Ironic that the vikes fan on here is the most rational. On Defense this team needs youth to fill in for Woodson and Harris, but otherwise is fine for years to come. !

Offense needs a replacement for Grant, and 1-2 real tackles (Barbre/Lang are/will be very compotent back-ups) and maybe one more wr to replace Driver. Otherwise that too is going to be very good for years to come.

If Ted Thompson FINALLY splurges this offseason on 1-2 tackles, and maybe some inside depth, this is a young team poised for some very good things in the future!

"dfosterf" wrote:

I agree with that.

And getting back to Lang, the dude is 6'4" and has real heart. I could easily see him pumping some steel and being that LT we need. It just ain't gonna happen this year. Get some premier O-linemen, let 'em all fight it out, etc. If lang puts on some poundage (for example) he could probably play LG RT ...or LT

I don't know what good that does us for this year, but we are done this year anyway. We are done...not because of losing to the Vikings taking us 2 1/2 back, or projections of wild card spots, etc.

We are done because we do not have the talent on our offensive line to protect our QB when playing good defenses. Anybody see a playoff bound team with a bad defense?

I would also argue that we do not have the offensive line talent to fairly evaluate our Running Backs. I don't see any holes. You see any holes?

Don't give me the "seam" bullshit. I bought that bullshit three years ago. No more.

Big, mean, corn-fed linemen. Make holes. Win the one on one matchup.

It is simple. It has been how it's been done for awhile now.

I don't give a damn what scheme they run as a blocking unit. I just want the guys executing it to be superior athletes. Scheme don't fix inferior athleticism.

Nothing personal against anyone. Sorry if my tone is wrong. I'm pissed. Again. About the same fucking thing.

"musccy" wrote:

DRAFT FOR NEED!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

Big, mean, corn-fed linemen. Make holes. Win the one on one matchup.

It is simple. It has been how it's been done for awhile now.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

That's what some of us have been saying for awhile now. We're a passing team with run blocking OL scheme. Make sense? Doesn't to me. Although apparently I know nothing according to you because I'm not on the same page as a few scouts you googled. And when it comes to OL, I'll agree with that prediction, lol. I've always just thought OL shoudl be big, nasty, mean and ruthless. I think we have some fluffers on our OL.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Well, I don't think they zone block on passing plays. That's one of the big negatives about the zBS. It shows the defense whether you are running or passing by the way the offensive linemen come off the snap.
That and it's stupid.
nerdmann
14 years ago

The foundation for a great team has been poured. Look at the talent - Rodgers, Jennings, Finley, Quinn Johnson, James Jones, Jordy...etc. But I'm now convinced that McCarthy and Thompson are not the ones that are going to be able to finish building the house.

Goofy metaphor, but that's how I feel. The same problems keep being repeated over and over and that's a coaching issue. The lack of talent along hte offensive line was evident, and that's on Thompson.

Hopefully, a veteran coach will see that the cupboard is far from bare, and will be happy to jump to Green Bay.

"bigfog" wrote:

Ted Thompson had loaded this team with talent. AND cap space.
It's just that the QB and RBs are tripping over each other, occasionally causing fumbles, the Oline plays sloppily and usually doesn't know who to block, and well, the whole zBS thing.
That's all on MM, imo.