Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

The Green Bay Packers drafted Mason Crosby for his strong leg, [img_r]http://images.packers.com/images/action/080421crosby150.jpg[/img_r]which was supposed to serve him well both in the cold and from long range.

Nearly 2 seasons into his NFL career, neither has come completely to fruition.

The Packers havent played a cold-weather game yet this season but in regular-season games in which the temperature at kickoff was 32 degrees or lower, Crosby has made just 61.5 percent of his career kicks. That percentage jumps to 66.7 percent if playoffs are included.

This season, his long-range ability has come into question more so than in his first two pro seasons, when he combined to make 6-of-11 field goals from 50 yards or more. After his critical miss wide right from 51 yards in the fourth quarter of Sundays loss to the Minnesota Vikings, Crosby slipped to 1-of-4 on tries of 50 yards or more this season and 7-of-15 for his career. He also has a miss from 49 yards this season.

The league-wide conversion rate from 50 yards or more this season, including Crosbys four attempts, is 52.8 percent.

Im definitely confident in his leg strength, Packers special teams coach Shawn Slocum. I would like to see him make some of those long kicks, and its something thats been a point of emphasis with him and the way we practice.

Crosby has been nothing if not consistent. He converted 79.5 percent of his field goals as a rookie and 79.4 percent last season. Heading into Sundays game at Tampa Bay, hes at 77.8 percent this season. Of his 18 kicks, his misses have come from 49, 51, 55 and 55 yards. In Week 3 at St. Louis, Crosby missed an extra point for the first time in his pro career.

The Packers spent a sixth-round draft pick on Crosby in 2007 because they were looking for more accuracy than they got in one season from Dave Rayner, another strong-legged kicker who hit 74.3 percent of his kicks in 2006. They said they wanted at least an 80-percent kicker.

Crosby, who played college football in the high altitude at Colorado, was the third and final kicker drafted in 2007. Kansas City picked Justin Medlock out of UCLA in the fifth round (No. 160 overall). He kicked in Week 1 of his rookie year, going 1-for-2, and then got cut. That was his only NFL regular-season game, and he last kicked in the CFL last summer. The Chiefs signed Rayner to replace Medlock, but Rayner didnt last the season.

Dallas took Nick Folk out of Arizona in the sixth round (No. 178 overall), 15 spots before the Packers took Crosby. Folk has been the Cowboys kicker since. He has made 85.3 percent of his field goals, including 5-of-8 from 50-plus.

The belief that Crosby has a strong leg no doubt has increased his opportunities from long range and therefore lowered his career percentage, but its not unreasonable to ask a kicker to convert a little more than half of his 50-plus yard attempts. He has tried nearly twice as many 50-plus yarders than Folk. This season, only one other kicker, Jacksonvilles Josh Scobee, has more attempts from 50-plus this season than Crosby. Scobee is 2-for-5.

My thought process is always make the ones I need to make inside the 50, Crosby said. Thats always my goal. Now this year, three out of my four misses the other one was 49 were from 51 and two from 55. Unfortunately, last game it was in a critical situation. It would have been nice to get that one. The more of those you try, youre not going to be able to make them all, but I feel confident with how Im hitting the ball. I think coach is confident, and I think it shows that he puts me out there for those. Ive just got to dial it in and start making a few of them.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy claimed on Friday that he hasnt lost confidence in Crosbys long-range ability despite the miss against the Vikings at a point when the Packers trailed 31-26.

I understand what the statistics are, McCarthy said. I understand the history and everything, but I think you have to coach the game. You have to coach the situation. If I recall, (the line of scrimmage) was the 31- or 32-yard line. Based on the pregame work that specific day, we felt anything from the 38 in was the range. We were 6 yards in the range. The way the game was going, the importance of the moment, I felt to get that to a three-point game was the risk or the goal that we were trying to achieve. So I dont have an issue with attempting a 51. He has plenty of leg. He just didnt get a good kick on it.

Yeah, I expect him to make a 51-yard field goal, and Mason expects to make it. And if I was in that situation again with all the factors leading up to that decision, I would have kicked it again.

Slocum said Crosby was a little out of balance as he contacted the ball, which is critical on long kicks because the margin of error is slim.

Crosby had an abdomen strain that landed him on the injury report in Weeks 2 and 3, but he said thats no longer an issue.

Hes also had two straight games with problems on kickoffs. Two weeks ago at Cleveland, he kicked two balls out of bounds while trying to kick away from return man Josh Cribbs. Against the Vikings, after two straight successful squib kicks, Crosby was supposed to squib another one but instead slipped and popped the ball up in the air, allowing Percy Harvin to return it 48 yards after the Packers had pulled within 24-20. The Vikings scored on that drive. Harvin earlier had a 77-yard return in the first quarter that prompted the Packers to go to the squib kick.

Really, the two returns were highly impactful, and it hurt us in the game, Slocum said. Thats something we cant do.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
That third "squib" kick that Mike McCarthy claims Crosby slipped. Bull doo doo. I watched it over and over again. He plants his foot right on the 30 yard line, it does not budge at all.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago
Why was Slocum elevated to Special Teams coach after he was assistant Special teams coach of a unit that sucked so much that it caused the special teams coach to be essentially fired?

We still have a Special teams unit that sucks.

Slocum apparently is no help to Crosby, or Kapinos for that matter.
shield4life
14 years ago
Last year I wanted the def to change ... it's been done.

This year I want special teams + o-line coach + I want the Z-B-ull-S-hit out
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
nerdmann
14 years ago
Yeah, I thought we'd be set for a decade with Crosby. Now, not so sure. It really started last year. He wasn't clutch.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Yeah, I guess you could say he is struggling from long range.
UserPostedImage
aa-rod_is_cool
14 years ago

Yeah, I thought we'd be set for a decade with Crosby. Now, not so sure. It really started last year. He wasn't clutch.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Ya he cost us 2 games last year. If he made those kicks we would have been 8-8 instead of 6-10... just sayin.
blank
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
He's 1-4 this year, so say he would have made 1 more, he would be 2-4 and basically at the league average.

I will look at the positve side here, he is 1-4, so if the law of average stays true, MC is due to hit 3 of his next 4 beyond 50 which would make him 4-8 for the season.

So Mike,don't be scaird to put Mason out there the next 4 times, he will make at least 3 of them.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (59m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.