macbob
14 years ago

Next 5 of 6 weeks we have the 9ers, Cowboys, Ravens, at Bears, at Steelers. Yes, we're mathematically still in it but if we cant beat Tampa, i doubt we can win 3 of these games and it will take winning 3 of these to make the playoffs for sure. That is assuming that Seattle & Detroit are guaranteed wins.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

lol. I thought Tampa was a guaranteed win. There aren't any of those.

Even if we make the playoffs, this team has too many holes that we're not going very far. I no longer have any optimism that our current coaching staff can sufficiently address the problems to turn what is now a very mediocre team into one of the best in the NFL.

We've gone through the easy part of our schedule (TB, Stl, Cle, Det with a combined record of 4-28). If we ended up 4-4 against the likes of these teams, are we going to do better than that the rest of our schedule (Pit, Ari, Dal, Bal, SF)? I don't think so. You can figure on 8-8 or worse, with worse being more likely.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Eternal optomist.
I prefer to not get my hopes up too high. That way, if they did surprise me and actually DO something it would be a surprise.
To look at how we have played the first half of the season and looking at our glaring holes in all areas, it's hard for me to keep an optomistic view.

The O-line is no where close to being fixed. It looks as bad as it did in week one. The running game has only done well against teams that are lousy against the run. Any team with a half decent D stops us at 2 yards a run. Our special teams suck all the way around. Any time we get a decent return, you can guarentee we get flagged for a block in the back or holding. Any kickoff is like a chinese fire drill. We would be better just kicking the damn ball out of bounds in every kickoff. I'm not kidding.......when Aaron Rodgers ran in the TD for us, i said to myself out loud "I bet our kickoff will be run back and give the Bucs great field position" and i was 100% right. They got the ball on our 15.
On the punt, a guy runs right up the middle and NO ONE even touches the guy. What the hell do these guys practice in special team drills???
The opposing QB's have all day to find someone, while our O-line can't give Aaron Rodgers time to find anyone open. Usually dependable Greg Jennings lets a pass go right through his hands, and it bounces off a defender into another defender's hands. Breakdowns on ALL fronts against the worst team in the league, starting a 21 year old QB, and they spank us.

Now you know why i no longer have dreams of the playoffs this year. The Cowboys can finish off any possible dreams next week. If we lose that, it's pretty much over. Then it will be playing for "pride".
Don't misunderstand......i still love "my" team, but hold no "green and gold" glasses to look through. I will still cheer them on, and be upset when they lose. You can shovel through the horse S**T, but i don't think there's a pony in the room.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Thank you, RP, and anyone else striving to retain a sense of optimism after two godawfully tough losses. I can't share that optimism right now, but thank you for bringing it in a consistent basis.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
For me there's always something bracingly refreshing about a total fuck-up. It's like jumping into a pool of frigid water. You climb out and realize you survived.

In other words, I'm pissed as hell after the defeat ('cause I'm freezing cold), but then I think it surely can't get any worse (as I'm toweling myself off).
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
Good post RP.

Thats what I was thinking.

The division thing is done IMO. Even if we go 8-0 and the Vikings go 5-3, we STILL lose on tiebreakers to Vikings. Isn't that crazy? That if the Vikings win like two more games, they will basically ahve clinched the division if Bears and Packers lose? (and they have Lions and Seahawks next).

But Wildcard is very possible because many teams in the NFC suck. IF we lose next week though, its over IMO. That would be another conference loss and to a team that we're battling with.

Are we a "playoff team" right now. NO. But a lot can happen in 8 games and we could find an identity (maybe get a new HC, etc, haha). So its not over at all, 4-4 in the NFC you are still in the picture.

But if we play the way we did today, its over. Are we alive? Yes. But do I have a lot of hope after losing to a 0-7 team, not really. But I will have faith as long as possible.

Btw - watching Dallas now, they are pretty good.
blank
shield4life
14 years ago
It's been a really sad season. Playoffs hopes are dying quickly. If we lose next week we're done, probably not mathematically but in reality knowing this team we all know it's a long shot even from now.

The talent is there but it's not being utilized properly.
Mike McCarthy was brought here to groom AR, that's been completed his services will be no longer needed. Now bring a coach that can win games and not only groom a QB.
Mike McCarthy had a major roll in AR's play ... but nothing more to this team.

We also need an o-line coach. (Please Ted Thompson draft a RB in the first round a monster one).

Special teams wow ... Do I even need to brag about it?
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
El3ment12
14 years ago
I feel if I denounce the season as over now, I will not enjoy watching the packers. I want to enjoy watching them and being optimistic that we will see improvement. Maybe this loss will spark some kind of crazy run, who knows. I really don 't want to see McCarthy or Ted fired, but if it has to happen, it has to. I really hope we pull it together and win win win, because When you have to clean house your team is in a major rebuilding stage, and that sucks.
Cheesey
14 years ago
I'd post more in this thread, but they don't have internet hookup at the "Blue Trucker Motel".
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Hey!!! A trucker just let me use his wireless!!!

I'm not giving up on "my" Packers. I won't until it's officially over.....even then I'll still cheer them on.
Yesterday didn't give me alot of hope, but hey, each week is a possibility that we can right this ship.
So bring on the Cowgirls.
UserPostedImage
macbob
14 years ago
I'm not giving up on the Packers...heck, suffered through the 70s and 80s and didn't give up on them then. But in a lot of ways, this team is beginning to remind me of those teams. Good teams find ways to win games, bad teams find ways to lose games. Against the Bucs, we were a bad team.

I just can't get over how poorly we performed, coming off of the loss to the Vikings I expected our guys to come out with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. And this is what we got: Tampa, with 11 sacks ALL SEASON got 6 sacks against us, having scored a grand total of 96 pts all season they score 38(!!!) against us, with 21 their season high pts coming into this game they scored 21 against us in an 11 minute span, when the game was on the line.

If our problems are correctable, as McCarthy keeps saying in his press conferences, then he should be fired for not correcting them. Correcting them is HIS job.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (13h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.