nerdmann
14 years ago

Rodgers played a poor game in the first half yesterday but played an exceptional game in the second half.. that speaks well to him overall.

"pack93z" wrote:

McCarthy started to help him out a bit in the second half too. Why we're running these slow-developing 5 and 7 step drops when we can't protect a lick is beyond me. Call some three step drops and let your WRs make some plays after the catch.

"TOPackerFan" wrote:

Exactly.. stated that in a couple threads here.. tried to keep these positive threads positive.. lol.

But Mike McCarthy and the first half play calling was silly as hell.. people point at the D, but they manned up and made some stops in this game..

"pack93z" wrote:

That's right. The Offense couldn't do jack in the first half, causing the Vikes to get the ball at midfield every single time. This is not on the D, by far.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

I didn't get to see the first Vikings game, but I can say that the entire first half of last night's game, I was having flashbacks to the 2007 Cowboys game in which Favre inexplicably came out throwing long bombs that were promptly intercepted. Time after time, McCarthy's gameplanning seems to break down in the really big games. It's like he out-thinks and intimidates himself. A little less trickery and a lot more playing to our personnel's strengths would be a welcome change.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Yeah, why always try to trick or finesse them? Why not just be better than them? We showed we could do that in the second half.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

I didn't get to see the first Vikings game, but I can say that the entire first half of last night's game, I was having flashbacks to the 2007 Cowboys game in which Favre inexplicably came out throwing long bombs that were promptly intercepted. Time after time, McCarthy's gameplanning seems to break down in the really big games. It's like he out-thinks and intimidates himself. A little less trickery and a lot more playing to our personnel's strengths would be a welcome change.

"evad04" wrote:

t

Outclassed and outcoached, the story of Mike McCarthy in big games!!

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Didn't A-Rod come in and direct the offense with relative success in that Cowboys game? So ... when Favre failed (looked like a nutcase in that came) it's McCarthy's poor gameplan. Then Rodgers comes in and ...

Just wondering. Who gets the credit? I say follow the trend on these boards. When Rodgers came in against the Cowboys two years ago, it wasn't McCarthy's playcalling at ALL -- it was Rodgers playing well.

Now, Rodgers leads the NFL in QB rating (not the be-all-end-all statistic, and yes, he's been sacked 31 times and that's the big problem) but none of the credit goes to the head coach.

I've been accused now formally by buckeye as being a McCarthy apologist/defender (see the shot box). I really don't think that's what I'm doing. I do however think that threads that call for his firing are premature and unwarranted. I just think we need to see the positives along with the negatives.

If Rodgers is -- sans the ridiculous volume of sacks -- having a very good year, are we to assume it's happening in a vacuum? Sure, Rodgers is the absolute shit (which I'd agree with) but the playcalling is crap and our head coach sucks. This is such a logical disconnect it makes me sick to my stomach. Rodgers is the quarterback he is in at least moderate respect to the coach with whom he's built a strong relationship with: McCarthy.

Rodgers can't be playing great without McCarthy's impact, but NO ONE is making that argument. One of the reasons why is the seemingly horny obsession with blaming just about everything on our head coach.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The head coach is responsible for having his team ready to play. MM's teams have consistently come out playing ugly to start games, have consistently had WAY to many penalties, especially in key backbreaking positions and have played quite sloppily.
How many times do the QB and RB have to trip over each other before fans start calling them out? Happened three times in this game, just off the top of my head. One of which caused a fumble. They fumble like this just about once a game.
A couple weeks ago, Arodge was play actioning to a RB that had already run out for a pass.
Then you have the false starts, holding penalties, etc. We have more kick returns with penalties than we do without.
nerdmann
14 years ago

evad04, if you were a little more open minded and less quick to judge, you might understand what I'm trying to say. I have been giving Mike McCarthy credit for a great deal of Aaron Rodgers' exceptional performance. I have stated explicitly and repeatedly that he does have the intelligence and ability to create good gameplans, and when he does, our team excels. In the third quarter, we came out with the kind of strategy we should have been employing from the first play of the first quarter -- and it worked brilliantly. In the 2007 Cowboys game, when Rodgers took over in relief, he played a short-pass, quick-strike game that also worked very well -- and was precisely what everyone expected the Packers to play coming into the game. It was the early attempts at subterfuge that put us two scores down. The moment Favre reared back to uncork those bombs, I was on my feet screaming -- well before they fell into the hands of the waiting defenders. It was a strategy that made no sense.

I readily acknowledge McCarthy is able to draft an excellent gameplan when he doesn't overthink himself. That doesn't mean I won't call him to task when he screws up. In fact, it's because I know he can do it that I judge him so harshly. It's not his talent I question -- it's his stubborness I despise.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I take more issue with his ability to get guys read to play.
I propose a Packers Drinking Game.
Every time one of the following happens, drink!
-Whenever the Oline gets a penalty.
-Whenever the defense gets a phantom "reputation" penalty.
-Whenever the QB and RB run into each other, trip over each other or somehow miscommunicate.
-Penalties on kick returns.
-Missed FG from 45+ yards.
-Sacks. Extra drink of the guy came unblocked.

It's a pattern, and it has gone on for years. Anybody want to play?
nerdmann
14 years ago

I didn't drink a drop yesterday, but had laid in a case of Blue Moon.

The temperature in the garage is dropping rapidly.

That's all I got right now. It's a good one, though. :icon_smile:

Oh, and my quarterback is incredibly friggin' awesome when I consider the lack of help he gets from his line and/or running backs...

At least I know for sure he is trying to make a play. People seem to bitch about some sacks that are "on him"... He ought to wear those as badges of honor...He is a gamer.

"dfosterf" wrote:

He won't be ABLE to run for his life anymore with TWO sprained feet. Those hits are adding up.
He is responsible for losing this game more than anyone else, btw. It's his play (or lack thereof) in the first half that cost us this game.
Which kind of mitigates it a bit. Since it was all about defending him over The Other Guy.
He did seem to learn how to get rid of it fast on blitzes tho. Nice to see him start doing that. I've never seen him do that consistently before.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'd rather avoid acute alcohol poisoning.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago

I propose a Packers Drinking Game.

Every time one of the following happens, drink!

-Whenever the Oline gets a penalty.
-Whenever the defense gets a phantom "reputation" penalty.
-Whenever the QB and RB run into each other, trip over each other or somehow miscommunicate.
-Penalties on kick returns.
-Missed FG from 45+ yards.
-Sacks. Extra drink of the guy came unblocked.

"nerdmann" wrote:

NOPE! Bad Idea... Drinking is meant for celebrating... Not negative plays.

How about we have to smoke crack every time one of these happens, and drink during T.D's and Field Goals?
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Aaron has the number one passer rating in the NFL.

www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/leaders/NFL/PRAT/2009/regular

"RaiderPride" wrote:

I love Aaron, and I'm proud of him. He played a fine game. It's just, our OL sucked, AP kicked Grant's ass, their STs were superior, their playcalling was better, and Brent was near perfect.

Congrats to Aaron.

And RP, I love how you always find the positives. Let me know when you're in SF. First two drinks are on me.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
wpr (40m) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (43m) : *game plan
Martha Careful (1h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (4h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.